Who will be last to fall? Tracking the undefeateds, 2020-2021

This thread is a bit odd this year....as several teams will be undefeated simply from...not playing any games. So we'll not consider teams that have not played. Congratulations to the Ivy league. You beat the system. Anyway:

Baylor (11-0) coming into a ridiculous 4 game stretch, against 3 KP top 15 teams, and #33 OK state
    Gonzaga (12-0) unless something shocking happens, they'll run the table. They already have a >50% chance per KP, and their three most difficult games are 87%, 89% and 87% wins. The rest are >95.
    Michigan (10-0) Stiff test coming tuesday vs wisconsin
    Drake (13-0) They don't have any great games left, but also aren't that great. Odds are they'll drop something.
    Winthrop (10-0) They have a very good chance to go undefeated (20%) with no team in the top 200 left on their schedule
    Siena (3-0). I thought maybe they had cancelled their season with only 3 games, but they played yesterday, so clearly that is not the case. It seams the the MAAC is playing double headers in most cases on friday and saturday against the same team in the same location, so likely they'll drop one of those against one of the better teams, I'd imagine
    The Citadel (8-0) They play #79 furman on wednesday, and again later in the season (along with several other decent team) and have almost no chance to last the season. They're predicted to lose all of their remaining games.
    Alabama A&M (2-0) They haven't played since 12/19...but in theory have a game on saturday. If they are actually playing, they have little chance of winning out (Their best player is also, coincidentally enough, Jalen Johnson...making at least 3 Jalen Johnsons in D-1 (including Duke and Wake's)
    1200. DDMF.

Go Furman!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    This thread is a bit odd this year...as several teams will be undefeated simply from...not playing any games. So we'll not consider teams that have not played. Congratulations to the Ivy league. You beat the system. Anyway:

Baylor (11-0) coming into a ridiculous 4 game stretch, against 3 KP top 15 teams, and #33 OK state
    Gonzaga (12-0) unless something shocking happens, they'll run the table. They already have a >50% chance per KP, and their three most difficult games are 87%, 89% and 87% wins. The rest are >95.
    Michigan (10-0) Stiff test coming tuesday vs wisconsin
    Drake (13-0) They don't have any great games left, but also aren't that great. Odds are they'll drop something.
    Winthrop (10-0) They have a very good chance to go undefeated (20%) with no team in the top 200 left on their schedule
    Siena (3-0). I thought maybe they had cancelled their season with only 3 games, but they played yesterday, so clearly that is not the case. It seams the the MAAC is playing double headers in most cases on friday and saturday against the same team in the same location, so likely they'll drop one of those against one of the better teams, I'd imagine
    The Citadel (8-0) They play #79 furman on wednesday, and again later in the season (along with several other decent team) and have almost no chance to last the season. They're predicted to lose all of their remaining games.
    Alabama A&M (2-0) They haven't played since 12/19...but in theory have a game on saturday. If they are actually playing, they have little chance of winning out (Their best player is also, coincidentally enough, Jalen Johnson...making at least 3 Jalen Johnsons in D-1 (including Duke and Wake's)
    welp, the citadel blew it against furman. so we're down to 7.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    welp, the citadel blew it against furman. so we're down to 7.
    Go Furman !!!!!!!! Lost to Bama by 3 at end and Cincinnati by 5.. undefeated in SoCon

Furman also took out undefeated Chattanooga a week or two ago

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Go Furman !!!!!!!! Lost to Bama by 3 at end and Cincinnati by 5.. undefeated in SoCon

Furman also took out undefeated Chattanooga a week or two ago
    giant killers.
    1200. DDMF.

Michigan lost at Minnesota 75-57 on Saturday, so now there are six teams with records of 3-0 or better:

Gonzaga (14-0, KenPom #1) next plays Pacific on Saturday 1/23.
    Baylor (12-0, KP #2) faces Kansas on Monday 1/18.
    Drake (13-0, KP #57) is in a COVID pause but should play a pair at Missouri State on 1/26 and 1/27.
    Winthrop (13-0, KP #107) plays two at Presbyterian Tuesday and Wednesday 1/19 and 1/20.
    Siena (6-0, KP #137) gets two visits from St. Peter's Friday and Saturday 1/22 and 1/23.
    Alabama A&M (3-0, KP #336) goes Southern on Saturday 1/23.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Michigan lost at Minnesota 75-57 on Saturday, so now there are six teams with records of 3-0 or better:

