Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 221 to 234 of 234
  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Good evening all!

    It looks like there will be a fast track, on a hot humid day in New York. Perfect Belmont weather.

    How will the race go?
    First, there are 3 horses that don't look like they belong: 1-Bourbonic, 5-France Go De Ina, and 8-Overtook. They are good horses, and I'd love to own them, but they just haven't shown the consistency at a high level that suggest they belong.

    Second, throw out the Kentucky Derby Results. The KYD is a crazy race, with traffic problems for everyone (except any wire to wire front runner who doesn't happen to be here). The Belmont has a) few horses (less chance of being stuck or penalized for maneuvering around a horse) b) less traffic problems c) big sweeping turns that means being wide loses less ground if you are caught 2 or 3 wide.

    Third, it is doubtful that any of these horses will ever run another 1 1/2 mile race again, and this will be a tactical race. But there will be a horse that takes the lead? That is likely to be Rock Your World; if he is not challenged, he could control the fractions and keep them moderate and be there at the end. He has the breeding to go the full distance with Empire Maker as a broodmare sire. But he may be dogged closely.

    Fourth, Known Agenda will have a great rider, but it will not be Irad Ortiz, who was injured on Thursday; so a step down there. But his trainer owns Belmont and The Belmont. KA has only had one start since he won the Florida Derby in March (3 months). His works 'say' he had a great 5 furlong work, but .. not really. He was only the fastest of 10 horses at 5 furlongs, but 1:01 is a pedestrian time for a horse of this quality. Overall, indicators are so-so for him.

    Fifth, Hot Rod Charlie has the most experience in the field and retains the services of Flavien Prat based on his commitment made just after finishing 3rd in the KYD. This horse gets a lot of credit for recent game results, and he is game, but he's won 2 of 8. Maybe a trifecta possibility.

    Sixth, Rombauer gains Velasquez and loses Prat as his pilot. Velasquez is having a better year than Prat! Rombauer's game is coming from behind. No better place to do that then Belmont. You need a hot pace for this guy to use that long stretch. We know that Essential Quality and Hot Rod Charlie can finish at the end of a Classic race at a high rate of speed, so they will not both be coming back to the field. Rombauer has had (just) 3 weeks to recover from his great Preakness victory might be enough for an average Belmont, but will this be that?

    Seventh, Essential Quality has not run a bad or mediocre race. His only losing race was the 1 length loss, where he traveled an extra (what was it?) 50 feet by going wide in the turns. He was not making up ground in the KYD as we all anticipated, or was it that the other horses just had extra oomph. Essential Quality looks like a big horse, and he only had 2 races since November to get in shape. Perhaps that's enough for today's TBreds. I think a workout, on a good track, of 5f of 59 or 59.2 is more like a good tightener than 1:01, especially out of 43 horses. This horse has a high cruising speed and will likely stalk Rock Your World and will take over the lead coming out of the far turn. Most jockeys know not to move too soon in the Belmont. Silver Charm and Smarty Jones know that. Luis Saez won't make that mistake, but he has to outkick Rombauer. That will be fun.

    I'm picking:

    1: Essential Quality
    2: Rombauer # Coming up and not getting there
    3: Hot Rod Charlie # Making a Stand

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Very exciting race!!
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on

    Kudos to Essential Quality for winning the Belmont establishing many points. Re-establishing his prominent position at or near the top of the 3YO division. Showing that Tapit can indeed sire a Classic winner. Giving super trainer Brad Cox his first Classic win. Satisfying those who only 'bet on the grey'.
    Special shout out to Hot Rod Charlie who cut a fast pace, was challenged and disposed of two horses, and lived to tell about it and provided us with a thrilling stretch duel; finishing 11 lengths ahead of the 3rd place horse Rombauer. The final time of 2:27 was one of the faster Belmonts.

