Tommy Lasorda (1927-2021)

Legendary antacid pitchman. Also worked in baseball.

Links:

Dodgers tweet
    Dodgers article
    ESPN
    Baseball Hall of Fame (video)
    Rich Eisen show (video)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Legendary antacid pitchman. Also worked in baseball.

Links:

Dodgers tweet
    Dodgers article
    ESPN
    Baseball Hall of Fame (video)
    Rich Eisen show (video)
    as a one time Dodger fan, I'm sorry to hear this. I also recall folks from his hometown (Norristown, PA) recalling him as a grotesque bully when he was in high school.

Norristown trivia: what is their local name for the sandwich which most of us call a sub or perhaps hoagie?

Well, he must have mellowed as he became Grandpa Baseball.

Having a nice game of catch in heaven with Al Kaline, I'm hoping.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

Al was a real gentleman, saw him in Yankee Stadium many times when I was a lad...

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    How in the heck did Lasorda make it into his nineties? That is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    as a one time Dodger fan, I'm sorry to hear this. I also recall folks from his hometown (Norristown, PA) recalling him as a grotesque bully when he was in high school.

Norristown trivia: what is their local name for the sandwich which most of us call a sub or perhaps hoagie?
    Grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

That's close to Philly so it has to be a hoagie unless there is something very localized? Metro-Philly is hoagie country.

Sorry to hear Lasorda passed. He was always quite the character and seemed to really enjoy baseball and life. He is also to credit for Mike Piazza's career.

Not at all a Dodgers fan, but sorry to hear this news. If there were two bigger “characters” to manage against one another in a World Series than Lasorda and Billy Martin, I’d be stunned.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That's close to Philly so it has to be a hoagie unless there is something very localized? Metro-Philly is hoagie country.

Sorry to hear Lasorda passed. He was always quite the character and seemed to really enjoy baseball and life. He is also to credit for Mike Piazza's career.
    https://www.inquirer.com/philly/colu...-20170620.html

I think the headline should show even if it's a pay site. The answer is Zep, for zeppelin...have never heard of that name any place else..ultra localized indeed

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/...nsylvania.html

this article you can read...
    Last edited by budwom; 01-08-2021 at 04:37 PM.

When I was a kid, we used to go see the Dodgers in Atlanta and would stay at the same hotel they did. LaSorda would always hang out in the lobby restaurant, and a bunch of kids would pull up chairs, and he would tell stories as long as they stayed. Quite the ambassador for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    When I was a kid, we used to go see the Dodgers in Atlanta and would stay at the same hotel they did. LaSorda would always hang out in the lobby restaurant, and a bunch of kids would pull up chairs, and he would tell stories as long as they stayed. Quite the ambassador for baseball.
    He often held court at Charlie Gitto's, an Italian restaurant within walking distance of Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

I imagine they let Stan The Man join them for that game of catch. Al Kaline and Stan The Man were both known for their gentlemanly ways. Al was one of my non-Cardinal favorites.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    My dad would take me to the double and tripple series as well in Atlanta.in the early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Grinder?
    Dude. Wrong thread. The "Grindr" thread is on Dark Duke Basketball Report (DDBR).

Lasorda was also the source of some of the funniest and most profane rants I have ever heard in my life. Perhaps the most famous was his multi-minute response to reporter Paul Olden asking him his opinion of Dave Kingman’s performance after Kingman had destroyed the Dodgers that day. It is priceless, but definitely not for children or those with virgin ears. Here it is :

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/20..._asked_las.php