Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Copa América Final — Argentina v Brazil

Anyone else watching this match? Wife and kids are out of town so I’m focused on sports-viewing for the rest of the night. I’ve got the Wimbledon Women’s Final recorded and ready to go, but the soccer is live so it takes precedence.

Argentina just scored the first goal of the match. I like Messi so I’m glad.

Di Maria with a great chip!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Di Maria with a great chip!
    That was something, wasn’t it? He made it look so casual and easy, but it was a delicate kick that had to be struck just right.

Can’t believe Messi made such a hash of it in 85’ or so right in front of goal. . . .

The chip shot was great but I think the pass was even better...perfect placement and timing.

Great match. The emotion on both sides after the game says it all.

Happy for Messi.

Well, Messi got that monkey off his back.

Frenetic match, a little disappointed it didn’t go into extra time, but, yes, happy for Messi, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The chip shot was great but I think the pass was even better...perfect placement and timing.
    Absolutely. That pass was brilliant.

And my gosh, do these guys know how to celebrate or what?? I was stunned by seeing how emotionally expressive the Argentina players are and how deeply they seem to care — about each other and this victory. Wow.

I can’t claim to be a student of South American soccer but I have watched a lot of matches and I found it hard to deal with all of the fouling. It was an epidemic, and combined with the flopping combined to make it very rare in this match for even 3 minutes to pass without a whistle. I know Neymar is a famous flopper but, man, the fouled the crap out of him. Brazil had some real chances late, but who else still can’t believe Messi didn’t finish that late 1on1 with the goalie. Ida lost the farm, as the old saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I can’t claim to be a student of South American soccer but I have watched a lot of matches and I found it hard to deal with all of the fouling. It was an epidemic, and combined with the flopping combined to make it very rare in this match for even 3 minutes to pass without a whistle. I know Neymar is a famous flopper but, man, the fouled the crap out of him. Brazil had some real chances late, but who else still can’t believe Messi didn’t finish that late 1on1 with the goalie. Ida lost the farm, as the old saying goes.
    Agreed. The fouling and flopping were terrible. The entire second half was a mess and unpleasant to watch. It just seemed so much more raw - almost a different brand of futbol - compared to what I’ve been seeing in the Euro.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Can’t believe Messi made such a hash of it in 85’ or so right in front of goal. . . .
    love that expression

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Agreed. The fouling and flopping were terrible. The entire second half was a mess and unpleasant to watch. It just seemed so much more raw - almost a different brand of futbol - compared to what I’ve been seeing in the Euro.
    You are watching a different Euro than I am I guess. During the first half last night, how much stoppage time was there?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    And my gosh, do these guys know how to celebrate or what?? I was stunned by seeing how emotionally expressive the Argentina players are and how deeply they seem to care — about each other and this victory. Wow.
    Combination of winning major cup in arch-rival’s iconic stadium, plus the longstanding story of iconic Messi’s never having won a trophy with — “for” — his national team. The pressure on Messi and teammates was, and has been for some years now, immense.

Neymar hugging and congratulating Messi was nice to see. So much passion and emotion on the field after the game. It's a shame that the crowd was limited to 10% capacity. Wembley will be packed for today's Euro finals.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Neymar hugging and congratulating Messi was nice to see. So much passion and emotion on the field after the game. It's a shame that the crowd was limited to 10% capacity. Wembley will be packed for today's Euro finals.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...inal-kgn08gxts

Almost...theoretically they will be holding at 75% of capacity, but somehow I bet more will scurry in.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The flopping in South American fútbol is absolutely comical at times. That said, there did seem to be a lot of tit-for-tat fouling going on last night. I felt like the ref struggled to control the game from the outset and never truly managed to adequately do so...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...inal-kgn08gxts

Almost...theoretically they will be holding at 75% of capacity, but somehow I bet more will scurry in.
    https://twitter.com/i/events/1414272902220767235

Soccer fans attempting to break through the Wembley gates,
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    https://twitter.com/i/events/1414272902220767235

Soccer fans attempting to break through the Wembley gates,
    So odd, soccer fans are usually so quiet and respectful of rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    The flopping in South American fútbol is absolutely comical at times. That said, there did seem to be a lot of tit-for-tat fouling going on last night. I felt like the ref struggled to control the game from the outset and never truly managed to adequately do so...
    Yeah, the flopping is brutal to watch. Nearly every time these guys have any sort of collision, even one of modest intensity, these guys act like they’ve been hit by Smith & Wesson rather than just another soccer opponent.