    Unlike the KYD, Essential Quality got off to a clean start and stayed near 2 wide of the rail. I have the feeling that the jockeys were staying off the rail today because of all of the rain that the course took in the last 2 days. Many horses on the lead were taken wide today and that can't be a coincidence. Jockeys pick the course they take and only a tired horse would drift out like that on the turn. These horses did not give up the lead. Luis Saez, who is usually very aggressive, had a good plan. He knew the pace was quick, and the race was long. He kept the usual pace stalking Essential Quality back further and longer than usual, and that proved to be a valuable tactic. When Hot Rod Charlie needed to respond, he didn't have enough gas left to hold off the long sustained drive that EQ showed in the KYD, but was not available for any other participants.

    Overtook finished last of the finishers (my proudest prediction ).

    Rombauer did not run his race either. He was very forwardly placed in this race. He was much further back in his previous successes and did not have the furious kick that he is noted for. The logical question is whether he needed more downtime between races. Will he stay in the East or go to Del Mar to take on the (hungry) Baffert horses.

    Speaking of Bob Baffert, what I learned from the newspapers and the broadcast is that Pimlico is owned by the same people who own Santa Anita, so as long as Santa Anita lets BB race, Pimlico is an option. They have a few big stakes, but not much. Also, Monmouth in New Jersey has sent an open invitation to Bob Baffert saying 'come on down'. As mentioned earlier (and predicted) Bob Baffert and the Monmouth Park people have had a good relationship and they plan to continue that. Racing commisions and Race Tracks evidently have different spirit animals.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Very exciting race!!
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on

    Kudos to Essential Quality for winning the Belmont establishing many points. Re-establishing his prominent position at or near the top of the 3YO division. Showing that Tapit can indeed sire a Classic winner. Giving super trainer Brad Cox his first Classic win. Satisfying those who only 'bet on the grey'.
    Special shout out to Hot Rod Charlie who cut a fast pace, was challenged and disposed of two horses, and lived to tell about it and provided us with a thrilling stretch duel; finishing 11 lengths ahead of the 3rd place horse Rombauer. The final time of 2:27 was one of the faster Belmonts.

    Unlike the KYD, Essential Quality got off to a clean start and stayed near 2 wide of the rail. I have the feeling that the jockeys were staying off the rail today because of all of the rain that the course took in the last 2 days. Many horses on the lead were taken wide today and that can't be a coincidence. Jockeys pick the course they take and only a tired horse would drift out like that on the turn. These horses did not give up the lead. Luis Saez, who is usually very aggressive, had a good plan. He knew the pace was quick, and the race was long. He kept the usual pace stalking Essential Quality back further and longer than usual, and that proved to be a valuable tactic. When Hot Rod Charlie needed to respond, he didn't have enough gas left to hold off the long sustained drive that EQ showed in the KYD, but was not available for any other participants.

    Overtook finished last of the finishers (my proudest prediction ).

    Rombauer did not run his race either. He was very forwardly placed in this race. He was much further back in his previous successes and did not have the furious kick that he is noted for. The logical question is whether he needed more downtime between races. Will he stay in the East or go to Del Mar to take on the (hungry) Baffert horses.

    Speaking of Bob Baffert, what I learned from the newspapers and the broadcast is that Pimlico is owned by the same people who own Santa Anita, so as long as Santa Anita lets BB race, Pimlico is an option. They have a few big stakes, but not much. Also, Monmouth in New Jersey has sent an open invitation to Bob Baffert saying 'come on down'. As mentioned earlier (and predicted) Bob Baffert and the Monmouth Park people have had a good relationship and they plan to continue that. Racing commisions and Race Tracks evidently have different spirit animals.

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    The NBC commentators mentioned they did not expect the Kentucky Racing Commission to punish Baffert as severely as Churchill Downs. I hope they were wrong. With Keeneland hosting the Breeder’s Cup in 2022, I am hoping he receives a two year suspension just like Churchill Downs. At this point his lie about hiring a top Lexington vet to oversee his stable last fall says it all to me. He never corrected that statement until the vet’s lawyer corrected him after Medina Spirit tested positive. I wonder if other trainers in California are secretly enjoying his problems. Not because he was so successful, but because you have to wonder how many times your horse lost to him when he was doing something against the rules. As an owner why would you want your horse to race under the cloud of Baffert’s cheating?

