Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    USA Today had a nice recap of all the various Baffert excuses as to why drugs were found in the system of his horses...some pretty preposterous excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Baffert keeps claiming he is the face of horse racing.
    Next time I see him I'll call him horseface and see if he takes a swing at me.

Baffert claims that he used a prescribed cream on Medina Spirit that contained Betamethasone. He apparently did not know it contained the steroid at the time:
    https://kentuckysportsradio.com/main...ned-substance/

Just part of the Baffert's review of the medications used on the horse.

On another board, a poster authoritatively noted that betamethasone is not a PED, but an anti-inflamatory.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Baffert claims that he used a prescribed cream on Medina Spirit that contained Betamethasone. He apparently did not know it contained the steroid at the time:
    https://kentuckysportsradio.com/main...ned-substance/

Just part of the Baffert's review of the medications used on the horse.

On another board, a poster authoritatively noted that betamethasone is not a PED, but an anti-inflamatory.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    At the least he should fire his vet if this was the source of the problem. All one has to do is type in Otomax on Google and you get the contents. If I am a high profile person, who keeps having the same issues, then I want an expert to help me stay out of trouble. If doesn’t matter if it’s a PED, it is illegal in horse racing. While the NFL may or may not let players shoot up with anti inflammatories, horse racing does not. And if a horse that would be sore and unable to run its best is given steroids, then yes it enhances performance. I would argue that anything that lessens pain or soreness enhances performance. Baffert claims he is serious about these issues, yet they keep coming up. How many passes does he think he deserves?

At the least he should fire his vet if this was the source of the problem. All one has to do is type in Otomax on Google and you get the contents. If I am a high profile person, who keeps having the same issues, then I want an expert to help me stay out of trouble. If doesn’t matter if it’s a PED, it is illegal in horse racing. While the NFL may or may not let players shoot up with anti inflammatories, horse racing does not. And if a horse that would be sore and unable to run its best is given steroids, then yes it enhances performance. I would argue that anything that lessens pain or soreness enhances performance. Baffert claims he is serious about these issues, yet they keep coming up. How many passes does he think he deserves?
    Well, I would make a distinction between something that lessons pain (aspirin is a well accepted pain reliever and is allowed in all juristictions, bar none), it depends on the degree; no morphine please. That is different than PEDs of course. For example of the top of my head: Chocolate i.e.: caffiene, stimulants are not allowed (obviously). Things that open up the lungs are not allowed. BiCarb is not allowed, this keeps down the Lactic acid response when exertion takes place and holds off cramping (probably not the technical explanation, but it makes you appear to have more apparent endurance), are typical PEDs.

Lasix is a controversial additive. It is hypothesized that all horses bleed to some degree in their pulmonary system when they exert themselves. If they bleed a lot, that is terrible. If they have Lasix, a few hours before they race, they urinate (a lot), and they are lighter, and it is like they might lose half a jockey's worth of weight. That is a great advantage. But they could dehydrate a bit on a warm day. Yin/Yang.

There are no national standards for medication. I totally agree if that if you are a national stable and you travel around, you have to know the medications that are contraindicated in different juristictions. There are always new medications, but you have to watch out for that, especially with medical issues that occur less frequently. But the buck stops with the trainer!!! If you place your horse with Baffert, you might get a winner's picture, and you might lose the purse. Bitter pill.

I doubt you will see any defections from his barn.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Dating myself, but if the Kentucky Derby is one of the four big sporting events of the country, then why don't we test all entrants before the race -- and the top finishers afterwards?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dating myself, but if the Kentucky Derby is one of the four big sporting events of the country, then why don't we test all entrants before the race -- and the top finishers afterwards?
    The testing regimen might be disruptive before the race. The usual testing approach after the race is for horses to go to the "spit box", where they are coaxed to produce a urine sample. They are trained for this starting as 2YOs, so most do this almost on cue once they are given water, time, and some quiet. Those horses that don't provide the urine have a blood sample taken. On a day like KYD day, the facilities just could not handle so many horses. The horses all HAVE TO BE walked after the race, otherwise they will get sick; it is called "hot walking". This is the process of them cooling down. So space has to be provided for them to cool down and produce the urine sample. The spit box is a busy area with areas for hot walking and stalls for producing samples. These horses are segregated from the horse population. Of course, you could dedicate people to follow each of the 20 horses back to their stalls to get the sample; that would work and it wouldn't inconvenience the horses. But you would need deputized officials that would guard the urine/blood samples. These samples are marked and treated with "chain of custody" like legality. Documents are signed.

