Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC: 2/8-2/14

Virginia stays clear of the pack (with FSU not really losing ground, although not gaining any either). Up and down for almost everyone else.

Monday
    [40]North Carolina (7-4) (-11) hosts [120]Miami (3-10) (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday
    [35]Duke (5-5) (-5) hosts [61]Notre Dame (4-7) (4:00, ACCN)
    [71]NC State (4-6) (-1) hosts [54]Syracuse (4-5) (6:30, ACCN)

Wednesday
    [55]Georgia Tech (5-4) (+4) hosts [9]Virginia (9-1) (7:00, ACCNX)
    [113]Boston College (1-7) (-3) hosts [118]Wake Forest (2-8) (7:00, ACCN)

Thursday is dark

Friday

[47]Clemson (6-5) (-3) hosts [55]Georgia Tech (5-4) (8:00, ACCN)

Saturday
    [36]Virginia Tech (8-3) (-2) hosts [31]Louisville (6-3) (12:00, ACCN)
    [17]Florida State (6-2) (-14) hosts [118]Wake Forest (2-8) (12:00, ACCNX)
    [54]Syracuse (4-5) (-9) hosts [113]Boston College (1-7) (2:00, ACCN)
    [71]NC State (4-6) (+2) hosts [35]Duke (5-5) (4:00, ESPN)
    [9]Virginia (9-1) (-7) hosts [40]North Carolina (7-4) (6:00, ESPN)

Sunday
    [55]Georgia Tech (5-4) (-5) hosts [76]Pittsburgh (5-5) (4:00, ACCN)
    [61]Notre Dame (4-7) (-8) hosts [120]Miami (3-10) (6:00, ACCN)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 61-22
    ACC vs. Power 6: 18-14

Conference-Only Efficiency Margin:
    Virginia: +16.7
    Florida State: +15.4
    Louisville: +5.7
    Duke: +4.5
    Virginia Tech: +4.2
    Syracuse: +2.5
    Georgia Tech: +2.3
    Notre Dame: +1.7
    North Carolina: +1.6
    Pittsburgh: +0.2
    NC State: -4.9
    Clemson: -7.5
    Wake Forest: -10.7
    Miami: -11.9
    Boston College: -12.5
    Last edited by pfrduke; 02-08-2021 at 11:27 AM.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Not to pick the nits but unfortunately Miami is at UNC. UNC won at Miami by a last second bucket

Early tip tomorrow for Notre Dame at Duke. 4 pm ET.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    It’s being played outdoors to save on the electric bill. Also, Coach K is hoping that the 4 MPH wind will blow the opponent’s 3 point shots off course. Nothing else seems to work. 😡

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    It’s being played outdoors to save on the electric bill. Also, Coach K is hoping that the 4 MPH wind will blow the opponent’s 3 point shots off course. Nothing else seems to work. 😡
    Now THAT’S a good one lol

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Not to pick the nits but unfortunately Miami is at UNC. UNC won at Miami by a last second bucket

Fixed, thanks for catching.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Was this always set for 4pm? Or are we getting the unfavorable time slot this year?

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Was this always set for 4pm? Or are we getting the unfavorable time slot this year?
    Not sure. Looks like the tip off is actually scheduled for 4:30 pm now, too.

Miami v. Cheats Cancelled

Video emerges of two Cheats partying without masks following their win over us.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...video-surfaces

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post

Between this and the students apparently flooding Franklin Street after the win, at least we know that we’re still the good guys.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Here's a "fair use" excerpt from the article on ESPN:
    The decision [to postpone] came hours after The Daily Tar Heel, North Carolina's student newspaper, posted a Snapchat video that shows UNC standouts Day'Ron Sharpe and Armando Bacot partying without masks along with other young people who also aren't wearing masks after Saturday's 91-87 win over Duke.

A source told ESPN that the video and the league's decision to postpone the game, scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. ET, are connected. Andy Fledderjohann, a league spokesman, referred to the ACC's statement when asked whether the video influenced the decision. He also said the ACC doesn't "have any further information to provide."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I am probably still grumpy from Saturday and not objective because it’s UNC but I think the right outcome in this narrow situation should be forfeit. Miami is ready to play and UNC can’t field a team because of potential exposure to these players. I am guessing this opens up a slippery slope to try assess the cause of other CoViD challenges but it doesn’t seem fair to the kids at other programs doing it right.

OK, I'm actually not a Bilas hater, but this video had me thinking two things, fairly or unfairly: 1) Bilas's second sentence in his assessment of the situation involved himself. "It's [the postponement's] happened to me multiple times this year, but this is the first time that it's happened this close to tipoff of a game I've been on site for." Sorry, Jay, but nobody but you thinks your secondary involvement is the slightest bit significant. 2) He ended up saying, "I get it [meaning the party]," and later, "I understand it. It may not be the right thing, but I do understand it." I could not help but wonder if he would have been that understanding if had been Duke players had doing the partying. My inclination is that he would have come down harder in that case, but not because of anti-Duke bias, but because he would have been disappointed if Duke players had done something egregious like that.

But I freely admit that my entire second point could be strictly imagined, and maybe he really would have been just as forgiving of Duke players.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I am probably still grumpy from Saturday and not objective because it’s UNC but I think the right outcome in this narrow situation should be forfeit. Miami is ready to play and UNC can’t field a team because of potential exposure to these players. I am guessing this opens up a slippery slope to try assess the cause of other CoViD challenges but it doesn’t seem fair to the kids at other programs doing it right.
    I think it is important to note that all the players and staff at UNC tested negative today. The odds of the players being infectious to others at game time are very, very slim. I actually think their game against Virginia on Saturday presents a much more significant risk.