    As for Monmouth Park what a statement you send. You can’t whip the horse, but the most notorious current cheater is invited to run his horses. Is that a sign of desperation or simply money talks?

    All of this reinforces why horse racing needs a commissioner. The same rules and punishments nationwide.

  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post

    As for Monmouth Park what a statement you send. You can’t whip the horse, but the most notorious current cheater is invited to run his horses. Is that a sign of desperation or simply money talks?

    All of this reinforces why horse racing needs a commissioner. The same rules and punishments nationwide.
    To be sure, it is HORSES that talk as well as MONEY. Monmouth is run by a group of horseman who took over the track when it was about to go out of business when Chris Christie said to NJ horse racing to 'sink or swim' without any subsidy from the state. He chased the entire breeding industry out of the state and left many farms and workers without sources of income. These horsemen know that to bring in fans and betting dollars you need to have the top trainers and horses to attract the eyeballs on the internet, TVG, and in the stands to make bets. Otherwise, they will be out of business. Monmouth has had one foot in the grave several times and you want to tell them not to make a deal with the devil (I'd be hard pressed to go that far with Baffert since he is not getting a lifetime, 10 year, or even 5 year ban) to help their prospects on their biggest racing day of the year? It may not be of the highest character, but it is understandable considering their position.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post

    All of this reinforces why horse racing needs a commissioner. The same rules and punishments nationwide.
    Well, Mike Krzyzewski said he wouldn't be the college-basketball czar. He didn't say anything about horse racing.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    To be sure, it is HORSES that talk as well as MONEY. Monmouth is run by a group of horseman who took over the track when it was about to go out of business when Chris Christie said to NJ horse racing to 'sink or swim' without any subsidy from the state. He chased the entire breeding industry out of the state and left many farms and workers without sources of income. These horsemen know that to bring in fans and betting dollars you need to have the top trainers and horses to attract the eyeballs on the internet, TVG, and in the stands to make bets. Otherwise, they will be out of business. Monmouth has had one foot in the grave several times and you want to tell them not to make a deal with the devil (I'd be hard pressed to go that far with Baffert since he is not getting a lifetime, 10 year, or even 5 year ban) to help their prospects on their biggest racing day of the year? It may not be of the highest character, but it is understandable considering their position.

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    In post position number one, it's Scum-Sucking Pus-Bucket! Oh wait, are we talking about horse racing, or hoops in Chapel Hill?

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, Mike Krzyzewski said he wouldn't be the college-basketball czar. He didn't say anything about horse racing.
    I don't think this quite equates. The statement makes sense at a high level, but..

    I wouldn't be in favor of having Pyrrhic victories where you establish order in various jurisdictions, only to have some tracks fold because they can't (immediately) compete under the new rules. You would need a grace period, or working with their states to transition to new sets of rules. For example, if new rules or constraints on how you conduct business limit the product you put on the track will affect you revenue stream (betting) or income (fees via licenses) then you are going to need to have time to work with your legislatures/local governments to keep things afloat.

    You want to give each track a chance to survive in their local areas. They have been closing at an alarming rate and building new ones does not happen often. There are 1000s of people who depend on the tracks in every area, and many farms (green spaces). They are worth preserving too.

    Tracks that have been in precarious situations recently include Monmouth Park, Arlington Park, and The Meadowlands that I know of.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Saturday's Card is a winner. Lot's of familiar names and great competition in some races. Something for everyone.

    Race 1 - Start you off with a bunch of 2YO maidens (something for everyone):
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...414&param3=345
    #4 Wit is by the young sire Practical Joke. He is the most expensive (auction sold) horse in the bunch and shows the best workouts.

    Race 3 - The Woody Stephens.
    I remember when Woody Stephens owned the Belmont Stakes. I think he won it 5 years in a row.
    Woody was a very humble, soft-spoken man. Great horseman.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...242&param3=345
    If I didn't know better, I would have guessed in April that this was a prep for the Kentucky Derby.
    This race pits: Caddo River, Drain The Clock, Jackie's Warrior, and Dream Shake against each other in a 7f throw down. These are the top speed horses from the prep races. I think it is a Drain The Clock/Jackie's Warrior Exacta Box (i.e., Quinella for you Jai Alai guys). Almost as good as the Belmont because this is a sprint for sprinters.

