Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Friday at Saratoga, the only race of interest is the 2YO Maiden fillies:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1006458
    These are statebreds.

DelMar opens on Friday, but I found this to be a weak card. Lots of claimers and I'm not that impressed with the California statebred 2YO program.

Saturday does have some interesting races at both tracks:

Saratoga Race 9 has the Sanford for 2 year olds:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1509687
    Several undefeated 2YO colts, including Wit in here. I expect that we will be hearing from a few of these colts into the fall.

Saratoga Race 10 has the Diana on the turf:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1677430
    Harvey's Lil Goil makes another appearance. She looks to do well in every other race; this looks to be her turn to be on. This is a deep field though.

At Del Mar, the San Diego Handicap is being run too:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1374280
    Express Train and Mo Mosa will be contending for top honors.

And then, there is Monmouth Park, and several races there:

The Molly Pitcher (a big name around NJ.. a Revolutionary war figure, has a hotel and NJ Turnpike Rest Stop named after her):
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1556170
    Looks like Vault against Mrs. Danvers here.

The Haskell field is set and ready to go:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1867404
    I would be looking at Hot Rod Charlie over Mandaloun. Hot Rod Charlie has been really tough in his races. His effort in the Belmont was really impressive. Midnight Bourbon may take the show spot. Following Sea is an interesting horse; he has done no wrong. However, he has much less experience than the other horses, and he he has only been in sprints vs. this classic distance race with these tigers. I expect a good effort from this son of Runhappy, but he is not bred to go long.

In Big Bob Baffert News, he won a round in court. He will be allowed to race at the Saratoga Meet:
    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bob-b...yra-suspension
    The judge cited that the damage to Baffert's horses (not physically) was a major factor, because many of the races are based on their (one time) age conditions.
    I don't know if this will be appealed, sorted out at a later date, or left as is. If a Baffert horse appears entered at Saratoga, I'll let you know.

In The Meadowlands Pace, I like Perfect Sting over Abuckabett Hanover.
    Does anyone want the PPs?

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Wit was immense, winning the Sanford:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on
    He looks to be the real thing. His sire, Practical Joke, was a really strong miler type, and he has classical production on his dam side.

Altiqua won the Diana Handicap:
    Harvey's Lil Goil finished 4th. The winner is roan, and the announcer couldn't pronounce 'goil' correctly; obviously not from Brooklyn.

It was an odd day at Monmouth Park. Rain came and went throughout a humid day. There was moisture in the track.

Graceful Princess won the Molly Pitcher:
    ww.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?date=2021-07-17&track=MTH&country=USA&race=10&type=inc&print=o n
    Vault and Mrs. Danvers faded and did not get a piece.

The Haskell will require some discussion.
    Mandaloun was pronounced the winner of the race, but Hot Rod Charlie crossed the line first:
    It looked like Midnight Bourbon was going to join those 2, and reward all of those who bet the trifecta box, until Hot Rod Charlie veered into Midnight Bourbon's lane and they clicked hooves. Midnight Bourbon almost fell, unseating Paco Lopez (who is OK). Hot Rod Charlie was disqualified after a long inquiry. Following Sea, who was about 18 lengths behind those 3 at the time of the incident, was awarded 2nd place. Antigravity floated into 3rd place.
    Here is a noisy video of the stretch drive:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1416516303683264513

A big area of discussion should be whether the new rule about crop use contributed to the clipped heels incident. For those of you not familiar with why this would be so, Hot Rod Charlie would surely have been under a left handed crop use in the stretch; this would have moved him to his right and avoided the incident (horses move away from the side they are whipped). The questions are being asked; I don't know if they are being heard. The jockeys haven't said anything that I've heard. But this question is being in the media and the papers. Most of the jockeys are soft spoken and deferential to trainers and officials when it comes to this type of thing; they try very hard to avoid controversy because the trainers are their meal ticket and can treat jockeys like a commodity. They keep their head low and defer to the trainers for comment. Good jockeys were at Monmouth for the big money yesterday: Rosario, Prat, Geroux, Cohen, Lopez are top 10 talents and can ride anywhere in the country. The HISA law is supposed to create common rules across the country. I'm not sure if whipping will be included and if states can institute more severe rules.

