Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    As a fellow lawyer, I nominate our own Nina King to replace Dr. White.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Would K consider giving up coaching to take the VP of Athletics job ?
    K probably recommending a family member for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    K probably recommending a family member for the post.
    John Feinstein suggests Mike Cragg, and believes K would be down with that:

https://twitter.com/jfeinsteinbooks/...493676545?s=21
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

At the risk of putting too fine a point on my comment, I was not referring to the Duke family.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    As a fellow lawyer, I nominate our own Nina King to replace Dr. White.
    As long as it’s not the Admiral I’m 😃

Hopefully Duke’s next AD won’t have to find a replacement for Duke’s most successful coach.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    As long as it’s not the Admiral I’m 😃
    220px-David_Robinson_13636-0427.jpg

Objection!!

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

Mike has done a great job here at St. John’s. He also happens to be my neighbor in Forest Hills. A really good person.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Mike has done a great job here at St. John’s. He also happens to be my neighbor in Forest Hills. A really good person.
    Whoa, you live in Forest Hills?! Did you ever make it over to the West Side Tennis Club to watch the US Open in person before it moved to Flushing Meadow in 1978?

I was too young to have attended the Open when it was still held at the WSTC, but I’ve read lots of stories about it. That’s probably right at the top of my wish-I-could-go-back-in-time sports fantasies list.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Hopefully Duke’s next AD won’t have to find a replacement for Duke’s most successful coach.
    I was about to make a "Wait, why would Kara Lawson leave so soon?" joke, but her win-loss percentage of 75% is not as good as those of Coach K* (76.7%) or Vic Bubas (76.1%).

* His head coaching record just at Duke is even higher: 78.7%.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Whoa, you live in Forest Hills?! Did you ever make it over to the West Side Tennis Club to watch the US Open in person before it moved to Flushing Meadow in 1978?

I was too young to have attended the Open when it was still held at the WSTC, but I’ve read lots of stories about it. That’s probably right at the top of my wish-I-could-go-back-in-time sports fantasies list.
    I lived in Forest Hills until I was 2. My parents met on the tennis courts in Forest Hills.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

Yes, and many of the concerts in the 60s and 70s. And at the rehabbed stadium-now a venue for concerts.

I live a few blocks away from the WSTC, in Forest Hills Gardens. Mike lives a block from me. See him when we’re walking our dogs (he has 2).

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    My parents met on the tennis courts in Forest Hills.
    That’s awesome!

am I sniffing a Danowski reference here, sir? He is quite possibly my favorite Duke coach...speaking with him is really a pleasure, not a word of coach speak out of his mouth.

Not sure if Nina King has enough seasoning...K will certainly get a vote or ten...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I was about to make a "Wait, why would Kara Lawson leave so soon?" joke, but her win-loss percentage of 75% is not as good as those of Coach K* (76.7%) or Vic Bubas (76.1%).

* His head coaching record just at Duke is even higher: 78.7%.
    I was referring to the coach with the greatest number of NCAA titles to his credit. Which is not K. Or Dano.

I was referring to the coach with the greatest number of NCAA titles to his credit. Which is not K. Or Dano.
    I’ll give it a try: Dan Brooks (Women’s Golf).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I suspect K will make the new AD's job easier by essentially naming his own successor...that would provide a needed inoculation for the new AD (don't blame me!)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I suspect K will make the new AD's job easier by essentially naming his own successor...that would provide a needed inoculation for the new AD (don't blame me!)...
    My sarcasm meter is in the repair shop so I can't tell how serious you are.

I'd be surprised if K attempts to name his own successor. His military background and his seeming respect for systems make me think that he would not do this. But, who knows?
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-16-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

My sarcasm meter is in the repair shop so I can't tell how serious you are.

I'd be surprised if K attempts to name his own successor. His military background and his seeming respect for systems make me think that he would not do this. But, who knows?
    I think he will have very very substantial input...and I do think that the new AD may well accede to K's wishes since, as I say, it somewhat inoculates that person from possible subsequent heat. That's a bit of political thinking, but I think it's warranted.
    I bet K and the AD can reach an accommodation.

Regarding what K may or may not do, I will point out that the choice of Alleva as AD was clearly his choice, much has been written about that, so I think K has historically gotten a lot of justified input, and I see that continuing.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-16-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think he will have very very substantial input...and I do think that the new AD may well accede to K's wishes since, as I say, it somewhat inoculates that person from possible subsequent heat. That's a bit of political thinking, but I think it's warranted.
    I bet K and the AD can reach an accommodation.

Regarding what K may or may not do, I will point out that the choice of Alleva as AD was clearly his choice, much has been written about that, so I think K has historically gotten a lot of justified input, and I see that continuing.
    Joe Alleva was Nan Keohane's decision. The search committee recommended Tom MIckle T'72, who had been at Duke and was associate commissioner of the ACC. She consulted Coach K, who recommended his friend Alleva but reportedly said it was OK if she hired Mickle. Feinstein, a member of the search committee was livid at the selection of Alleva -- and carped about it for a good while. He had even brought Mickle up to DC to introduce him to the Duke Sports Club there.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013