I don't know what it would take to do the tests for all of the banned substances, at the levels that are required. Of course, there are machines that do it for humans, they can make them for horses you'd think.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Baffert at the Preakness

Medina Spirit allowed at the Preakness. Concert Tour too.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=2101840

Take that Law and Order fans.

Larry
    DevilHorse

If it was a topical cream Baffert's people applied, I fail to see how the minuscule amount found by the test could have had any effect on the horse's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    If it was a topical cream Baffert's people applied, I fail to see how the minuscule amount found by the test could have had any effect on the horse's performance.
    Baffert's point was that there is a (large) gap between the minimum levels of disqualifying substances (picograms in this case) in the post race tests and what it would take to affect performance.

In an effort to further muddy the waters on how easy it was to get a small positive reading of a banned substance in a horse, Baffert mentioned about one test issue that was created by a groom urinating in the stall (onto some hay) after the groom had been taking cough medicine. The horse ate the hay and tested positive.

Yes, I've seen many a groom or trainer urinate in a horse's stall, although I would think that most would have the decency to urinate on the straw (bedding) and not the hay (food). [more than you wanted to know]. Bathrooms were available within 100 feet <sigh>.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Bits and Pieces

On Saturday, at Gulfstream Park, Collaborate runs in the 4th Race in the Roar Stakes:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=573964
    Collaborate is one of those "horses to watch". He was purchased for $600k; won his second race by 12 lengths. Finished 5th in the Florida Derby behind Known Agenda by 14 lengths. So he reappears in a minor stake for Saffie Joseph.

The run for the Black Eyed Susan is on Friday:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=2101840
    Of course, none of the fillies from the Kentucky Oaks are entered here.
    Some nice fillies though. Beautiful Gift (from Baffert) and Adventuring look good.

Not sure if this should be in the Astronomy Forum or not, but Perseverance is racing in an overnight trot at Pocono Downs on Sunday in the 7th race:
    <pointer on request>

Any of you guys notice France Go De Ina in the Preakness? This is a Japanese owned/trained horse by way of Saudi Arabia. American Breeding, and he is a looker.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1O8zTjX...pg&name=medium
    It doesn't look like the son of Will Take Charge will take some money, but a Hollywood contract may be in the offing.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I’m not knowledgeable enough to know why the steroid is banned, but it is. Those are the rules. Both Baffert and his vet are required to know the rules. Yet, his horses keep failing drug tests. I wasn’t going to go all conspiracy but here we go. The steroids have some performance enhancing ability or they wouldn’t be banned. Baffert seeks every edge. So he injects the steroids at what he hopes is the last possible day before the race while hoping the amount is within limits by race day. Now at this point he can’t afford to be caught giving injections that are above the limit. So, a few days before the Derby he may or maybe not applies the topical steroid, once again hoping he won’t be caught. But if he is he has a ready explanation. But first he denies giving the horse injections. Then two days later he “discovers” Otomax contains the same steroid. But heavens, he had no idea Otomax contains the same steroid. Something I discover thirty seconds after I read the name. And his vet had no idea. Is anyone buying this horse crap? Not I.

So at Oaklawn last year it was the groom wearing a back patch with lidocaine magically transfered to the horse. So if I wear a back patch and have sex with my wife she is supposed to test positive for lidocaine? I’m not buying that excuse either. How many times must he get caught before he receives serious penalties?

By the way, I used to be a fan of his, but not now.