Will Mandaloun win two Grade I races this year, but not finish first? That horse deserves a better fate than that distinction. Woody Allen said, "80% of success is just showing up."

An interesting side note, the Meadowlands Pace was also yesterday. It is a huge standardbred race. It too had the winner disqualified to last place. Charlie May finished first, but interfered with a horse earlier in the race, so was disqualified to 2nd to last. Lawless Shadow was elevated to first. The track was wet but good.

Express Train won the San Diego Handicap:

Larry
    DevilHorse

Wit was immense, winning the Sanford:
    He looks to be the real thing. His sire, Practical Joke, was a really strong miler type, and he has classical production on his dam side.

Altiqua won the Diana Handicap:
    Harvey's Lil Goil finished 4th. The winner is roan, and the announcer couldn't pronounce 'goil' correctly; obviously not from Brooklyn.

It was an odd day at Monmouth Park. Rain came and went throughout a humid day. There was moisture in the track.

Graceful Princess won the Molly Pitcher:
    ww.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?date=2021-07-17&track=MTH&country=USA&race=10&type=inc&print=o n
    Vault and Mrs. Danvers faded and did not get a piece.

The Haskell will require some discussion.
    Mandaloun was pronounced the winner of the race, but Hot Rod Charlie crossed the line first:
    It looked like Midnight Bourbon was going to join those 2, and reward all of those who bet the trifecta box, until Hot Rod Charlie veered into Midnight Bourbon's lane and they clicked hooves. Midnight Bourbon almost fell, unseating Paco Lopez (who is OK). Hot Rod Charlie was disqualified after a long inquiry. Following Sea, who was about 18 lengths behind those 3 at the time of the incident, was awarded 2nd place. Antigravity floated into 3rd place.
    Here is a noisy video of the stretch drive:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1416516303683264513

A big area of discussion should be whether the new rule about crop use contributed to the clipped heels incident. For those of you not familiar with why this would be so, Hot Rod Charlie would surely have been under a left handed crop use in the stretch; this would have moved him to his right and avoided the incident (horses move away from the side they are whipped). The questions are being asked; I don't know if they are being heard. The jockeys haven't said anything that I've heard. But this question is being in the media and the papers. Most of the jockeys are soft spoken and deferential to trainers and officials when it comes to this type of thing; they try very hard to avoid controversy because the trainers are their meal ticket and can treat jockeys like a commodity. They keep their head low and defer to the trainers for comment. Good jockeys were at Monmouth for the big money yesterday: Rosario, Prat, Geroux, Cohen, Lopez are top 10 talents and can ride anywhere in the country. The HISA law is supposed to create common rules across the country. I'm not sure if whipping will be included and if states can institute more severe rules.

Will Mandaloun win two Grade I races this year, but not finish first? That horse deserves a better fate than that distinction. Woody Allen said, "80% of success is just showing up."

An interesting side note, the Meadowlands Pace was also yesterday. It is a huge standardbred race. It too had the winner disqualified to last place. Charlie May finished first, but interfered with a horse earlier in the race, so was disqualified to 2nd to last. Lawless Shadow was elevated to first. The track was wet but good.

Express Train won the San Diego Handicap:

Larry
    DevilHorse
    As the race was on NBC, I got to see it live. I was so shocked when Midnight Bourbon almost went down in the stretch I had no idea there was interference. I left the room with the television, came back to see them interviewing Geroux. I’m on Pacific time so you already answered one of my questions. But, I have two others. First, do you think the proposed Ky. rule where you get a limited number of whips would have prevented this incident? Second, will Prat be suspended for careless riding? I think in most jurisdictions where whips are allowed, he would be. Thank heavens neither horse nor rider were seriously injured. At least to me the whip rule needs more thought. I assume Midnight Bourbon is worth a good deal of money. What if he had been fatally injured? Or even worse, Paco had suffered life altering injuries.

