Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

not stall ball, but slower than we would like

Thanks to Carlos for the additional information. My interpretation (based on watching live, no benefit of replays) was that several things happened in the second half:

1. NMSU executed better on offense. We are not as good (yet) at running after made baskets.

2. NMSU got back better on defense. I actually don't think it was so much that they played zone per se, but that they prevented us from getting good transition opportunities and better defended penetration.

3. Apart from 1 and 2, Duke became less aggressive in pushing the ball, and also made some ill-advised passes.

4. All of this took place well before Duke entered into its delay offense near the end of the game.

So what should we take away from the first 3 games? We are doing much better this year in playing an up-tempo game, but we are still not able/willing to score in transition unless our defense is playing well and forcing bad shots or turnovers. We still need to get better in the half-court offense, too- hopefully, we will get some more experience next week vs. Princeton.

Quote Originally Posted by Travi_K View Post
    I think a lot of the reason for concern is that we have a bad tase in our mouth from last year. I know for myself that about every game I had what became a false hope that this would be the offensive break through game, only to be disapointed after most games we played. We have a fear in the back of our minds that the offense will not improve playing against a zone or against other teams that are effective in forcing a slow tempo. As we have seen before, just because it is the "second game" doesn't always translate into improvement 8 games down the road. However, the good news is that most Duke teams improve throughout the year. We have many more offensive options and a lot of depth. I look forward to this season and watching this team progress.
    A couple of thoughts. First, maybe the team will get better playing against a zone . . . and maybe it won't. But I am confident that Coach K and the staff know what they're doing and are able to develop and teach a "zone offensive" that works. They've done it too many times in the past to suddenly get stupid now. But can the guys on the team actually execute against a zone? That's the question. My guess is yes but it will take time.

Second, we always start the season with high hopes. And then we stomp a few people in exhibition games and beat a team by a zillion points and suddenly we are a great team and our expectations are sky-high? And then we only win by 25 in our second game and, in the second half, don't look pretty doing it . . . and even show some unsightly warts. And the criticism starts . . . and we are disappointed. That's neither reasonable or fair to our team.

It occurs to me that the NMSU game is a much better gauge of who and what were are as a team right now than the abberant exhibition games and NCCU game. We (by our standards) weren't that good last year. Although I expect us to be better this year, it will take time to work out the running game while incorporating three new guys into the team. Thats what coaching (teaching) is about. And I suspect that Coach K will, before its over, get the maximum effort and potential from his team. As a fan, that's all I could ever ask. So I'm going to fasten my seat belt and enjoy the ride. But be warned, it may be a bumpy ride.

I've been a Duke fan for about 40 years now. I have seen some really stinky Duke teams in those years. But they were my teams. And they did the best they could and they did it with class. And this team will do the same. Disappoint? Are you kidding?

So if I get aroused about people getting all weirded out after the second game of the season, indulge an old fart . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Jumbo and I don't always see eye to eye, but facts are facts.
    We don't? Did you used to post under a different name?