Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke-VT Postgame thread

Is everyone just too bummed to be doing this? What a game to forget. The first 10 minutes we looked like a high school team. Made a nice run to cut the deficit and make it a game, but then just fell in love with the three ball. We had plenty of time and could have kept driving the lane but instead clanked one terrible three after another. The slow starts are a pattern, as they were last season. We can get away with it against BC and Wake (barely) but against a decent opponent it’s too much to overcome.

Hurt did his thing and Roach had a great game. Brakefield showed he deserves more minutes. That’s about it. Baker’s defense was good while he was out there but he can’t get himself open for a shot. Still not much offensive creativity other than high ball screens and an occasional horns set.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Preseason, if I told you Jalen Johnson would miss our first 4 ACC games and we’d go 3-1 in that stretch, I bet most here would take that deal.

We played horribly in the first half but showed some grit getting back into things. Joey showed some major heart and hustle. Matt continues to take steps forward. And we’ll be a very different team with a healthy Jalen.

It’s a weird year, and it’s gonna keep being weird. Let’s look for the positives and move on to the next play.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Preseason, if I told you Jalen Johnson would miss our first 4 ACC games and we’d go 3-1 in that stretch, I bet most here would take that deal.

We played horribly in the first half but showed some grit getting back into things. Joey showed some major heart and hustle. Matt continues to take steps forward. And we’ll be a very different team with a healthy Jalen.

It’s a weird year, and it’s gonna keep being weird. Let’s look for the positives and move on to the next play.
    Duke losing in Blacksburg is anything but wierd. If anything it's a sign that things are returning to normal.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Duke losing in Blacksburg is anything but wierd. If anything it's a sign that things are returning to normal.
    You must spread around... touché.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Dug ourselves a big hole first 15 minutes. Showed a lot of toughness afterwards. Va Tech tried to give us an Avenue to possibly win in the final four minutes. Too many bad jump shots, just couldn’t convert. Hurt and Roach played well and Baker and Brakefield did some good hustle plays. We get Johnson back and mature a little more and by mid Feb. we should be a lot more together and better. I like what this team could be by March.

It’s a weird year for all the other teams, too. Duke’s just struggling: no Quad 1 or Quad 2 wins yet. Plenty of chances for more but right now we can’t even say a tournament birth in a 64 team field is a certainty. Guess what I’m trying to say is, it’s over.

Seriously though, I don’t think we can discount the difference it might be making, that Duke’s played so few games. VT came into tonight having almost 2x as many games under their belt compared to this Duke team. Hopefully that disadvantage will go away as the year goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    i mean, it's not much of a deal given the 3 wins are against the 3 current winless teams. I said in another thread, I'm happy we have 3 wins, but i'm not happy with how we played, and we largely played to the level we have in those three wins, and lost to a better team.

we're solidly on the bubble right now.
    1200. DDMF.

It’s a strange feeling

To be playing games where the best player on the court is not a Duke. Guys who are not only strong...but play strong with the ball are really fun to watch. Radford is what I hope guys like Wendell, Jaemyn...even Jalen...can play like.

Our defensive awareness and turnovers are going to be the improvement areas that will dictate our overall success this season.

A Jeremy roach who attacks the rim is my favorite kind of Jeremy roach. Same goes for DJ.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    To be playing games where the best player on the court is not a Duke. Guys who are not only strong...but play strong with the ball are really fun to watch. Radford is what I hope guys like Wendell, Jaemyn...even Jalen...can play like.

Our defensive awareness and turnovers are going to be the improvement areas that will dictate our overall success this season.

A Jeremy roach who attacks the rim is my favorite kind of Jeremy roach. Same goes for DJ.
    we only had 12 TOs. That's not an awful number for a decently fast game. they were concentrated very much at the beginning of the game, too.

Not that they shouldn't happen, but it wasn't the biggest reason for our loss tonight, relative to the shooting disparity (obviously defensive effective on both sides)
    1200. DDMF.