    Race 4 - The Brooklyn Handicap for 1.5M
    I remember Brooklyn (I was born there to be near my mother).
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=533544
    Not the best set of Handicap horses in the world. When the purse money is more than the horses have won, that says something about the field.
    Moretti and Lone Rock might be the best (said advisedly); not that I'd complain if I owned even the worst of them.

    Race 5 - The Acorn
    The first jewel in the triple Tiara for 3YO fillies.
    Notice, there is no 3rd jewel after the KY Oaks and Black Eyed Susan, but there is a triple tiara in NY.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=666930
    Small but select field of 6.
    Search Results vs. Travel Office. Dayattheoffice might have something to say.

    Race 6 - The Jaipur (Turf)
    Fast Boat vs. Gregorian Court

    Race 7 - The Ogden Phipps
    Phipps was not just a great owner and breeder, but a compass for racing integrity. We need more guys like that. Claude "Shugg" McGaughey was his longtime trainer and also shares his values. Always glad to see a big race named after good people.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=933702
    Yet another RACE OF THE DAY if it was any other day.
    Swiss Skydiver, Shedaresthedevil, Valiance, Letruska, and Bonny South. They all have credentials to win this. Where is Monomoy Girl?
    If Swiss Skydiver goes back to last year's form, she wins. Otherwise, it is close between Letruska and Shedaresthedevil. Body language and track conditions would guide my bet here.

    Race 8 - Just A Game (turf)
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1067088

    Race 9 - Metropolitan
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1200474
    Knicks Go vs. Mischievious Alex and By My Standards.
    Has Knicks Go recovered from his trip to Asia?
    Did By My Standards do the right thing by scratching from the Sexton Mile?
    Is Mischievious Alex as real a deal at Belmont as he was at Aqueduct?


    Race 10 - the Manhattan (750k - Turf)
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1333860
    Colonel Liam vs. Channel Cat vs. Gufo.
    Gufo seems to always almost get there; but Belmont has a really long turf stretch. He gets there.

    Race 11 - the Belmont
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1467246
    I don't know these horses.
    Perhaps I'll comment later or tomorrow

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    A bit late, but I was out of town yesterday and wanted to add Beyers to comments.

    Wit looks like he has a future. Yes, he was the chalk, but he ran great and was the best juvenile to run in the country. Was a 70 Beyer, but he looks to have a future.

    Search Results was much the best in the Acorn for 3YO Fillies with a 95 Beyer. If she progresses, she will have another throw down with Malathaat for divisional honors. Will they continue to avoid each other until the Breeder's Cup? Malathaat beat Search Results in the Kentucky Oaks if you recall. Paging Aunt Pearl.

    Silver State continues to impress as he won the Metropolitan with an inside trip, with a 100 Beyer.

    Domestic Spending was also impressive in the Manhattan with a tremendous 106 Beyer.

    It is now Letruska who stands at the top of the Mare division. She has now disposed of all comers in her dominating defeat of Shedaresthedevil with a 103 Beyer. Swiss Skywalker was scratched. Tough day for the daughters of Daredevil.

    Casa Creed won the Jaipur in a stirring last to first stretch sweep, earning a 105 Beyer. FAN's of Mike Fancessa and his JEH stable will note that he is a part owner as this is his first Grade I victory (I didn't see Emily in the post-Race interview).

    Drain The Clock outsprinted Jackie's Warrior in a rousing rendition of the Woody Stephens, earning a 97 Beyer.

    The Beyer of the day was Essential Quality's 109. That is really moving when you consider the time of 2:27 for these 3YOs under weight of 126. Well Done.

    Here is a picture of your Belmont winner yesterday morning, vegging out:
    EssQual1.jpg
    Word is that he and Hot Rod Charlie are both fine after their protracted stretch duel.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I don't think this quite equates. The statement makes sense at a high level, but..

