Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    What? I thought you were from Boston?

That explains it then. No team is a threat to Brady and the Patriots’ six Super Bowls more than these young Kansas City Chiefs.
    Yep, I am from Boston — born at the Boston Lying-in Hospital, which is now part of Brigham and Women’s.

I attended lots of Celtics, Red Sox, and Bruins games as a kid, but never a Patriots game. I liked the Pats, but didn’t develop a particularly strong rooting interest for them.

Then my family moved to West Texas and it was all over. The Dallas Cowboys — with Roger Staubach at the helm — completely inundated all aspects of life in Texas. Their games were always on tv and radio, gas stations would give away Cowboys mugs and drinking glasses, almost every car had a Cowboys bumper sticker, my bedsheets and blankets had the Cowboys logo — as did even the pencils sold at my school!

And they were really really good— in the playoffs year after year and in pretty much every other Super Bowl during Staubach’s time. Heck, the minister at our Presbyterian church would have service early on Sundays when Dallas was playing on the East Coast — with an 11:00 AM Mountain Zone start time. I mean, come on, what’s a kid to do but become a fan of that team?

Anyway, go Chiefs!

The 4th down play call was one of the gutsiest things I have seen in sports. Wow! I think going for it was an easy call, but the decision to put your backup QB on the move and have him throw a pass while scrambling... I cannot even describe the size of the balls on Andy Reid to make that call.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I thought it was over at halftime. Albeit I didn’t think the Chiefs would lose Mahomes.
    I did. I had a premonition when the Chiefs were rolling and Travis Kelce had just scored a touchdown and Mahomes was playing great (as usual). I looked over at my wife — who was busy doing patient notes on her laptop and sort of half-pretending to be interested in the game — and said “Things are going a little TOO well, you know? I’m afraid of an injury happening to Mahomes.”

And sure enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I did. I had a premonition when the Chiefs were rolling and Travis Kelce had just scored a touchdown and Mahomes was playing great (as usual). I looked over at my wife — who was busy doing patient notes on her laptop and sort of half-pretending to be interested in the game — and said “Things are going a little TOO well, you know? I’m afraid of an injury happening to Mahomes.”

And sure enough...
    He was already on a gimpy foot.

Oh dear. We have a very strict superstition protocol in this household. It mainly consists of me running after the perp and yelling at them to take it back, take it back now!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Well, this game has taken a dark turn....

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Well, this game has taken a dark turn...
    you might say it's a bit...deflating...
    1200. DDMF.

Only one middle-aged man will be bumping Glory Days in the locker room after this one, methinks.

Heinike actually fared better against the Tampa Bay defense than Brees did. I think the Football Team would've been able to handle the Saints today...

I do not feel bad for him (at all) but this must SUCK for Jameis Winston. All the supermarkets in a 10 mile radius better put those crab legs under lock and key after this!

Ross Cockrell one game from the Super Bowl.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The 4th down play call was one of the gutsiest things I have seen in sports. Wow! I think going for it was an easy call, but the decision to put your backup QB on the move and have him throw a pass while scrambling... I cannot even describe the size of the balls on Andy Reid to make that call.
    Andy Reed is my favorite coach in the NFL. As Romo said would any other coach in the NFL have made that call. Hell no! Andy and Mahomes are hard to root against, plus a small market team. Can’t wait to see Mahomes and Rogers battle it out in two weeks. And yes the Allstate ads will be ridiculous.

I have two teams that I really like, and I just watched Tampa beat them both on consecutive weeks. Can't root for them. Don't like the Packers. Guess I'm gonna have to pull for an AFC team in the Super Bowl.
    Go Buffalo! (I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I have two teams that I really like, and I just watched Tampa beat them both on consecutive weeks. Can't root for them. Don't like the Packers. Guess I'm gonna have to pull for an AFC team in the Super Bowl.
    Go Buffalo! (I guess)
    Chiefs have better BBQ. And I can share from my wine cellar.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Andy Reed is my favorite coach in the NFL. As Romo said would any other coach in the NFL have made that call. Hell no! Andy and Mahomes are hard to root against, plus a small market team. Can’t wait to see Mahomes and Rogers battle it out in two weeks. And yes the Allstate ads will be ridiculous.
    I think you mean State Farm. It is unfortunate that it isn't in AZ this year at State Farm Stadium since their two spokesmen are likely to be in the game. I wonder who Jake from State Farm will root for. I find all of those ads to be horrible, though the Chris Paul ones are even worse.

Go Bucs & Brady!!!

Of course I fully expect the Packers to win next week. But I’m pulling for the team at Tampa Bay.

I’d love to see the Bills and Bucs play in a couple of weeks at Raymond James. But more likely than not it will be KC and GB. Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    He was already on a gimpy foot.
    Well, maybe that was what planted the idea in my head. I too had noticed him appearing to favor one of his legs, but I had the volume turned down at the time and was unable to hear whether or not the announcers had noted it. Then later after turning the volume up there was no mention made of him being injured, so I thought perhaps he was fine.

I guess my “premonition” of him getting injured was subconsciously planted in my head after seeing him look a bit gimpy. And then later the concussion happened and he was out for the rest of the game — and maybe the Bills game as well.

If Mahomes is unable to play against the Bills the Chiefs have very little chance of winning. If he plays I think KC wins a very close game.

As for the NFC my heart says Tampa Bay, but my head says the Packers. I hope I’m wrong.

I get a huge kick out of Rodgers' body language...definitely not your typical rah-rah guy...but he's great with stares and eye rolls.

Well, this is sport hate I’m talking about. I just feel like Mahomes is plastered everywhere, and that Hill & Co are way too cocky for being such a young team. I felt the same way about the Colts and Peyton Manning. Always rooted for the Patriots and Brady to beat them. I guess it’s the rebel in me, but I don’t like it when I feel advertising and leagues and fandom are pushing me to root for a particular player or team by throwing them in my face all the time. And that’s what it feels like with Kansas City right now.
    I don't feel quite as strongly as you do, but I am definitely feeling some Patrick Mahomes fatigue, they are pushing him hard as the face of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't feel quite as strongly as you do, but I am definitely feeling some Patrick Mahomes fatigue, they are pushing him hard as the face of the NFL.
    Yes they are. Too hard and too fast.