Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cutcliffe announces staff changes

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The term "Co-Offensive Coordinator" is so confusing.
    Is Cutcliffe relinquishing his role there, or will it now be a trifecta?

"That play sucked, but blame clearly falls on the other two."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thank you for the link. Looks like Cut will not be calling plays. I'm going to try and be optimistic with the addition and changes he made. But we still need some play makers and help on the OL and DL. That's a lot to ask for.

GoDuke!

Well...a couple things stand out. The primary one is the continued descent (at least from the standpoint of responsibility) of Zac Roper continues...he's the top ranked assistant by title (Deputy Head Coach) yet he's gone from being offensive coordinator to QB coach to tight ends. Faris is going to call plays? He's headed in the other direction, from tight end coach to chief play caller.
    Not sure what Boyette knows about wide receivers, but this happens sometimes in football.

So we now have a head coach, an associate head coach, five coordinators and three regular position coaches. This looks more like a blame-shifting exercise. Can't criticize the coordinator if everyone is the coordinator!

More seriously, I don't know what this does. We now have the same coaches, but coaching positions they don't have as much experience with. I'm willing to give Cutcliffe a pass for this past year because we tried to keep the players safe instead of just letting it run rampant through the team, but this is the same as saying 'I don't like our coaching, but am unwilling to make any real staff changes".

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven's Guardian View Post
    So we now have a head coach, an associate head coach, five coordinators and three regular position coaches. This looks more like a blame-shifting exercise. Can't criticize the coordinator if everyone is the coordinator!

More seriously, I don't know what this does. We now have the same coaches, but coaching positions they don't have as much experience with. I'm willing to give Cutcliffe a pass for this past year because we tried to keep the players safe instead of just letting it run rampant through the team, but this is the same as saying 'I don't like our coaching, but am unwilling to make any real staff changes".
    don't forget we have a Deputy Head Coach (Roper, who seems on the descent);

No matter who has what offensive title, I fully expect we'll be seeing the very same Cutcliffe offense as we've seen before, absolutely nothing new...which may please some, displease others.

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    that precise observation was one I was going to make, but I wanted to be Mr. Positive (I strongly suspect you're right).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    that precise observation was one I was going to make, but I wanted to be Mr. Positive (I strongly suspect you're right).
    +one

Once again, no internal accountability for this season. Just swapping titles around.

Frustration, but at least I was expecting it.

This pretty much sums up my reaction to the changes. Not much I can add.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Per the new guy (Calvin Magee, running backs), here's his bio. Lots of coaching and playing experience.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Magee
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This pretty much sums up my reaction to the changes. Not much I can add.
    I’m willing to write off Covid hell year and give Cut another chance. What else can we do. I mean no disrespect to our last quarterback, but our new quarterback should be more mobile, something we have to have with our line play. Plus we do get back some injured offensive lineman, unless some moved on and I missed it. I’m almost more worried about our defense. We had a lot of players moving on from a pitiful defense. Maybe we can all get a vaccine and a dose of optimism.

I don’t know why they even announced this.

Like a lot of you, I m a hard core Duke homer, the kind of guy who can always see light at the end of the tunnel. With Blue Devils football, I’m in the dark, and the view is the same from every angle.
    GTHC

Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    don't forget we have a Deputy Head Coach (Roper, who seems on the descent);

No matter who has what offensive title, I fully expect we'll be seeing the very same Cutcliffe offense as we've seen before, absolutely nothing new...which may please some, displease others.
    Budwom, I expect that we will see the same offense, which was dismally uncreative and predictable.

I'm curious about whom you think will be pleased by this...our opponents?
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

{sigh}

Duke football in 2020 - Things are broken. We need Cut to call the plays! That will fix it!
    Duke football in 2021 - Things are broken. We should not burden Cut with calling the plays! That will fix it!

Color me less than optimistic...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

To summarize, we need one of the following to happen in order to be more successful:

A) Better playmakers to make our poor schemes work.

B) Better schemes to make our existing players more effective.

Neither of these are likely to happen with our existing staff, IMHO.

I completely agree with this. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if Cut made a few phone calls and was turned down by anyone who was worth hiring. Because what decent coach who currently has a stable job (and it is logical to assume that the best coaches by definitely usually have stable jobs) would leave that position to work for a coach who is somewhat unlikely to be employed in a year and highly unlikely to be employed in two years?

I almost feel like he decided to inflate a few more titles to help his assistants in their job searches which seem inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    +one
    And here I was thinking I was going to be original.