    I wouldn't be in favor of having Pyrrhic victories where you establish order in various jurisdictions, only to have some tracks fold because they can't (immediately) compete under the new rules. You would need a grace period, or working with their states to transition to new sets of rules. For example, if new rules or constraints on how you conduct business limit the product you put on the track will affect you revenue stream (betting) or income (fees via licenses) then you are going to need to have time to work with your legislatures/local governments to keep things afloat.

    You want to give each track a chance to survive in their local areas. They have been closing at an alarming rate and building new ones does not happen often. There are 1000s of people who depend on the tracks in every area, and many farms (green spaces). They are worth preserving too.

    Tracks that have been in precarious situations recently include Monmouth Park, Arlington Park, and The Meadowlands that I know of.

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Um, you need to fine-tune your sarcasm meter. Or facetious meter. Or maybe I do. But one of us does.

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I don't think this quite equates. The statement makes sense at a high level, but..

    I wouldn't be in favor of having Pyrrhic victories where you establish order in various jurisdictions, only to have some tracks fold because they can't (immediately) compete under the new rules. You would need a grace period, or working with their states to transition to new sets of rules. For example, if new rules or constraints on how you conduct business limit the product you put on the track will affect you revenue stream (betting) or income (fees via licenses) then you are going to need to have time to work with your legislatures/local governments to keep things afloat.

    You want to give each track a chance to survive in their local areas. They have been closing at an alarming rate and building new ones does not happen often. There are 1000s of people who depend on the tracks in every area, and many farms (green spaces). They are worth preserving too.

    Tracks that have been in precarious situations recently include Monmouth Park, Arlington Park, and The Meadowlands that I know of.

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Maybe I just need to get my Air Conditioning fixed..ugh.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  10. #230

    Interesting Haskell Shaping Up

    The Pegasus Stakes (at Monmouth, not to be confused with the January handicap for older horses in Florida) will be run this week with Mandaloun (PPs not yet available), so says Brad Cox who is shipping the colt in later this week. As you know, the colt is expected to be elevated to "the winner" of the Kentucky Derby once all of the legal obstacles are accomplished. Cox has stated that the Pegasus at Monmouth is intended to be a prep race for the Haskell later this summer.
    As mentioned up-thread, Bob Baffert RULES the Haskell, and Monmouth officials have explicitly opened the door for him to bring any and all of his horses to Monmouth to race. Medina Spirit surely could find himself sunning on the Jersey Shore. Could we have a KYD redux in the offing?
    This was suggested this morning in the Asbury Park Press:
    https://asburyparkpress-nj.newsmemor...id_subscriber&
    It may be behind a pay-wall.

    Essential Quality is expected to go to the Travers.

    Interesting question: Since Essential Quality is Cox's first Classic winner, if/when Mandaloun is awarded 1st Place in the Kentucky Derby, does Essential Quality then get demoted to Brad Cox's second Classic winner?

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  11. #231
    OK, everyone (well, not everyone) is talking about this Sunday's (6/13/2021) Pegasus race at Monmouth Park. Of course they are there to see the undefeated colt take on the presumptive Kentucky Derby winner. Of course I'm talking about... Dr. Jack. What? You don't know Jack? He has won 2 races, including an Optional Claimer. Mandaloun is in a "tough" rendition of the Pegasus, against the likes of Brooklyn Strong (15th by 18 lengths) and Weyburn (last seen doing cosplay in Times Square after the Wood Memorial).

    But:
    + Dr. Jack is trained by Todd Pletcher. That could mean something.
    + They can't use whips, except for safety purposes at Monmouth. If Mandaloun doesn't get the memo (getting touched by the whip) what does he do?

    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1556170

    You'll have to tune in to find out.

    Do you think things can't happen?

    Remember last year when Authentic ran in the Pegasus?
    He was life and death to beat a horse named NY Traffic.
    Where in the world is NY Traffic today?