This year’s three year old crop appears amazing to me. The three best horses yesterday, plus Essential Quality plus the Preakness winner, and maybe Medina Spirit appear evenly matched. This bodes well for later races this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    As the race was on NBC, I got to see it live. I was so shocked when Midnight Bourbon almost went down in the stretch I had no idea there was interference. I left the room with the television, came back to see them interviewing Geroux. I’m on Pacific time so you already answered one of my questions. But, I have two others. First, do you think the proposed Ky. rule where you get a limited number of whips would have prevented this incident? Second, will Prat be suspended for careless riding? I think in most jurisdictions where whips are allowed, he would be. Thank heavens neither horse nor rider were seriously injured. At least to me the whip rule needs more thought. I assume Midnight Bourbon is worth a good deal of money. What if he had been fatally injured? Or even worse, Paco had suffered life altering injuries.

This year’s three year old crop appears amazing to me. The three best horses yesterday, plus Essential Quality plus the Preakness winner, and maybe Medina Spirit appear evenly matched. This bodes well for later races this year.
    I would not think that Prat deserves days. Being in the heat of battle, coming in just a few feet, while the horse is coming up from behind (perhaps unknown to Prat). It isn't like Midnight Bourbon was right next to him when he made a left turn. The movement of the horse was natural, except for the circumstances IMHO. If Prat had passed Midnight Bourbon and then come in, that might be different.

In real time, I could not tell the circumstances either. I needed the replay to divine the problems. Clipping heels happens more often than you might think. No actual report from Midnight Bourbon's crew as to whether there was any damage to the horse's hoof from the incident. Horses will run on with all kinds of damage to their limbs. So even though MB ran on looking quite sound, it is possible that things could have happened.

I'm for the limited number of strikes, although I think there should be a different formula of sorts. If you use up your strikes early, what do you do. Some creative accounting or budgeting is necessary. I think that hesitancy to use the whip was a contributing factor yesterday, even though a safety issue was in play. Jockeys just don't know where to draw the line even though they are attempting to respect the rules.

As for this year's 3YO crop, I have to at least say that they race. I'm glad to see races like yesterday where the trainers and owners put them in against each other. As to how they will do against other older horses, we will see. The Derby campaign is longer than that for the older horses, so the 3YOs are at a disadvantage because of this and that they are younger and have less experience; a weight allowance doesn't compensate enough for this usually.

One good thing this year, that hadn't happened previously, is the Haskell is earlier and the Travers is later. It is possible for Haskell horses to run in the Travers (August 28 I believe). Nothing to prevent it. Summer in the mountains at the Spa sounds good.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I would not think that Prat deserves days. Being in the heat of battle, coming in just a few feet, while the horse is coming up from behind (perhaps unknown to Prat). It isn't like Midnight Bourbon was right next to him when he made a left turn. The movement of the horse was natural, except for the circumstances IMHO. If Prat had passed Midnight Bourbon and then come in, that might be different.

In real time, I could not tell the circumstances either. I needed the replay to divine the problems. Clipping heels happens more often than you might think. No actual report from Midnight Bourbon's crew as to whether there was any damage to the horse's hoof from the incident. Horses will run on with all kinds of damage to their limbs. So even though MB ran on looking quite sound, it is possible that things could have happened.

I'm for the limited number of strikes, although I think there should be a different formula of sorts. If you use up your strikes early, what do you do. Some creative accounting or budgeting is necessary. I think that hesitancy to use the whip was a contributing factor yesterday, even though a safety issue was in play. Jockeys just don't know where to draw the line even though they are attempting to respect the rules.

As for this year's 3YO crop, I have to at least say that they race. I'm glad to see races like yesterday where the trainers and owners put them in against each other. As to how they will do against other older horses, we will see. The Derby campaign is longer than that for the older horses, so the 3YOs are at a disadvantage because of this and that they are younger and have less experience; a weight allowance doesn't compensate enough for this usually.