It is Black Eyed Susan Day!
    So why isn't this the Maryland Oaks? Well, this race was inaugarated as the Pimlico Oaks in 1919, and then switched to the present name in 1952 to complement the state flower and the 'run for the Black Eyed Susan' for which the Preakness is known as. The Maryland Oaks is still available though. But I digress..
    Here is an evaluation of the entrants' chances:
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/bl...san_Stakes_123

I've seen several opinions about the fillies chances and there is some leanings toward the #1, Army Wife. I see a few factors that suggest that she has a good shot in here. 1) she was blocked in her last race, so it is better than it looks. 2) Many horses players believe in 'bouncing', which loosley translated means that horses don't all run better and better races. Most horses run well, then take a step back/down, then improve. This would be Army Wife's improvement race. 3) Declaration of War is a bit of an enigma as a sire. I believe he finished 2nd in the Breeder's Cup Turf. He came from Europe to do that (no small feat), where he exclusively ran on the turf. No dirt racing attempts. His sire, War Front, sires both turfers and dirt horses extremely well! I remember War Front, he was very good on either surface, although he is a better sire than a race horse. Sometimes it takes convincing that what the industry thinks is a turf sire, really is a dirt sire.

So consider the triple box of Army Wife, Beautiful Gift, and Adventuring for the Black Eyed Susan, which you can catch on NBCSN at around 5:40 Eastern today.

In the Preakness (actually named for another horse), here are some other opinions on what each horse will do:
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...ess_Stakes_123

You must start here with the question on whether you think the Baffert horses were affected by either the drugs or the commotion from the Kentucky Derby. It might affect Baffert, but probably not the horses.
    The second most important factor is that Medina Spirit, Midnight Bourbon, and Keepmeinmind are the only horses who also ran in the KY Derby. Keepmeinmind was coming on the fastest of all at the end, but was way back. Midnight Bourbon was bumped. Medina Spirit's running style is most conducive for a win here, although the only other early speed in the race appears to be his stablemate Concert Tour. I can't believe that Baffert would hurt his own interests by having a speed duel set up and committing suicide between his own entrants France Go De Ina was Not a speed horse in the UAE Derby, so I don't expect him up front either. Usually KY Derby winners fair very well in the Preakness and could trail off in the Belmont (if at all). So, I will follow the jockeys. Where are Irad and Smitty?

My pick is:
    1) Concert Tour # Fresh Horse - Mike Smith knows stuff
    2) Midnight Bourbon # Irad is great - The Louisiana horses were impressive. Assume he is better than he appeared.
    3) Medina Spirit # This horse was 1 length from being 4th in the KYD by about 5 lengths ahead of the rest of the field, so expect him there.

PPs for these races are up-thread.

Larry
    DevilHorse

It is Black Eyed Susan Day!
    So why isn't this the Maryland Oaks? Well, this race was inaugarated as the Pimlico Oaks in 1919, and then switched to the present name in 1952 to complement the state flower and the 'run for the Black Eyed Susan' for which the Preakness is known as. The Maryland Oaks is still available though. But I digress..
    Here is an evaluation of the entrants' chances:
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/bl...san_Stakes_123

I've seen several opinions about the fillies chances and there is some leanings toward the #1, Army Wife. I see a few factors that suggest that she has a good shot in here. 1) she was blocked in her last race, so it is better than it looks. 2) Many horses players believe in 'bouncing', which loosley translated means that horses don't all run better and better races. Most horses run well, then take a step back/down, then improve. This would be Army Wife's improvement race. 3) Declaration of War is a bit of an enigma as a sire. I believe he finished 2nd in the Breeder's Cup Turf. He came from Europe to do that (no small feat), where he exclusively ran on the turf. No dirt racing attempts. His sire, War Front, sires both turfers and dirt horses extremely well! I remember War Front, he was very good on either surface, although he is a better sire than a race horse. Sometimes it takes convincing that what the industry thinks is a turf sire, really is a dirt sire.

So consider the triple box of Army Wife, Beautiful Gift, and Adventuring for the Black Eyed Susan, which you can catch on NBCSN at around 5:40 Eastern today.

In the Preakness (actually named for another horse), here are some other opinions on what each horse will do:
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...ess_Stakes_123

You must start here with the question on whether you think the Baffert horses were affected by either the drugs or the commotion from the Kentucky Derby. It might affect Baffert, but probably not the horses.
    The second most important factor is that Medina Spirit, Midnight Bourbon, and Keepmeinmind are the only horses who also ran in the KY Derby. Keepmeinmind was coming on the fastest of all at the end, but was way back. Midnight Bourbon was bumped. Medina Spirit's running style is most conducive for a win here, although the only other early speed in the race appears to be his stablemate Concert Tour. I can't believe that Baffert would hurt his own interests by having a speed duel set up and committing suicide between his own entrants France Go De Ina was Not a speed horse in the UAE Derby, so I don't expect him up front either. Usually KY Derby winners fair very well in the Preakness and could trail off in the Belmont (if at all). So, I will follow the jockeys. Where are Irad and Smitty?

