Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    No, you were clear. I was just expressing the other side of the coin on why the Bucs need to win - their window to win a 2nd Super Bowl will close much faster than the Chiefs dynasty window (which will likely be open for another 10+ years).
    Well yes, the Buccaneers need to win this game, too. Although I think their offense will be significantly better next season after Tommy and the boys get a full offseason of workouts together, and they will be in year two of familiarity with one another, it’s still an important game for them. You’re clearly right about that.

However, I was mostly talking about the game from the perspective of the Chiefs having an opportunity to have a dynasty. Winning their second straight Super Bowl would go a long way towards accomplishing that. Losing it could nudge them towards Seattle Seahawks territory — a dynasty that could have been, but was not.

That Goff-Stafford trade is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That Goff-Stafford trade is something else.
    That is way too much for Stafford. If that's the going rate for Stafford no way someone can offer enough to the Texans for Watson.

As a Seahawks fan, I love the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That is way too much for Stafford. If that's the going rate for Stafford no way someone can offer enough to the Texans for Watson.
    i
    I agree it was too much to give for Stafford but I think Stafford is a good fit for the Rams in the short term. I know the Rams will not have a high enough draft pick to select his eventual replacement but they can go the trade route. Stafford now has two good receivers in Kupp and Robert Woods, however they traded away their deep threat, Brandin Cooks. They will need to try and get one in the off season. As for Watson, if you go by this trade, it's going to be hard for any team to match what the Rams gave up to get Stafford and Watson is on a different level as a QB. I would love to have him on the WFT but they don't have enough draft choices or good players to get him.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    i
    I agree it was too much to give for Stafford but I think Stafford is a good fit for the Rams in the short term. I know the Rams will not have a high enough draft pick to select his eventual replacement but they can go the trade route. Stafford now has two good receivers in Kupp and Robert Woods, however they traded away their deep threat, Brandin Cooks. They will need to try and get one in the off season. As for Watson, if you go by this trade, it's going to be hard for any team to match what the Rams gave up to get Stafford and Watson is on a different level as a QB. I would love to have him on the WFT but they don't have enough draft choices or good players to get him.

GoDuke!
    Just read an opinion that the Rams fleeced the Lions. I guess you have to factor in Goff’s big contract but the Rams don’t have a first round draft pick for the next 3-4 years I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Just read an opinion that the Rams fleeced the Lions. I guess you have to factor in Goff’s big contract but the Rams don’t have a first round draft pick for the next 3-4 years I believe.
    And Goff had a win in the playoffs this year (against the horrid performance of my Seahawks) with basically one hand. He isn't chopped liver.

I don't get this trade at all.

The terms of the Goff-Stafford trade, per ESPN:
    The Lions will receive a third-round pick in 2021, a first-round pick in 2022 and a first-round pick in 2023 in what is the first exchange of former No. 1 overall picks in the common draft era (since 1967). The deal cannot be made official until the start of the new league year on March 17.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    And Goff had a win in the playoffs this year (against the horrid performance of my Seahawks) with basically one hand. He isn't chopped liver.

I don't get this trade at all.
    He might not be chopped liver, but Stafford is clearly much more talented. I do think they gave up too much, but they should be considerably improved, at least initially.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Goff's insane contract was an albatross that no other team wanted to absorb without additional incentives to do so; which is why the extra #1 pick.

Goff's contract will eat up valuable salary cap space for the next few years and only having young drafted additional players under rookie salaries was going to allow another team to absorb Goff's out of wack contract.

Amazingly Stafford's contract is pretty reasonable for a talent as big as he is.

With Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey and other big contracts on defense, the Rams are in a win now mode.

This was worth the risk for the Rams, who have a probable 2-3 year window to win a Super Bowl;

If Detroit maximizes the value of these draft picks, they can achieve relevance as a franchise for the first time since Barry Sanders retired and make a run for their division title as Aaron Rodgers steps away from the Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Goff's insane contract was an albatross that no other team wanted to absorb without additional incentives to do so; which is why the extra #1 pick.

Goff's contract will eat up valuable salary cap space for the next few years and only having young drafted additional players under rookie salaries was going to allow another team to absorb Goff's out of wack contract.

Amazingly Stafford's contract is pretty reasonable for a talent as big as he is.

With Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey and other big contracts on defense, the Rams are in a win now mode.

This was worth the risk for the Rams, who have a probable 2-3 year window to win a Super Bowl;

If Detroit maximizes the value of these draft picks, they can achieve relevance as a franchise for the first time since Barry Sanders retired and make a run for their division title as Aaron Rodgers steps away from the Packers.
    And weezie says, YES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    He might not be chopped liver, but Stafford is clearly much more talented. I do think they gave up too much, but they should be considerably improved, at least initially.
    I think this trade makes the Rams a legitimate Super Bowl threat for at least the next three years if Stafford stays healthy. You could not say the same thing had they retained Goff.

It’s pretty simple, really: The Rams mortgaged the future in favor of the present. I think it was a smart move.

I’m willing to make a pie bet about the Super Bowl as long as I get the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I’m very confident they’re going to win this game. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I think this trade makes the Rams a legitimate Super Bowl threat for at least the next three years if Stafford stays healthy. You could not say the same thing had they retained Goff.

It’s pretty simple, really: The Rams mortgaged the future in favor of the present. I think it was a smart move.
    Why not? They went to the Super Bowl with Goff

I’m willing to make a pie bet about the Super Bowl as long as I get the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I’m very confident they’re going to win this game. Any takers?
    No points involved?

Oof. Reid’s son hit a couple of children with his truck. Alcohol likely involved.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/05/us/br...ity/index.html

Tragic and hope the children can recover

From a couple days ago, but I just read it...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Moss would have permanently owned pretty much any relevant WR record if he hadn't spent most of his career quitting on plays because he was on crappy teams.
    Randy Moss was a Deon Sanders, Bo Jackson level pure athlete. He could have been a 2-spot star in football and basketball if they were not played at the same time. In high school he was hoops player of the year in the state of W. Va two years in a row.

Too bad he had a 2-cent head to go with that $100-million athleticism.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Are you not going to respond to the pie bet? 😂

The key to Goff's hapless Super Bowl performance was the game plan put together by evil genius Bill Belichick, who used an entirely different defense than he'd used all year, and Goff (and his coaches) never figured it out.

No points involved?
    Don’t need points; Tampa Bay is going to win outright.