One good thing this year, that hadn't happened previously, is the Haskell is earlier and the Travers is later. It is possible for Haskell horses to run in the Travers (August 28 I believe). Nothing to prevent it. Summer in the mountains at the Spa sounds good.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Allow me to amend my comments. I rewatched the end of the race and I got it wrong. Midnight Bourbon WAS being passed by Hot Rod Charlie when HRC was passing him. Not when Midnight Bourbon was coming up behind. Big difference. But it was still tight quarters. I would say that it is iffy if Prat will get a suspension, but that would come days after. If Prat wanted to challenge any such ruling, and claim that the whip rule prevented him from making a better choice, I wouldn't blame him. But Monmouth knows that this type of thing would keep many jockeys away from Monmouth Park.

BTW, that was Hot Rod Charlie and Charlie May that got disqualified from the biggest races in New Jersey yesterday. What are the odds of that???
    Enough to give you a Charlie horse.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Flavien Prat did make these specific comments about the NJ crop rule after the Haskell, as reported to the Blood Horse magazine (I am a subscriber):

Afterwards, jockey Flavien Prat, who rode Hot Rod Charlie, told the Blood-Horse: “Yes, the lack of a crop came into play. I was trying to correct him as much as I could. If I could have hit him just one time left-handed, we would have been just fine, but it is what it is.” It highlights what critics have contended is a rule that actually puts jockeys and horses in harm’s way by not allowing riders to use their discretion when situations arise during a race.

Others have praised the rule as a move in the right direction, with other states, including California and Kentucky, having severely limited the number of times a jockey can strike a horse.

Although this article mentioned the Monmouth meet has been accident free until this point, it has not been incident free as I had mentioned before. A jockey had used the whip in the stretch, which had been called into question as to whether it was (really) for safety reasons by the judges.

How is somebody supposed to handicap these races if the lines you are looking at include use of the crop/whip, but the race you are handicapping for does not? Believe me when I say that some horses will fight to win and others will need encouragement to go on. There is nothing in the racing form that tells you what the jockey did to get the horse to the finish line. Without the bettors (and fans), there is no horse racing.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I looked up Mandaloun’s speed figure on Equibase. I am not sure whoses figures they use, but it was 113, his personal best. I can’t remember who the top older horses are this year, other than Maxfield, but it would seem the Breeder’s Cup Classic should be good. Historically I don’t know how often three year olds win, but this might be the year, assuming the top three year olds stay healthy. Then the question is how many of these will be back next year. While there are many reasons for the decline in the popularity of horse racing, retiring the top horses at three is a least a factor. Just imagine if one of the recent triple crown winners had returned to race at 4 and 5 years old. When I read the book Seabiscuit I couldn’t believe how many times he raced. Back then horses became legends and superstars. Now I bet almost no one could name the most recent Triple Crown winner. If people like Bezos and Branson owned race horses and became competitive we might get rivalries lasting more than a few months. Oh well, at least I can dream.

I looked up Mandaloun’s speed figure on Equibase. I am not sure whoses figures they use, but it was 113, his personal best. I can’t remember who the top older horses are this year, other than Maxfield, but it would seem the Breeder’s Cup Classic should be good. Historically I don’t know how often three year olds win, but this might be the year, assuming the top three year olds stay healthy. Then the question is how many of these will be back next year. While there are many reasons for the decline in the popularity of horse racing, retiring the top horses at three is a least a factor. Just imagine if one of the recent triple crown winners had returned to race at 4 and 5 years old. When I read the book Seabiscuit I couldn’t believe how many times he raced. Back then horses became legends and superstars. Now I bet almost no one could name the most recent Triple Crown winner. If people like Bezos and Branson owned race horses and became competitive we might get rivalries lasting more than a few months. Oh well, at least I can dream.
    Interesting post and subjects.

Here is an article that touches on the different flavors of race figures:
    https://www.americasbestracing.net/g...ures-explained

You cited Equibase, which I never quote. They are a little higher than the Beyer figures. The day after the races I almost always quote the Beyer figures because that is what I search for. The Beyer for the Haskell (for Mandaloun) was 102. Beyers were the first and standard. I've seen Timeform numbers and they are always much bigger than any other numbers. I had mentioned Len Regozin and 'The Sheets' earlier. Thoroughgraph was giving out free sheets for the Haskell on Saturday, but I was thinking that this was too much information for everyone. Also, if it isn't obvious, most of the PPs that I provide are from Brisnet (yet another set of speed figures used there); but that's OK. As long as speed figures are used as a comparison between horses in that race, and they were computed using the same formula, you can use them; they are ALWAYS consistent within the Past Performance document. You may prefer one set of figures over another, but that's OK too. They are calculated differently.

