Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2021 MLB Hot Stove

The Metropolitans go big! Steve Cohen isn't sitting around letting any grass grow.

So far what we know of the New York-Cleveland blockbuster:

Mets get: SS Francisco Lindor and RHP Carlos Carrasco (as @Feinsand
    reported)

Cleveland gets: SS Andres Gimenez, RHP Josh Wolf, OF Isaiah Greene
    https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...36878202896384
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

The Mets are still the Mets, despite their new billionaire owner (and the baggage he brings). New GM Jared Porter has been relieved of his command for sending an unsolicited wiener pix to a reporter, d'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Mets are still the Mets, despite their new billionaire owner (and the baggage he brings). New GM Jared Porter has been relieved of his command for sending an unsolicited wiener pix to a reporter, d'oh!
    Not sure I would characterize it like that. Was hired...they found out...immediately fired. Did the right thing.

Alderson a straight-arrow...

Only "transgression" was not asking the pointed question as to past actions during the hiring process.

So, not "still" the Mets. (What other similar events can you point to in the franchise's history? Perhaps my memory has fogged.)

You're soft-pedaling it. He sent sixty-two unresponded-to texts, culminating in the final one showing his junk. (To be fair to the Mets, this was four years ago, and never made public, so it would have been hard, if not impossible, for them to find out about it during the hiring process. And they fired him immediately once the story came out).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Not sure I would characterize it like that. Was hired...they found out...immediately fired. Did the right thing.

Alderson a straight-arrow...

Only "transgression" was not asking the pointed question as to past actions during the hiring process.

So, not "still" the Mets. (What other similar events can you point to in the franchise's history? Perhaps my memory has fogged.)
    I should have been more clear. I'm not criticizing the Mets for this, just saying that if something can go wrong with them, it probably will.

I should have been more clear. I'm not criticizing the Mets for this, just saying that if something can go wrong with them, it probably will.
    Ah, Murphy's Law.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Ah, Murphy's Law.
    Bob Murphy?

(I’m old)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bob Murphy?

(I’m old)
    I had to google Bob Murphy. Seems he was a Met's announce that passed away in 2004.

Bob Murphy?

(I’m old)
    I can still remember just about all the words tothe original, hideous Mets song. "Bring your kiddies, bring your wife." Like chattel I say!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I had to google Bob Murphy. Seems he was a Met's announce that passed away in 2004.
    ahh, Bob Murphy, Lindsey Nelson, and Ralph Kiner - a great announcing team from the "glory days" of the Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    ahh, Bob Murphy, Lindsey Nelson, and Ralph Kiner - a great announcing team from the "glory days" of the Mets
    I remember Nelson and Kiner but not Murphy. My memory is not what she used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Bob Murphy was the voice of my youth (80s and early 90s). I was a Yankees fan but my dad was a huge Mets fan (former NY baseball Giants fan) so we would listen to Mets games whenever we were in the car, which was a lot. Once WFAN came around, I would go to bed every night listening to it - mainly Mets games but also some Rangers and Knicks in the winter. I would usually fall asleep around the time of Bob Murphy's "happy recap" if the Mets had won. Hearing his voice from Florida in February and March meant spring was on the way. Instead of lullabies, my dad sang "Meet the Mets" to me, along with other baseball songs like "Willie, Mickey and the Duke." My kids are Yankees fans like me but I sing Meet the Mets to them and they now know most of the words.

Thank you for humoring me on this trip down memory lane...

I can still remember just about all the words tothe original, hideous Mets song. "Bring your kiddies, bring your wife." Like chattel I say!
    I had the 45 of that. Loved that song.

“...Guaranteed to have the time of your life. Because the Mets are really socking the ball knocking those home runs over the wall. East Side West Side, Everybody's going down
    To Meet the M-E-T-S Mets, Of New York Town”

https://youtu.be/6GsCmnZnllk

Bob Murphy?

(I’m old)
    He of the hideous sport jackets.

The Padres (former?) stadium was named after his brother, Jack.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    He of the hideous sport jackets.

The Padres (former?) stadium was named after his brother, Jack.
    Surprised jv001 remembers Nelson and not Murphy, since Lindsey left the Mets for (I think) the Giants in the late ‘70s, while Murphy has his “happy recaps” on radio until 2003.

Lindsey Nelson had the “colorful” jackets. He was also well known as the announcer for the Cotton Bowl, Notre Dame football, and the Army-Navy game, for which he described the first occurrence of “instant replay.” (And I may have just answered why jv001 knows Nelson and not Murphy, especially since Murphy was radio-only from 1992 on.)

Qualcomm Stadium (the terrible renaming of Jack Murphy Stadium) is coming down soon, to be replaced by a smaller stadium next door, built by SD State. The old stadium was in too much disrepair to be renovated. The Padres moved to Petco Park in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Surprised jv001 remembers Nelson and not Murphy, since Lindsey left the Mets for (I think) the Giants in the late ‘70s, while Murphy has his “happy recaps” on radio until 2003.

Lindsey Nelson had the “colorful” jackets. He was also well known as the announcer for the Cotton Bowl, Notre Dame football, and the Army-Navy game, for which he described the first occurrence of “instant replay.” (And I may have just answered why jv001 knows Nelson and not Murphy, especially since Murphy was radio-only from 1992 on.)

Qualcomm Stadium (the terrible renaming of Jack Murphy Stadium) is coming down soon, to be replaced by a smaller stadium next door, built by SD State. The old stadium was in too much disrepair to be renovated. The Padres moved to Petco Park in 2004.
    You are absolutely right. Senior moment.

I miss Kiner's Korner.

I saw a number of games at Jack Murphy back in the 90s. It was then a really nice environment for a game. Much more laid back than the NYC stadiums. The only problem was that it was quite a ways out of town, which was a problem when you were there for a meeting and didn't have a car.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Springer to theBlue Jays, after many rumors of him signing with the Mets. Did the Mets’ GM disaster seal the deal for the Jays?

Springer to theBlue Jays, after many rumors of him signing with the Mets. Did the Mets’ GM disaster seal the deal for the Jays?
    Probably not. Cohen had made suggestions about the salary cap and not wanting to go above it. According to the local papers, the Mets had softened on Springer a few weeks ago after trading for Lindor.

The Padres sure had good timing for that move to Petco. One of their only two trips to the World Series was in 1998 — perfect time to get a new stadium built. And the only time they went to the post-season twice in a row was 2005-2006, seeming to deliver for the San Diego fans. Of course, they then proceeded to miss the post season in 2007 losing a play-in game to the Rockies (remember Rocktober?) and did not get back to the playoffs until 2020.

It’s been a long wait for the organization to commit to putting a contending team on the field, but wow have they made moves to do that now. First they got the line-up in place, anchored by Tatis Jr. and Machado, and now they’ve bolstered the rotation by adding Snell and Darvish. I sure hope we are back in Petco in force by August.

Also, San Diego Stadium (formerly SDCCU Stadium, formerly the Q, formerly the Murph) will leave the world the way it came in: without a namesake or sponsor. It was a great tailgate environment and a fun place to watch games (the Charger’s OT playoff win over Peyton Manning’s Colts a decade or so ago was the only time I have been somewhere louder and more crazy that Cameron), but it is now a broken down dump with no luxury seating. Life moves on, I suppose. Hopefully one day we’ll have an MLS team to call it home.
    Carolina delenda est