I’d love to see coach do something to get the fellas jacked up at the start of the game. Maybe come out in the 3/4 or full court press to get some energy flowing. Waiting until we’re down double digits to turn up the heat feels like it’s too late.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Meh defense combined with poor offense leads to losses against decent teams.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 69.6 (middling pace against a slow team (VaTech is ranked #262 in adjusted pace))
    oRtg: 0.96 (1.04 adjusted; poor offense, adjusted, it's the equivalent of #111 in the country)
    eFG%: 46.7% (not good)
    3pt%: 27.6% (lousy)
    2pt%: 51.3% (barely adequate)
    %threes: 48.3% (waaaaaaay too high; should never be this high, but especially if you make just over a quarter of your threes, you have no right taking almost half your shots from distance)
    FT rate: 25.0% (not horrible but not good; the fact that this is our 3rd best FTR of the season is kinda embarrassing)
    OR%: 24.3% (anemic; worst offensive rebounding performance of the season)
    TO%: 17.2% (adequate, not great)
    a/to: 0.92:1
    %assisted: 45.8%
    fast break pts: 7 (10.4% of points; poor)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.06 (0.96 adjusted; 5th straight unadjusted defense over 1.04; adjusted, the equivalent of #74 in the nation; brightest side I can come up with is it was our best defensive performance over the last 5 games)
    eFG%: 55.4% (bad, for the 5th straight game)
    3pt%: 42.9% (pathetic; 4th game out of five in which opponent shot 42.9% or better from three, and if everyone shoots lights out against you, it has something to do with your D)
    2pt%: 52.4% (blech; 5th straight game in which our opponents shot 50% or better from two)
    %threes: 25.0% (good; at least we ran them off the line)
    FT rate: 33.9% (another game with too much fouling)
    DR%: 80.0% (excellent; 3rd game this season with 80% DR% or better)
    TO%: 14.3% (bad; 2nd worst defensive TO performance of the season)
    a/to: 1.6:1 (our first opponent to top 1:1 in this stat)
    %assisted: 57.1%
    stl%: 8.6% (weak; 2nd worst steals performance of the season)
    blk%: 8.9% (11.9% of 2pt shots) (not bad, for this team)
    fast break pts: 15 (20.2% of points; poor)

We basically did nothing especially well on offense and on defense our only strong stat was defensive rebounding.

We had a two-and-a-half minute stretch at the beginning of the 2nd half (counting the last shot of the first half) in which we outscored them 12-2, followed by a four minute stretch in which we outscored them by a little (12-8), and other than that it was a real stinker.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i mean, it's not much of a deal given the 3 wins are against the 3 current winless teams. I said in another thread, I'm happy we have 3 wins, but i'm not happy with how we played, and we largely played to the level we have in those three wins, and lost to a better team.

we're solidly on the bubble right now.
    The goal is to make the tourney. Right now Duke is not in it. No good wins at all. The kids fought tonight but just not enough 3 point shooting and very poor D to start the game. Hurt continues to be excellent- although started poorly and Roach had a great game. He and DJ are close to being a truly dynamic backcourt. It was nice to see Johnson back- we will see if he is 100%. I thought Moore and Goldwire did not play good offensive games. One stretch of bad threes and a foul basically erased the comeback. In road games, you need your upperclassmen to step up. They did not tonight. Overall, Va Tech was a better team. Duke needs to play better D at the start of games. These big holes are hard to get out of.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    we only had 12 TOs. That's not an awful number for a decently fast game. they were concentrated very much at the beginning of the game, too.

Not that they shouldn't happen, but it wasn't the biggest reason for our loss tonight, relative to the shooting disparity (obviously defensive effective on both sides)
    In my mind, I was grouping in the many wasted possessions we seem to have with our season-long affinity for turnovers. There were a lot of just bad offensive decisions made tonight...especially at key moments in time.

It was good to see Jalen out there though.

And I do think that Henry could have had an impact tonight. Hope he feels better.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    And I do think that Henry could have had an impact tonight.
    What makes you think Henry would have played? The 20 point win over Bellarmine was the only game in which he's played more than 2 min.

Wait, our opponents have shot over 50 percent from the field in our last five games, and over 43 percent from beyond the arc in four of the last five?

