Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Joe Alleva was Nan Keohane's decision. The search committee recommended Tom MIckle T'72, who had been at Duke and was associate commissioner of the ACC. She consulted Coach K, who recommended his friend Alleva but reportedly said it was OK if she hired Mickle. Feinstein, a member of the search committee was livid at the selection of Alleva -- and carped about it for a good while. He had even brought Mickle up to DC to introduce him to the Duke Sports Club there.
    Nan had tangled with K early in her tenure, and it did not go well for her. When K wanted Alleva, he got Alleva..I don't think she cared enough about athletics to put up much of a fight.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Whoa, you live in Forest Hills?! Did you ever make it over to the West Side Tennis Club to watch the US Open in person before it moved to Flushing Meadow in 1978?

I was too young to have attended the Open when it was still held at the WSTC, but I’ve read lots of stories about it. That’s probably right at the top of my wish-I-could-go-back-in-time sports fantasies list.
    My mom grew up in a huge tennis family, and they were members of the West Side. Lots of memories of enjoying the Open before the move to Flushing Meadows. FM is fun, too, but will never have the charm of Forest Hills.

On subject, with the retirement months out, what kind of timeline can we expect for his successor to be hired?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stan Wilcox, our former Senior Deputy AD who is currently AD at FSU, would also be a strong candidate.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Stan Wilcox, our former Senior Deputy AD who is currently AD at FSU, would also be a strong candidate.
    How long has he been there watching over the decline of their football program?
    No thank you.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

True -- and there are some of the FSU faithful that would pay us to take him back.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

True -- and there are some of the FSU faithful that would pay us to take him back.
    Similar to how most Notre Dame fans about Dr. White when Duke was last recruiting an AD.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    How long has he been there watching over the decline of their football program?
    No thank you.
    Stan Wilcox left FSU in 2018 after 2 years for an NCAA VP position.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

As a fellow lawyer, I nominate our own Nina King to replace Dr. White.
    Agreed. Seems White's been grooming her for the job for years. I see Mike Cragg as candidate 1B and other than that I'm not sure if there a "real" national search.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Stan Wilcox left FSU in 2018 after 2 years for an NCAA VP position.
    Cool, thanks. The poster I was replying to had said "currently AD at FSU."

I will nominate Shane Battier.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Agreed. Seems White's been grooming her for the job for years. I see Mike Cragg as candidate 1B and other than that I'm not sure if there a "real" national search.
    The standard line at Duke University for any vacancy in leadership in any area is, "We will conduct a national search to find the best candidate." I expect that to happen here, although I wouldn't be surprised if the choice ends up as King or Cragg.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I will nominate Shane Battier.
    I second the nomination.

I actually think President Price wants people from outside of Duke. I fully expect an external candidate much like when White was hired years ago.

The Chronicle weighs in on potential candidates for replacing Dr. White.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ox-tyra-hocutt
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

yes, it's hard to imagine that some AD experience won't be required. It's a big job entailing both financial and personnel requirements...Would not seem wise to hire someone who had never managed before, especially since AD work has become MUCH more complex since the days of Tom Butters (and I'm saying nothing negative about Tom)...the budget numbers are WAY bigger, lots more women's sports, much more personnel work.

Duke should have gobs of applicants...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, it's hard to imagine that some AD experience won't be required. It's a big job entailing both financial and personnel requirements...Would not seem wise to hire someone who had never managed before, especially since AD work has become MUCH more complex since the days of Tom Butters (and I'm saying nothing negative about Tom)...the budget numbers are WAY bigger, lots more women's sports, much more personnel work.

Duke should have gobs of applicants...
    Maybe Adam Silver can take the job, and then we'll need strip searches and have to give a DNA sample to get into games!
    1200. DDMF.

The Chronicle weighs in on potential candidates for replacing Dr. White.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ox-tyra-hocutt
    Anyway, as a long-time Chronicle type, I think we can reveal its list:

• Nina King
    • Mike Cragg
    • Danny White (son of, and AD at UCF)
    • Stan Wilcox (formerly at Duke, then AD at FSU, now official at the NCAA)
    • Vince Tyra (AD at L'ville)
    • Kirby Hocutt (AD at Texas Tech)

IMHO (where the H got lost when I dropped the baton), the issues facing a new AD are (a) business: the economic survival of Duke athletics -- always an issue, but especially important after the pandemic); (b) leadership; (c) selection of coaches; (d) enforcement of Duke values.
    Sage Grouse

I'm still pushing for Shane Battier. He has all of the intangibles to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I'm still pushing for Shane Battier. He has all of the intangibles to succeed.
    He also seemed to have all the intangibles to succeed as a broadcaster.

Anyway, as a long-time Chronicle type, I think we can reveal its list:

• Nina King
    • Mike Cragg
    • Danny White (son of, and AD at UCF)
    • Stan Wilcox (formerly at Duke, then AD at FSU, now official at the NCAA)
    • Vince Tyra (AD at L'ville)
    • Kirby Hocutt (AD at Texas Tech)
    This is a solid list. Nina King would be particularly fabulous!
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 01-18-2021 at 07:00 AM.