Drake (13-0, KP #57) is in a COVID pause but should play a pair at Missouri State on 1/26 and 1/27.
    Winthrop (13-0, KP #107) plays two at Presbyterian Tuesday and Wednesday 1/19 and 1/20.
    Siena (6-0, KP #137) gets two visits from St. Peter's Friday and Saturday 1/22 and 1/23.
    Boy. This post reminds me how strange this season is.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

As a Michigan fan I wasn't overly alarmed by the loss. One, Minnesota is legit. Two, Michigan was missing Eli Brooks, a senior starter and key cog to the offensive ball movement (which looked stagnant). Three, this team probably needed a bit of a punch to the gut sooner rather than later to have them overcome some adversity (they were never going to go undefeated in this Big Ten!) and bring them back down to earth after all the hype that was going their way. I still think the Wolverines have Final Four potential and are definitely in the second tier of teams this year (below the clear top tier of Gonzaga/Baylor).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Four teams got their first loss since the last update:

Siena (8-2) played St. Peter's January 22 and 23, and lost on the first night. Then they played Marist January 30-31, and lost on the first night.
    Winthrop (16-1) saw its 21-game winning streak snapped January 29, the second night of its pair against UNC-Asheville.
    Alabama A&M (5-2) lost at Prairie View A&M January 30, and at Texas Southern February 1.
    Drake (18-1) escaped at Valparaiso yesterday but lost at Valparaiso today.

And then there were two.

Gonzaga (18-0) had yesterday's game against Santa Clara postponed, again. They play at BYU Monday.

Baylor (17-0) did the postponing for yesterday's game against TCU and Wednesday's game at Oklahoma. Next is Texas Tech on Saturday.

One tidbit from the Gonzaga article linked above:

Gonzaga coach Mark Few said after [the January 23] win over Pacific that he hadn’t closed the door on attempting to reschedule Baylor or another high-profile opponent if workable dates became available.
    I would be surprised if this happened, but the article looks at Baylor, and goes on to speculate on openings in the schedules of Houston, FSU, and Ohio State.

Who will be last to fall? Tracking the undefeateds, 2020-2021
    We finally have an answer: the last to fall is Gonzaga, if they fall at all.

Baylor (18-1) lost at Kansas 71-58, in only its second game since my last post in this thread 3 weeks ago.

Gonzaga (24-0) completed its incomplete regular season, going 15-0 in the WCC. They also beat Kansas, West Virginia, Iowa, and Virginia on neutral courts.

Next they go to Las Vegas for the 2021 WCC Tournament. They (and 2 seed BYU) benefit from an extremely favorable bracket format where neither plays until the semifinals. So the Zags need only 2 wins for the automatic bid.

Gonzaga (24-0) completed its incomplete regular season, going 15-0 in the WCC. They also beat Kansas, West Virginia, Iowa, and Virginia on neutral courts.

Next they go to Las Vegas for the 2021 WCC Tournament. They (and 2 seed BYU) benefit from an extremely favorable bracket format where neither plays until the semifinals. So the Zags need only 2 wins for the automatic bid.
    Gonzaga gets those 2 wins, and enters the NCAA Tournament with a perfect 26-0 record. Let's see if they fare better than 2014 Wichita State or 2015 Kentucky.

BYU was ahead by 15 during the first half and carried a 12-point lead into halftime. The game was tied with less than five minutes to play.

A very good BYU team (#23 in Ken Pom) hit Gonzaga with its best punch last night.

Down 12 at the half, undefeated and #1Gonzaga came back and won by 10.

THAT is a championship team !

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    A very good BYU team (#23 in Ken Pom) hit Gonzaga with its best punch last night.

I tuned in for the last three minutes when it was tied and BYU immediately collapsed. Clearly my fault.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post

I hope that it is. Mark Few strikes me as one of the really good guys in coaching. I would love to see the ZAGS win it all.

I still really want them to win it all in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I still really want them to win it all in 2017.
    Dayton in 2020 has a better shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I tuned in for the last three minutes when it was tied and BYU immediately collapsed. Clearly my fault.
    I posted on the jinx thread so add me to the list...