Yikes. That's abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The goal is to make the tourney. Right now Duke is not in it. No good wins at all. The kids fought tonight but just not enough 3 point shooting and very poor D to start the game. Hurt continues to be excellent- although started poorly and Roach had a great game. He and DJ are close to being a truly dynamic backcourt. It was nice to see Johnson back- we will see if he is 100%. I thought Moore and Goldwire did not play good offensive games. One stretch of bad threes and a foul basically erased the comeback. In road games, you need your upperclassmen to step up. They did not tonight. Overall, Va Tech was a better team. Duke needs to play better D at the start of games. These big holes are hard to get out of.
    I'm not even sure we're especially close. We need to close the season strong in these last 14 games (assuming no cancellations) or win the ACC Tournament. A 10-4 record the rest of the way might do it, as long as some of those wins come against the 4 ranked teams remaining on our schedule.

We’ve got such a small margin for error with this team. Came within one point and stifled that momentum with two really bad 3pt attempts by Wendell (really awful) and JGold.

Young teams struggle to play 40 minutes of solid ball. Last year we continually started poorly and this year is no different. Two more road games next that might put the tourney out of reach if we don’t play stronger on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    We’ve got such a small margin for error with this team. Came within one point and stifled that momentum with two really bad 3pt attempts by Wendell (really awful) and JGold.

Young teams struggle to play 40 minutes of solid ball. Last year we continually started poorly and this year is no different. Two more road games next that might put the tourney out of reach if we don’t play stronger on both ends.
    We were behind 33-16 at 7:24 of the first half. We don't need to spot anyone 17 points. Yeah, I know -- BC. But still... BTW BC throttled Miami tonight -- so we do have a win over a team that's won an ACC game.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Great defense in the 2nd half. But true to form over the past several seasons, K refuses to call plays on offense or run offensive sets. It all just becomes disorganized hero ball.

5 thoughts (some extended):

1. I know there’s a lot of angst out there. I have some, too. But in the end, I think Tech’s hot start was something Duke couldn’t get over. Duke’s early D wasn’t stellar, but Tech was on more fire early in the 1st half than Duke's D was bad. Duke clawed back in it, but couldn’t get over the hump. But aside from a few points I’ll bring up (and I’m sure others did/will, and probably find a few more), Duke didn’t play all that poorly. They were 18 down and came back to within 1, on the road. Duke has had trouble in Blacksburg over the years. 2021 is now is no different.

2. The bad:
    a. Roach is a very good PG, but you don’t often see him drive and dish. When he drives, it seems like he’s always going to the hole. He can make it, even in traffic. But it’s too predictable.
    b. JGold has a role – it’s playing stellar D and be a steady (not spectacular) ball handler. His offense has to be opportunistic. There’s never a time out there where he’s more than the 4th option. His shots down the stretch were ill-advised.
    c. Looks like Moore’s great game vs. BC was an aberration (this season). He needs to really focus on D and rebounding from his spot, and let offense come to him. Or he has to bank in his first shot, one or the other.
    d. When was the last time Duke had 2 technicals called against them? Atypical of Duke teams.

3. The good:
    a. They are no different from other K-coached teams – they fight. Down 18, they fought and clawed back. The effort was there.
    b. Johnson played again. If Duke is going to make any noise in the post-season (hopefully), they need someone consistently productive in his slot. Brakefieid did not make the most of his first start as well as in recent games. Now with Johnson coming back, I’m pretty sure his role diminishes. Hopefully Brakefield keeps his head in the game even with reduced minutes.
    c. Hurt played well yet again. Very solid double-double.
    d. Not happy that Buckmire had to play, but happy for him personally. K does this occasionally as we know - put in a walk-on to fire up his team. But even though I’m sure he’s not happy about doing it in a losing cause, I'm happy for Buckmire.

4. The announcers do have a problem being remote, sure. But they totally missed Johnson coming in the first time, and they missed Buckmire (a walk-on!) coming in. I never had an opinion about Dan O’Brien, but he really blew that one. And never have liked Cory Alexander anyway. He talks about himself more than Dickie V.

5. Next game. Winning 2 out of 3 on this road trip would be a good run. Winning 1 out of 3 is mandatory.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.