My pick is:
    1) Concert Tour # Fresh Horse - Mike Smith knows stuff
    2) Midnight Bourbon # Irad is great - The Louisiana horses were impressive. Assume he is better than he appeared.
    3) Medina Spirit # This horse was 1 length from being 4th in the KYD by about 5 lengths ahead of the rest of the field, so expect him there.

PPs for these races are up-thread.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Larry, when was the last time the horses who finished 2,3, and 4 in the Derby skipped the Preakness? That seems to make for a really weak Preakness field. I think Cox is gunning for Baffert in the Belmont, to spoil a possible triple crown.

Larry, when was the last time the horses who finished 2,3, and 4 in the Derby skipped the Preakness? That seems to make for a really weak Preakness field. I think Cox is gunning for Baffert in the Belmont, to spoil a possible triple crown.
    Well, I know what you're getting at, but let me give you a more screwed up year. (forget 2020 when KYD and Preakness were out of sequence).
    How about the very last legit year, just 2 years ago in 2019 when the top 3 horses did not come back from the KYD to race in the Preakness.

The top 5 finishers in the KYD were (Finish and then the Official Standings after Disqualification of Maximum Security):
    Fin - Official
    1st - DQ - Maximum Security
    2nd - 1st - Country House
    3rd - 2nd - Code of Honor
    4th - 3rd - Tacitus
    5th - 4th - Improbable

None of these horses (except Improbable) entered the Preakness

Winner of the Preakness was: War Of Will (Officially 7th in the KYD) won by 1 1/4 lengths.
    Others from the KYD field in the 13 horse Preakness were: Improbable (6th), Win Win Win (7th), Bodexpress (DNF)

Winner of the Belmont was : Sir Winston (Did not run in other TC events).
    2nd Place Tacitus (3rd in KYD, not in Preakness)
    Other runners from KYD: Spinoff, Master Fencer, Tax, War Of Will (ran in all TC events - 9th in Belmont of 10 horses)
    Bourbon War, Everfast from Preakness only. A few new shooters, but mostly previous TC race horses.

Not a bad year for horses. Maximum Security became a world champion, under suspicious circumstances, Improbable became a top Handicap horse. Country House of course never ran again; the first time the KYD winner didn't race in the Preakness since 1996. Of course, if Mandaloun is declared the winner, that will be 2 of 3 years. Win Win Win became a great come from behind horse on the Turf.

Code of Honor (3rd in KYD) won the Travers Stakes in 2019.

Larry
    DevilHorse

For the record, I likely will not be under the influence of performance-enhancing drugs when I watch the Preakness.

Let’s say, 5:2 against.

There aren't any pretty gray horses in the race, so I'm not watching.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    1CBF153A-2FDD-4458-B763-61E20B65CB6A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    #8 Unbridled Honor is listed as Gr/Ro. No Opinion is given on how pretty he is.
    I love Roans!

If this isn't a beautiful horse, I don't know what is:
    https://www.drf.com/sites/default/fi...-18-21.BL_.jpg

UnbridledHonor2.jpg

As he gets older, he will get grayer and whiter. That is how it goes. I bred a roan filly. When she was born, she was brown, except for her eye lashes. She shed out 3 months later into this beautiful grey color, but she was officially a roan, with little flecks of black and brown in her coat. She ran in one race and was retired with a check ligament, but she was the dam of 3 $300k winners.

Larry
    DevilHorse

#8 Unbridled Honor is listed as Gr/Ro. No Opinion is given on how pretty he is.
    I love Roans!

If this isn't a beautiful horse, I don't know what is:
    https://www.drf.com/sites/default/fi...-18-21.BL_.jpg

UnbridledHonor2.jpg

As he gets older, he will get grayer and whiter. That is how it goes. I bred a roan filly. When she was born, she was brown, except for her eye lashes. She shed out 3 months later into this beautiful grey color, but she was officially a roan, with little flecks of black and brown in her coat. She ran in one race and was retired with a check ligament, but she was the dam of 3 $300k winners.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    At that point, they’ll just say that the old gray mare just ain’t what she used to be.