Maxfield was beaten in only one race this year, at Santa Anita, by Idol and Express Train. Express Train won the San Diego Handicap this past Saturday. Idol has not run since beating Maxfield, and was a surprise winner at that. The main contenders for older horses, (in decreasing order of impressiveness) IMHO, are, Silver State, Knicks Go, and Mystic Guide. The 3YOs will have a shot, with a 5lb weight allowance. I don't think Maxfield looked like he liked Santa Anita when he lost. Was it the track? Did he have a headache? Arrogate hated Santa Anita!!! But then, the Breeder's Cup is at Del Mar.

Sadly, not only is Arrogate deceased, but I do not see any of his progeny doing anything as 2YO this year. He is not in the top 150 sires of 2YOs. Perhaps, like their old man, they won't do anything until they are 3; then watch out.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Last edited by DevilHorse; 07-19-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Midnight Bourbon at Saratoga:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1417210262101311488

Looks like he's doing OK after his rough TRIP.
    Wonder if the Travers is on the docket.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Yet another article about what is going on with testing and litigation wrt the Kentucky Derby:
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ed/8025133002/

But the strange thing to consider is that they have put the name of Medina Spirit up in the paddock in gold letters. Is this the definition of someone not getting the memo?

In other news, it sounds like Hot Rod Charlie's next destination is likely to be the Pacific Classic against older horses. Midnight Bourbon apparently did have very minor bruises from his incident at the Haskell; of little concern, but will be watched. I'll mention any next workout.

Larry
    DevilHorse

ostrich1.jpg

Well, it isn't the Elephantonian, but it'll do.

Larry
    DevilHorse

The Coaching Club American Oaks (2nd Jewel of the mythical Triple Tiara) was run at Saratoga yesterday.
    The Graveyard of Champions claimed Malathaat:

Clairiere challenged Malathaat early in the race and that took enough out of her to weaken her for the stretch so Maracuja could overtake Malathaat and win the 4 horse contest. Malathaat is usually a stalker, but in a 4 horse race, someone has to take the lead, and if you're undefeated, in a paceless race, that might be you.

As mentioned earlier, there are interesting 2YO maiden races at Del Mar and Saratoga every day. There was one yesterday that generated some buzz:
    The winner wasn't that exceptional, but a couple of things occurred to me.

Great horses don't always win their first race. Secretariat didn't. Arrogate didn't. Curlin didn't. Arrogate had a starter in this race, and he only has 3 crops that will race. Arrogate was a late starter in his 3YO year; he finished 3rd in his first start, but than rattled off 7 straight wins, in a fabled run, and then lost his last 3 and was retired. Will his foals follow that pattern? Who's to say. Will they look like him. Perhaps.

But another horse in another maiden race at Saratoga was by Honor Code (by A.P. Indy). It is easy to tell most foals by Honor Code because he stamps his get. the are big, dark, and have white socks. Honor Code, being by A.P. Indy, carried his head low, this didn't carry through to all A. P. Indy's, but it seems that those who have that trait, turned out to be pretty good.
    There was a standardbred named Artsplace, was a world champion at 2YO, was the second best horse of his generation at 3, and was a world champion again at 4. He was a tremendous sire. He had a unique trait of carrying his head low. Those of his foals that shared this trait were distinctive and good.

Some other sires stamped their foals. I remember seeing foals where I could tell their sire was Fulla Napolean by the shape of their head, and I was right. Strange head. The famous progenator of the standardbreds, Hambletonian, was a really ugly horse. When his foals went to auction, people would spend money and bid bigger money on the good looking ones, and leave the ugly ones to lesser bidders. However it was the ugly ones who could trot fast. It took a while before they figured out that those Ugly Ones were desireable. A lot of Curlins are big chestnuts and a lot Tapits are greys. It doesn't always work that way, but it is fun when you can see it.

It doesn't always. A standardbred named Abercrombie had somewhat humble pedigree and was purchased for $9k. He turned out to be a champion. He didn't have a particular trait of note, other than a fast turn-over in his economic gait. Most of his foals looked like the mares. They didn't really look like him. But most of them could race like him. And many of them bred like him too.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Yet another article about what is going on with testing and litigation wrt the Kentucky Derby:
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ed/8025133002/

But the strange thing to consider is that they have put the name of Medina Spirit up in the paddock in gold letters. Is this the definition of someone not getting the memo?

In other news, it sounds like Hot Rod Charlie's next destination is likely to be the Pacific Classic against older horses. Midnight Bourbon apparently did have very minor bruises from his incident at the Haskell; of little concern, but will be watched. I'll mention any next workout.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Just read the link to the Courier Journal article. Unless I misread, more shenanigans by team Baffert. Does anyone else think this crap is getting old. If he has nothing to hide, why does he keep hiding and obfuscating?

Just read the link to the Courier Journal article. Unless I misread, more shenanigans by team Baffert. Does anyone else think this crap is getting old. If he has nothing to hide, why does he keep hiding and obfuscating?
    I lost track of what they were saying in this article. There were a lot of things inferred, and a few questions I have. I'm not sure what NY is doing testing the samples. I thought this was a reciprocity issue. When one state starts testing the other states samples, chain of custody issues will obviously be a problem. This is also the first I heard that there was a urine sample involved. I thought this was just the testing of blood. Lot's of new stuff to (ahem) digest here. But then the lawyers have taken over, so therein is where the additional obfuscation is introduced. <no insult intended to the lawyers reading this>

Larry
    DevilHorse

Curlin Stakes

Don't you love it when horses are entered into the races named for their sires?

And so it is for Friday's Curlin Stakes at Saratoga:
    Two of the seven entrants are sired by Curlin himself, including the undefeated $1.5M First Captain.
    Another horse mentioned earlier in this thread, Collaborate is also in this field; Collaborate is a $600K son of Into Mischief who has had an up and down career.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Some excitement from the big guns:

Life Is Good was on the work out docket yesterday, for new trainer Todd Pletcher. When last we saw this undefeated son of Into Mischief, he was on his way toward being the favorite in the KYD via the California route under the tutelage of Bob Baffert. Life Is Good had a modest workout going, until another horse came beside him at Saratoga yesterday, then the colt took off; after the finish line, he just kept on going. It was a very impressive effort to those who watched. He will be targeting a race on Travers day or the Smarty Jones (these are shorter distance.. the Travers are too long for a comeback effort).

This weekend, the big race is the Jim Dandy (named after the surprise long shot winner of the Travers long ago).
    Essential Quality will be using this race as the tune-up for the Travers:
    Also entered will be Weyburn and Dr. Jack who did well in the Pegasus against Mandaloran at Monmouth a month ago.
    EQ is not a workout warrior, so don't read into that, but Saratoga is the Graveyard of Champions.

The Alfred Vanderbilt (remember Biltmore house NC??) for sprinters has drawn Mischevious Alex, Firenze Fire, Whitmore, and Special Reserve:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1341944
    A great race!

At Del Mar, the track built with the leadership of Bing Crosby's Thoroughbred Track Club, is the Bing Crosby Handicap:
    C Z Rocket and (the recently missing) Dr. Shivel are entered.

Earlier on the card at Del Mar is a first time starter named Astronomer. Not sure if that should be in the astronomy thread or here???
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...17&param3=2387
    Race 3 at Del Mar by Air Force Blue. The Air Force Blue 2YOs were a revelation last year. Will that continue this year?