Do we know if the players in question were still permitted to practice, or have they been properly isolated and excluded from the active roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I think it is important to note that all the players and staff at UNC tested negative today. The odds of the players being infectious to others at game time are very, very slim. I actually think their game against Virginia on Saturday presents a much more significant risk.

Do we know if the players in question were still permitted to practice, or have they been properly isolated and excluded from the active roster?
    But didn’t they violate rules? Doesn’t that mean something at Carolina- oh wait... never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    But didn’t they violate rules? Doesn’t that mean something at Carolina- oh wait... never mind.
    Maybe the conference commissioner will step in and take necessary actions to protect the other schools and discipline the offending school - oh wait... never mind.

UNC’s own student code of conduct requires social distancing and mask wearing.

https://carolinatogether.unc.edu/com...fIoaOfyGI-X8BM

Of course, their code of conduct also presumably requires going to class, and the players have been exempt from that for 20+ years.

I want to be clear that I am loathe to call out the DBR -- the site and its owners have been very good to me over the years -- but I don't think it would be proper for me to be silent when I see something that so offends my senses.

In his front page article, Julian King writes the following:

And while we understand and endorse the important ideas behind mask-wearing and social distancing, and obviously we’re not UNC fans and don't enjoy watching their fans rush out to celebrate beating Duke, in one narrow sense we’re okay with it.

And here it is:

For a brief moment, what we’ve all talked about, getting back to normal, happened in Chapel Hill.

We’re not saying it was a good idea and if anyone had asked us, we would have advised against it and not just because it was celebrating a win over Duke.

We’re just saying that after months of quarantine, watching college kids behave in a completely normal way was kind of nice.
    Sorry, but you can't both be "ok with it" and think it is "kind of nice" while also saying it was "not a good idea" and that you would "advise against it." It was foolish, against the rules, and a direct violation of what health care experts have been telling all of us to do. You don't look at people spreading disease and say, "aren't they cute."

Being socially distant, wearing masks, doing the right thing is not easy. But it does not work if we sometimes say, "oh, you won a big game so go ahead and ignore the rules for a few hours while you blow off some steam." No!! In fact, the proper response from the adults in the room should be to speak up forcefully and say this is wrong wrong wrong!!! There is no question that some of the people partying on Franklin street passed the virus onto others. And while college aged students are very likely to have little long-term medical problems from Covid, who knows who those kids pass it to next.

What's more, if partying after a Duke game is "kind of nice" then why bother to follow the rules at all? Do we all need a new set of guidelines that indicate when it is ok to ignore the guidance of medical professionals and when it isn't? Wins over Duke are ok, but don't party after beating Louisville. If you beat NC State on a last second shot it is fine, but if you football team wins the ACC Coastal you stay indoors. This is absurd...

...and I am extremely disappointed in Julian for saying it is ok. He could not be more wrong.

-Jason "and, to be clear, I don't give a !#@#&@! that is was UNC kids. If Duke kids did this I would be just as angry. The people in Tampa were just as wrong Sunday night" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want to be clear that I am loathe to call out the DBR -- the site and its owners have been very good to me over the years -- but I don't think it would be proper for me to be silent when I see something that so offends my senses.

In his front page article, Julian King writes the following:

Sorry, but you can't both be "ok with it" and think it is "kind of nice" while also saying it was "not a good idea" and that you would "advise against it." It was foolish, against the rules, and a direct violation of what health care experts have been telling all of us to do. You don't look at people spreading disease and say, "aren't they cute."

Being socially distant, wearing masks, doing the right thing is not easy. But it does not work if we sometimes say, "oh, you won a big game so go ahead and ignore the rules for a few hours while you blow off some steam." No!! In fact, the proper response from the adults in the room should be to speak up forcefully and say this is wrong wrong wrong!!! There is no question that some of the people partying on Franklin street passed the virus onto others. And while college aged students are very likely to have little long-term medical problems from Covid, who knows who those kids pass it to next.

What's more, if partying after a Duke game is "kind of nice" then why bother to follow the rules at all? Do we all need a new set of guidelines that indicate when it is ok to ignore the guidance of medical professionals and when it isn't? Wins over Duke are ok, but don't party after beating Louisville. If you beat NC State on a last second shot it is fine, but if you football team wins the ACC Coastal you stay indoors. This is absurd...

...and I am extremely disappointed in Julian for saying it is ok. He could not be more wrong.

-Jason "and, to be clear, I don't give a !#@#&@! that is was UNC kids. If Duke kids did this I would be just as angry. The people in Tampa were just as wrong Sunday night" Evans
    Fully agree. Moreover, I would be even angrier if it was Duke students.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The pandemic has been hard on all of us. But it is so infuriating when the majority of us choose to follow the appropriate guidelines only to have smaller groups decide they shouldn't have to and that the rules don't apply to them, which only serves to prolong the pandemic. I live in Durham fairly close to Chapel Hill, and am engrained in both communities. Last fall UNC was forced to send their students home after being on campus for two weeks due to the number of clusters that arose. For the spring the university pledged stricter enforcement so that classes could be held in person. Students started moving back in two weeks ago and classes haven't even started yet, but they have over 500 positive cases among students and another 100 or so among non-students at the university. It's only a matter of time (maybe days) before everyone gets sent home again, at which point they will bring the virus back to their communities. The town itself is struggling; dozens of local businesses have shut down because they can't sustain themselves without students here. To say nothing of the healthcare workers, many of whom have isolated themselves from their own families for months while these kids go out and party.

I hear the argument that these are college kids and a lot has been asked of them. And that is true. But my ten year-old daughter is capable of wearing a mask all day at school.