Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McCallie

Article

Appalled by this article. This is exactly why Coach P is going to help erase the stigma of mental health and offer support and motivation for those struggling with bi-polar. Do you know some of the most successful people are (or were) bipolar? This is in poor taste, disrespectful, politically incorrect and disturbingly harsh. She should be applauded for being brave enough to go public despite people who write articles based on assumption, speculation, small-mindedness and judgement such as this. She had incredible success despite some adversity. Read the book. You may learn something you can pass along in a kind, mindful way.

Psychiatrist here.

Most mean spirited and misguided article I’ve ever read on DBR. The author—who has written a lot of good stuff for DBR—needs to apologize to our former coach as well as to the members of the DBR community who have psychiatric disorders, quickly get back in his lane, and stay there.

Amazon Summary of 'Secret Warrior'

From Amazon:

Secret Warrior is a compelling memoir following Joanne McCallie's mental health journey through the realities and challenges within the sports world. Using the recurring theme of "faith over fear" to reduce the stigma associated with impaired mental health and encourage those suffering from mental health issues to reach out-to coaches, student-athletes, and to all people across the world-Joanne offers real direction, experiences, and personal stories to teach and reassure those adversely affected by the dynamics of the mind and body experience. Motivational and heartfelt, Secret Warrior drives home the need for more education, stories, action, and an overall change to the narrative about brain health.
    Not much detail here.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Psychiatrist here.

Most mean spirited and misguided article I’ve ever read on DBR. The author—who has written a lot of good stuff for DBR—needs to apologize to our former coach as well as to the members of the DBR community who have psychiatric disorders, quickly get back in his lane, and stay there.
    I agree that an apology should be issued.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Psychiatrist here.

Totally agree. I'm often guilty about speculating about these types of things but this really crosses the line. Fine to mention that the book is coming out and comment on the overall theme, but leave it at that.

Whoever is talking to the author of the article should tell them to post the apology to this thread (or post a link to it here) - many of us don't really read the front page very much and are mainly on the boards, and this article further justifies that decision.

Yes! Further to that, I think the author should commend her perseverance and her courage in trying to erase the stigma...

It’s an effort we should all be cheering given the millions of new mental health issues that will arise from this pandemic.

Four comments: First, it had been rumored for some time that McCallie had bipolar. Second, while bipolar can often be well controlled with treatment, that’s not always the case. It’s pure speculation but incompletely controlled bipolar certainly could have contributed to McCallie’s struggles as a coach. Third, let’s remember 1995. I don’t know of any explanation for what happened then that doesn’t include psychiatric issues. For goodness sake, Coach K completely isolated himself from the team for months. Back pain doesn’t explain that. Fourth, mental illness is part of life. Virtually all of us have loved ones who have significant psychiatric illness. None of us is immune. In my book, Coach K having some problems at one point in his life or Coach P having chronic problems which may or may not have affected her job performance isn’t unusual or surprising.

Article is still up?

Saw it this AM and knew right away there was a lot wrong with it. Wasn't able to come here until late today and see the much-deserved backlash. Stigmatizing mental illness is able-ist and I'm glad someone upthread mentioned the ADA.

I am surprised that the article is still on the front page and not replace with an apology by now. Is DBR that desperate for click bait?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Nothing new to add but that I agree with the criticism of the front page article. I was uncomfortable reading it.
    I agree 100 percent.

I was never a fan of McCallie; I was a tremendous fan of Coach G.

But the article was not what I expected from this usually intelligent site.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Saw it this AM and knew right away there was a lot wrong with it. Wasn't able to come here until late today and see the much-deserved backlash. Stigmatizing mental illness is able-ist and I'm glad someone upthread mentioned the ADA.

I am surprised that the article is still on the front page and not replace with an apology by now. Is DBR that desperate for click bait?
    I too am shocked to see it still there. I called by e-mail for its removal many, many hours ago. It may be time to contact the public relations folks at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I too am shocked to see it still there. I called by e-mail for its removal many, many hours ago. It may be time to contact the public relations folks at Duke.
    DBR is not affiliated with Duke, not sure why that would have any effect?

I agree with pretty much everyone here, its not often I read something on DBR and feel dirty afterwards. Mental illness should not be stigmatized.

Agree.

Agree. So arrogant, insensitive, uninformed.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    DBR is not affiliated with Duke, not sure why that would have any effect?
    It is sporting the Duke brand. Duke will regard that as quite important, I assure you. And the article, inexplicably, is STILL posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It is sporting the Duke brand. Duke will regard that as quite important, I assure you. And the article, inexplicably, is STILL posted.
    while some may know differently, i doubt DBR is more than a blip on their radar, and that there may be a less than positive article about a previous employee posted on it, even less so.

If Duke wanted this site to stop using its trademark, it would almost surely be for legal reasons and have nothing to do with a random article.
    1200. DDMF.

Here's the nice way to say it: this board and its mods are far ahead in quality of the front page articles (excluding the ones by people like Jim Sumner). Made me feel better to see the reactions of everyone here, which I agree with.

I didn't expect to be commenting on this subject this morning.

I am not an expert (by education) in this subject, but unfortunately by experience. The diagnosis of mental disorders are a journey, are most often painted with a broad brush, are sometimes imprecise, and may never be right or a good fit for an individual. You have autism spectrums (hardly sufficient at one dimension), ADHD, and Bi-Polar (which looks an awful lot like ADHD in many cases, especially in the young, but is treated and responds differently) that overlap and have similarities; but this definition and related treatments do not work well for many (if not most) people (lots of trial and error must be endured). And the treatments (especially drugs) are limited and get progressively more harsh with side effects for the subjects. Just my layman's description of something I wish I knew less of.

That McCallie came to Duke as a successful coach and interviewed well was all that should have counted. I fully agree with the comments relating to the ADA. But I don't think the accommodations of the ADA are intended to cover the things that are of concern wrt coaching. If she exposed her disability would she have been allowed to recruit during dark periods (oh please).

If this thread is just to slam the author for speculating about all of the types of mental illness Coach McCallie could have, then sure, have at it. The general subject of the book could have been introduced and such speculation could have been discussed in the EK Board. But that Coach P more than demonstrated that she had the ability to fulfill the duties of a coach long before she got to Duke, without her mental state being exposed or discussed.

If we look back at behaviors of coaches whose mental state could have been questioned based on public displays, there is a long list (now that could be a thread). McCallie wouldn't have been one of them.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Timing

We should probably take up this issue after the book comes out so that we can make more informed comments.

At the same time, I can't say I'm shocked by the revelations.

Nothing new to add, but would like to join the chorus. Terribly disappointed with this article. It is the worst thing I have read on this website. As someone else mentioned, beyond the mean-spiritedness of it, it seems as if the authors are oblivious to the fact that discrimination against someone because the person has a mental health disability but who can perform the essential function of the job would be illegal. It reads as if it was an article written by someone 25 years ago. Or by someone who has been living in a cave for decades. Very disappointing

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    For those looking to raise their voice loud enough that someone on the front page listens, maybe you are shouting at the wrong people. Send a message to the parent site, SB Nation, or even better, a mental health advocacy group or two. The old axiom "all press is good press" only goes so far, especially if your advertising dollars are put at risk.
    (Which is another thought, you could also email advertisers.)
    CC the front page folks on your protesting emails, and if they see that you are trying to make waves with people they actually care about, they might pay attention.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."