Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    postponed games?

    I don't see how we will play the postponed games (FSU/Pitt) if we aren't attempting to do it this week? This is Duke's full week off and corresponds with playing Pitt - why not play two days consecutive at Pitt as many teams are? As in the 19th (scheduled) and the 20th? Many conferences are doing this w back-to-back games. If we don't play one of the postponed games this week I don't see that there is really a strong effort to make those games up - might as well just call them 'cancelled'... Unless the other opponent cancels for COVID (say a PITT/FSU opponent on a later date) and we could work it in then. Just noting I haven't seen much effort in the ACC to make up postponed games... I just haven't heard of any work to reschedule these for any ACC team.

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    i'm happy to drop the FSU game, but would love a second game against pitt.
    basketball is back, baby!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I don't see how we will play the postponed games (FSU/Pitt) if we aren't attempting to do it this week? This is Duke's full week off and corresponds with playing Pitt - why not play two days consecutive at Pitt as many teams are? As in the 19th (scheduled) and the 20th? Many conferences are doing this w back-to-back games. If we don't play one of the postponed games this week I don't see that there is really a strong effort to make those games up - might as well just call them 'cancelled'... Unless the other opponent cancels for COVID (say a PITT/FSU opponent on a later date) and we could work it in then. Just noting I haven't seen much effort in the ACC to make up postponed games... I just haven't heard of any work to reschedule these for any ACC team.

    thoughts?
    Below is the current, existing schedule for Saturday & Sunday. We are the only team "off." You rightly note, there would need to be a COVID issue in the Carolina program or the Syracuse program, resulting in a postponement of one of those games, in order for us to play FSU or Pitt *unless* they were willing to turn around and play Duke sometime on Sunday. FSU might, because their game with us would have been a home game and they are at home one Saturday. Pitt almost certainly won't agree to travel to Durham to play Duke in Cameron on Sunday and then again in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, but I suppose anything is possible. [Edit: I don’t see further unbalancing the schedule by playing Pitt twice on the road, rather than home-and-home, although that matters less without fans.]

    Saturday
    [31]Florida State (1-1) (-2) hosts [29]North Carolina (2-2) (12:00, ESPN)
    [76]Pittsburgh (1-4) (+1) hosts [39]Syracuse (1-1) (12:00, ACCNX)
    [49]NC State (2-2) (-5) hosts [70]Georgia Tech (2-1) (2:00, ACCNX)
    [89]Notre Dame (0-4) (-3) hosts [105]Boston College (0-5) (4:00, ACCN)
    [18]Clemson (3-1) (-2) hosts [15]Virginia (3-0) (6:00, ESPN)
    [62]Miami (1-4) (+2) hosts [26]Louisville (3-0) (8:00, ACCN)

    Sunday
    [125]Wake Forest (0-3) (+7) hosts [33]Virginia Tech (3-1) (6:00, ACCN)
    Last edited by Tripping William; 01-13-2021 at 09:25 AM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    The Tu-Sat format does allow you to play a game on Thursday. We did this in 2014 when the UNC game was iced out, and it did not turn out well. I would not be surprised if we start getting a new schedule on short notice if games are cancelled early enough.

    Remember that UCLA and Cal played a football game on 24 hours notice. It's an 8 hour drive between the schools. It's really easy for NCSU or VT to get to Cameron if they have a mutual open date.
    Last edited by duke2x; 01-13-2021 at 10:50 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The Tu-Sat format does allow you to play a game on Thursday. We did this in 2014 when the UNC game was iced out, and it did not turn out well. I would not be surprised if we start getting a new schedule on short notice if games are cancelled early enough.

    Remember that UCLA and Cal played a football game on 24 hours notice. It's an 8 hour drive between the schools. It's really easy for NCSU or VT to get to Cameron if they have a mutual open date.
    Impressive that Coastal Carolina and BYU set a football game on 3 days notice (cross-country) when Liberty had to cancel vs CCU. If that can be done there is no reason the ACC can't set basketball games on the fly. I just haven't seen it and am beginning to wonder if we will

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Impressive that Coastal Carolina and BYU set a football game on 3 days notice (cross-country) when Liberty had to cancel vs CCU. If that can be done there is no reason the ACC can't set basketball games on the fly. I just haven't seen it and am beginning to wonder if we will
    The ACC has already done it at least once this season. UNC played ND back on the 2nd after their game against Syracuse was postponed due to Covid. They announced that 2 day prior.

    https://twitter.com/unc_basketball/s...700962816?s=21
    Check out the DBR Podcast!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    I'm a little surprised we didn't host GT Saturday night after their trip to NCSU was cancelled. They already paid for the charter.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Impressive that Coastal Carolina and BYU set a football game on 3 days notice (cross-country) when Liberty had to cancel vs CCU. If that can be done there is no reason the ACC can't set basketball games on the fly. I just haven't seen it and am beginning to wonder if we will
    BYU football had the {flexibility} benefit of being Independent.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    BYU football had the {flexibility} benefit of being Independent.
    Good point. Still I donít see much effort to reschedule these - which really stinks for Clemson AT UNC which was ppd

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Duke @ FSU (Sat 1/2, 8:00 pm, ESPN2) POSTPONED
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 01-04-2021, 02:55 PM
  2. ACC hoops postponed; first of many to come?
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2020, 06:09 PM
  3. MBB: Duke v Gardner-Webb (POSTPONED)
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 11-26-2020, 10:24 PM
  4. MBB: Duke at UNC postponed to 2/20
    By Onlyduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 12:52 AM
  5. Maryland vs. Virginia postponed
    By arydolphin in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •