Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Lets share pics of our pets.

I searched and was rather surprised to find that it doesn't look like this kind of thread has happened here previously. We all like cute (or so ugly that it's cute) positivity and we all need some of that these days, so...
    Post any and all pics of your dogs, cats (I guess), birds, fish, geckos, sugar gliders, pot-bellied pigs, tarantulas...anything goes.

Here is my Violet, majestically sporting her Buzz Lightyear collar that she got for Christmas.
    VSR.jpg

Hey, don't be dissing on cats! I love cats.

I may post a picture later on, but at my house we are a little sad right now because one of our cats (don't worry, we only had two) passed away suddenly late Saturday night. We took him in as a stray in the neighborhood back in 2009, so he has been with us for a long time. Since he was a stray, we don't know his exact age, but we think he was around 14. He had been sick off and on over the past six months with a waxing/waning pancreatitis, and he had to have three teeth extracted three days before he passed (don't know if that was related or not).

Weird part was that he was acting fine ever since the extraction, more active and seemingly out of pain for the first time in a while. That night I was watching the Texas A&M/UNC football game or I would've missed all this. He and the kitten were chasing each other around and they ended up in the same room where I was watching the game. They both sat there staring at me. I admonished them that should be nice to each other. He was sitting there looking at me like he was perfectly fine, and then all of a sudden he started moving rapidly sideways completely off balance as if some force was pulling him really hard. He slammed into the cabinet like a mortar. I said, "What the hell are you doing?" aloud, because sometimes he engaged in some pretty odd behavior, but when I jumped up to see what had happened, he was seizing. After about 20 seconds or so, he was completely still. I thought maybe he was just post-ictal, but after I got a closer look, I could see that his left pupil was completely blown and I could tell his personality was no longer inside this empty, furry corpse lying on the carpet in my family room.

Just like that. From vital and active to dead in less than 30 seconds. It was in shock. It was pretty horrifying.

I'm pretty sure he either ruptured an intracranial aneurysm or that he had a massive hemorrhagic stroke event. As frightening as it was, at least he didn't suffer. I would bet that he was unconscious before he even hit the cabinet.

Our other cat is just 9 months old. He seems a little perplexed by the absence of his elderly friend. (insert crying emoji here)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

This is duke at the beach.

IMG_1453.jpg

Bubba.
    ~rthomas

Kali is a house panther with blacker stripes on a black background. I lost my previous feline ruler in March and by June was ready to take the plunge again. I visited the Humane Society looking for a kitten, but came back with a young adult when I learned that adult black cats are the hardest to place. I now have a bouncy 2 year old with sharp pointy things on the ends of her hands. One thing I have learned is that black cats are hard to photograph.

Here are two of many moods.

Playful.

Kali-play-sm.jpg

When I'm late with dinner.

Kali-ominous-sm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Kali is a house panther with blacker stripes on a black background. I lost my previous feline ruler in March and by June was ready to take the plunge again. I visited the Humane Society looking for a kitten, but came back with a young adult when I learned that adult black cats are the hardest to place. I now have a bouncy 2 year old with sharp pointy things on the ends of her hands. One thing I have learned is that black cats are hard to photograph.

Here are two of many moods.

Playful.

Kali-play-sm.jpg

When I'm late with dinner.

Kali-ominous-sm.jpg
    They are the best, though! The one I lost on Saturday was jet black from head to toe, black whiskers, black everything. He was sweet and loved people. Came when called. Acted a lot more like a dog than most cats do.

I have a theory that black cats are nicer because people with stupid superstitions used to kill black cats, and only the ones that were super nice were allowed to live.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Hey, don't be dissing on cats! I love cats...
    I'm just gonna say it...I don't. I'm not mad at those of you who do, but they are just not my jam. I'm not into the claws and the slinking and the aloofness...generally speaking, they just straight up creep me out. Plus I am wildly allergic...makes my eyes itch just to look at one.

...Our other cat is just 9 months old. He seems a little perplexed by the absence of his elderly friend. (insert crying emoji here)
    My sympathies. Violet, pictured in my first post, experienced similar grief and confusion when her brother crossed the bridge about a month ago. It was simultaneously deeply heartbreaking and deeply touching.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Kali is a house panther with blacker stripes on a black background. I lost my previous feline ruler...

This trucks with my general impression of cats. I will say that I'm pretty enthralled with big cats. I've often wondered if I got, like, a leopard, would I be allergic to him/her?

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Border collies are the best.

This is Izzy our 9 month old brindle boxer...
    C290B031-637E-4DD8-A5E1-06F8477A06B2.jpg
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    This is Izzy our 9 month old brindle boxer...
    C290B031-637E-4DD8-A5E1-06F8477A06B2.jpg
    I'm a sucker for those sweet bully faces. My recently departed Walter was half boxer, half bulldog.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I searched and was rather surprised to find that it doesn't look like this kind of thread has happened here previously. We all like cute (or so ugly that it's cute) positivity and we all need some of that these days, so...
    Post any and all pics of your dogs, cats (I guess), birds, fish, geckos, sugar gliders, pot-bellied pigs, tarantulas...anything goes.

Here is my Violet, majestically sporting her Buzz Lightyear collar that she got for Christmas.
    VSR.jpg
    Cute pup! And a very good photo. We had a Chinese Pug named Jiggs (named after the main character in the comic strip ‘Bringing Up Father’) when I was growing up in West Texas. Very unusual dogs, these Pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Cute pup! And a very good photo. We had a Chinese Pug named Jiggs (named after the main character in the comic strip ‘Bringing Up Father’) when I was growing up in West Texas. Very unusual dogs, these Pugs.
    Thanks!
    Violet is a chug...half pug, half chihuahua. She is hilarious and I love her more every morning.

Not to be a downer but had to put my sweet girl down two months ago at the ripe old age of 17 and a half. Callie was a rescue from Chicago who moved with us to NC many moons ago. We know she was mostly border collie but never quite figured out her mix. This is my favorite picture of her.

E1F7FACE-E023-4E60-944A-4CE073097F66.jpg
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Our Izzy

This is our Izzy, who we adopted in July as our pandemic pup. She’s 3 or 4 years old, from a high kill shelter in SC. She’s very fearful and anxious, sadly. S(e’s great with me, but really doesn’t let anyone else get too close and refuses to on walks. I took her to a veterinary behaviorist about 10 weeks ago, who prescribed fluoxetine, meaning that Izzy is part of Prozac Nation. She does seem to be improving, albeit slowly. About a month ago, she started to chase balls in our yard and more recently learned to play tug of war. Seeing her newfound joy in playing is very uplifting.
    83ACCA71-67EB-4AE7-94FC-4D2A8893CE63.jpg

DaughterPK’s puppy — visiting us now:

6BD5B7EC-7829-4B25-8E65-12DFC025CC04.jpg

Okay, this is my wheelhouse at long last. The missus and I are not parents by choice, and we, erm, channel more to our pets than most would.
    PXL_20201217_151331050.jpg
    This is Boo. She was rescued as a "purebred beagle" which she isn't. But she is a snuggly mess.

PXL_20201206_202018559.jpg
    This is Daisy, Boo's slightly older sister. The two of them are thick as thrives.

PXL_20201007_040713534.jpg
    This is my only male counterpart, Mister Mittens. He's just about eighteen months.

IMG_20200321_191847.jpg
    This is Sookie, the eldest and the Matriarch of our household.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.
    Let's go Duke!

You've started something now!

We currently have a dog, 3 cats, 2 Geckos, a Goldfish, a Corn Snake and, the latest addition - two Zebra Finches. (We are an animal loving family!)

I'll start with Winks!

Winks1.jpg

Winks is a rescue from a few years back. He had gotten into a fight with a bigger dog (still doesn't like big dogs much!) and had a scar next to his eye which has just about disappeared now. That's how he got the name Winks. He's a mix of some sort with some Chihuahua and a little Terrier? Winks does nothing but sleep in the bed all night and sleep on the couch all day. Toss in a little eating and a couple walks a day, that's about it. Doesn't want to play, ignores the cats, loves my wife above all else! But, still, the sweetest little guy ever.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

They are the best, though! The one I lost on Saturday was jet black from head to toe, black whiskers, black everything. He was sweet and loved people. Came when called. Acted a lot more like a dog than most cats do.

I have a theory that black cats are nicer because people with stupid superstitions used to kill black cats, and only the ones that were super nice were allowed to live.
    I've had two black cats now in my life and the reason I got this second one was because the first one was so good. Kali, the current one is also a gentle soul and a lovely kit.

9F4D637E-A1A6-468D-A40D-E9EC298A36D1.jpg

Here’s Lucy. She’s a 4 year old Labradoodle.(She’s looking a bit shaggy in this pic)

I swore I would never get a dog. But one day we were visiting my brother-in-law, who had a new puppy. My son was quite an anxious kid, but on this day he was super calm petting their family dog. My wife looked at me and I knew I was sunk.

Now I can’t imagine our family without Lucy! And my son is not anxious any more...
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson