Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 83, BC 82 Post Game Thread

Weird day. I'll take it.

-jk

Welcome to the party, Wendell Moore! An overall lackluster performance by the team, which is understandable given everything they’ve been through. The sequence just before halftime was big - BC hit a three that would have put them up 14, but the shooter had stepped out of bounds. We come down and hit a three of our own to put the lead at a manageable 8 going into the break.

I don’t know what the analytics will show, but this win was mostly about gutting it out after a long break, multiple cancellations, no K, no Johnson or Tape, and a huge early deficit.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Hard to analyze the game when I was flipping back and forth between the Michigan game (the Wolverines look scary good FWIW) and watching the world seemingly fall apart. But I’ll say two things:
    1) There’s no such thing as a bad win this year. Every win counts and is earned more than ever.
    2) If this is what it takes to get Wendell back into form it’ll be worth it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Weird day. I'll take it.

-jk
    Least of your problems, I’m sure!

Jon Scheyer becomes the first former Duke player in school history to win a national title as a player and start his head coaching career at Duke undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Weird day. I'll take it.

-jk
    Guys responded to the tongue lashing over Zoom by Coach K Great game by Moore- if he can keep it up- Duke will be a much better team. Good win and a good response to a very bad first half.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Welcome to the party, Wendell Moore! An overall lackluster performance by the team, which is understandable given everything they’ve been through. The sequence just before halftime was big - BC hit a three that would have put them up 14, but the shooter had stepped out of bounds. We come down and hit a three of our own to put the lead at a manageable 8 going into the break.

I don’t know what the analytics will show, but this win was mostly about gutting it out after a long break, multiple cancellations, no K, no Johnson or Tape, and a huge early deficit.
    Moore was huge, especially that last fadeaway with 2 secs on the shot clock at the end off the review which easily could have gone the other way. He looked great tonight, and it started with that bricked banked 3 that went in and broke the ice for him, his smile after that showed his relief and then he went to work.

You are correct about that end of the first half sequence, we should have been down by 12+.

We were a work in progress before this 3 week break so the fact that we played for the first time in so long and without K, it was hard to expect us to look good. Our defense in the first half was horrible. Luckily they are a turnover machine and we were able to get some buckets in transition so that we didn't have to execute against their janky zone.

Steward's rebound and floater and Hurt's late 3 were also huge.

We were lucky to win. Hopefully we can just keep playing games and not have interruptions. What this team needs more than anything is to get into a rhythm.

Scheyer first career win.

Utterly sloppy first 18 minutes. Still sloppy the remaining 22, but less so and much to be pleased with.

Moore was absolutely crucial that game. Wow. If he plays like that, once we get Jalen back, I like our chances against anyone.

If you had Moore being the game's high scorer, raise your hand. I called for him to come out of his funk at one point, but it was several games ago and I turned out to be wrong.

So much rust. I’ll take the win and gratefully move on.

Wendell for unanimous POG!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Any win this year is a good win. Congrats to Scheyer for the 1-0 start. We really need to get into a rhythm soon.

We remain tied for 1st in the ACC by %. I just hope we don't have too many 3-game weeks later in February.

I have to wonder how much longer BC keeps Christian. He had the perfect opportunity to win tonight and just can't put it all together. BC is the only ACC school never to win in Cameron, and they probably won't get another chance until 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Guys responded to the tongue lashing over Zoom by Coach K Great game by Moore- if he can keep it up- Duke will be a much better team. Good win and a good response to a very bad first half.
    Thank you for not writing "Moore Jr." This false nomenclature is driving me crazy. If you are a "junior," it's your "first name, junior," not your "last name, junior." But I love me some Wendell Jr.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It wasn’t pretty but it is a win after a long layoff. It was great to see both Moore and Hurt have big games. The defense picked it up at the end of the first half and carried it over in the second half. The problem with this team is you do not feel confident that there is a go-to guy on offense when you really need a bucket. You also don’t feel confident there is a guy that will bury a free throw to ice a game at the end. We won after a long layoff and you take it. BC is also better than their record. Go Duke!!

Hard to overlook that first 15 to 18 minutes of really bad Duke basketball, but many positives in the win -- Moore's huge breakout game, better defense as the game went on, and some clutch shots and plays under game pressure.

The long layoff, the news of the day, etc. --- all things considered, a nice win.

Random question as I try to continue distracting myself from the real world... does this win go on Scheyer’s coaching record? Or will it be assigned to K? I seem to remember when Capel stepped in for a game or two that K still got the wins and losses since it wasn’t an “extended” leave.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Random question as I try to continue distracting myself from the real world... does this win go on Scheyer’s coaching record? Or will it be assigned to K? I seem to remember when Capel stepped in for a game or two that K still got the wins and losses since it wasn’t an “extended” leave.
    it's never clear. K didn't get the 1995 record, for instance.
    April 1

Really happy for Wendell. Rooting for him to build on this. We are a different team with him playing confidently and under control. JGold had a good game as well. Hoping this was the game where we shake off the rust and build on this.

BC is a better team than the record shows. Turnovers killed them. We are lucky to win, but I’ll take it. On to WF and hope K is back.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's never clear. K didn't get the 1995 record, for instance.
    They decided at the beginning of that leave that he wouldn’t. I think it was a mental game to keep him away.

-jk

Yes, Wendell! So happy for a good game and some clutch plays. Team looked incredibly rusty.