Larry
    DevilHorse

Some excitement from the big guns:

Life Is Good was on the work out docket yesterday, for new trainer Todd Pletcher. When last we saw this undefeated son of Into Mischief, he was on his way toward being the favorite in the KYD via the California route under the tutelage of Bob Baffert. Life Is Good had a modest workout going, until another horse came beside him at Saratoga yesterday, then the colt took off; after the finish line, he just kept on going. It was a very impressive effort to those who watched. He will be targeting a race on Travers day or the Smarty Jones (these are shorter distance.. the Travers are too long for a comeback effort).

This weekend, the big race is the Jim Dandy (named after the surprise long shot winner of the Travers long ago).
    Essential Quality will be using this race as the tune-up for the Travers:
    Also entered will be Weyburn and Dr. Jack who did well in the Pegasus against Mandaloran at Monmouth a month ago.
    EQ is not a workout warrior, so don't read into that, but Saratoga is the Graveyard of Champions.

The Alfred Vanderbilt (remember Biltmore house NC??) for sprinters has drawn Mischevious Alex, Firenze Fire, Whitmore, and Special Reserve:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1341944
    A great race!

At Del Mar, the track built with the leadership of Bing Crosby's Thoroughbred Track Club, is the Bing Crosby Handicap:
    C Z Rocket and (the recently missing) Dr. Shivel are entered.

Earlier on the card at Del Mar is a first time starter named Astronomer. Not sure if that should be in the astronomy thread or here???
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...17&param3=2387
    Race 3 at Del Mar by Air Force Blue. The Air Force Blue 2YOs were a revelation last year. Will that continue this year?

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Any idea why Life Is Good is no longer with Baffert. I saw on Equibase he has been working this summer at Keeneland. So that may explain it.

Any idea why Life Is Good is no longer with Baffert. I saw on Equibase he has been working this summer at Keeneland. So that may explain it.
    Based on the comments in this article:
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...ng_surgery_123
    the owners (including Winstar farms..) feel that opportunities are limited for LIG if he can't race in New York or Kentucky. They are very complimentary of the Baffert people for getting him back to good health otherwise.

Larry

P.S. saw a 2YO maiden named Life is Great, no obvious relation by ownership or breeding But I Digress.

Monmouth Park has been handing out 5 day suspensions to Jockeys for not using the whip in designated fashion (safety purposes only). Jockey Carlos Montalvo got five days for going to the whip in recent race for the first such suspension.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Catemaco Starts Sunday

Looking for a feel good story this weekend?

Here's a horse, Catemaco, who nearly died as a foal, needed an emergency tracheotomy to live, and won his first and only start when he was a 4YO in January this year.
    Here's the story:
    https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...aving-measures

Guess who showed up in an Optional Claimer this Sunday at Del Mar?? I don't think ANYONE is going to claim this horse. He is in for a price (I don't know why):
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1099424

There have been a number of horses that come to mind that have defied the odds. I remember a horse named Jose Binn who lost a hoof, and survived with a prostetic. This is yet another wonderful survivor.d

Larry
    DevilHorse

Don't you love it when horses are entered into the races named for their sires?

And so it is for Friday's Curlin Stakes at Saratoga:
    Two of the seven entrants are sired by Curlin himself, including the undefeated $1.5M First Captain.
    Another horse mentioned earlier in this thread, Collaborate is also in this field; Collaborate is a $600K son of Into Mischief who has had an up and down career.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Dynamic One, who was 3rd in the Wood Memorial and hopelessly far back in the KYD, won the Curlin:
    First Captain needs a bit more seasoning.
    It seems Collaborate has had some issues with "flipping" his pallate.
    I had a horse with a problem like this once, and it takes time and the right Dr. to get it fixed. We had 2 procedures and it wasn't until a highly respected guy from Canada came down who ONLY did these types of procedures came through that it was fixed. Our horse was 'brand new' after the that operation.

In other races, looking to Sunday..

At Saratoga, in the Amsterdam, Jackie's Warrior and Drain The Clock knock heads again in what should be another doozy:

At Del Mar, the Clement Hirsch gives us Shedaresthedevil vs. As Time Goes By and Venetian Harbor:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1236852
    Shedaresthedevil will be venturing to the left coast for the first time.

Larry
    DevilHorse