    Oh yes, he is at Monmouth Park preparing for the Salvatore Mile on Saturday:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1556170
    NY Traffic had a nice winning tune-up at 7f in preparation for this.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  12. #232
    Do you think there will be some horses who may run better as they resent the whip? Although I would guess a top notch trainer would have already figured that out. Another question, do they use a whip any in work outs? So can one assume the horses who work fast without whips might be the ones who will run best without whipping? Finally, wouldn’t it make sense to watch videos of Mandaloun’s races and see how much the jockey used the whip on him in his best races? As you can tell I have lots of questions about this “whipless” race. Although I would add that this type to racing could well become the norm and I am currently agnostic on the whole concept.

  13. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Do you think there will be some horses who may run better as they resent the whip? Although I would guess a top notch trainer would have already figured that out. Another question, do they use a whip any in work outs? So can one assume the horses who work fast without whips might be the ones who will run best without whipping? Finally, wouldn’t it make sense to watch videos of Mandaloun’s races and see how much the jockey used the whip on him in his best races? As you can tell I have lots of questions about this “whipless” race. Although I would add that this type to racing could well become the norm and I am currently agnostic on the whole concept.
    There is NO QUESTION that horses react differently to being whipped. In general, horses run away from the whip. You'll notice that jockeys in tight quarters with another horse will use the whip between the horses to move their horse away from the convergence of the horse; the horse moves away from the whip. Signalling a change/move from jockey to horse, you might see a single 'rap' on the hind quarters or the waving of the whip in front of the eye of the horse (a warning if you will).

    I have seen horses swish their tails every time they get whipped. If the tail is long enough, it "whips" the jockey right back (almost comedic).
    I remember seeing a standardbred horse named Chernobyl (years ago) who would violently flash his tail back into the drivers face when he was being whipped.
    The horse was leading and did eventually win, so I can't say it hurt his cause, but he did not look happy (the horse that is).

    I watched the Salvatore Mile today. NY Traffic had a small lead, but he seemed to race greenly and did not travel straight while in the lane; would the use of the whip have helped this horse? I don't know. The comments say he was outfinished by a length by a 79-1 shot:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on
    Could he have been urged on by a whip? I'm not sure a jockey will have the temerity to make those kind of comments.


    Larry
    DevilHorse

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    OK, everyone (well, not everyone) is talking about this Sunday's (6/13/2021) Pegasus race at Monmouth Park. Of course they are there to see the undefeated colt take on the presumptive Kentucky Derby winner. Of course I'm talking about... Dr. Jack. What? You don't know Jack? He has won 2 races, including an Optional Claimer. Mandaloun is in a "tough" rendition of the Pegasus, against the likes of Brooklyn Strong (15th by 18 lengths) and Weyburn (last seen doing cosplay in Times Square after the Wood Memorial).

    But:
    + Dr. Jack is trained by Todd Pletcher. That could mean something.
    + They can't use whips, except for safety purposes at Monmouth. If Mandaloun doesn't get the memo (getting touched by the whip) what does he do?

    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1556170

    You'll have to tune in to find out.

    Do you think things can't happen?

    Remember last year when Authentic ran in the Pegasus?
    He was life and death to beat a horse named NY Traffic.
    Where in the world is NY Traffic today?

    Oh yes, he is at Monmouth Park preparing for the Salvatore Mile on Saturday:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1556170
    NY Traffic had a nice winning tune-up at 7f in preparation for this.

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Mandaloun ran a very nice (prep) race in the Pegasus at Monmouth Park yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1404187869359476736
    At the onset of the race, Mandaloun lost 5 lengths when he was pinched out of the 2 hole by the 3 horse and had to take back; he had to go 3 wide on the far turn, so it was not the easiest of trips.
    Rather than the race call clip, I gave you the jockey interview clip because it better explained the end of the stretch drive.
    I wasn't sure if Weyburn's closing was his great effort OR Mandaloun tiring/no whip/lack of effort, but as explained by Geroux it was a lack of activity on his (jockey's) part. No doubt a whip being shown to the eyes of Mandaloun would have been the easy route. The "No Whip" rule takes a bit of getting used to. I think rustling the lines is probably a tertiary activity vs. other things that could be done.

    Here is the chart of the race. Mandaloun paid a generous $2.60, although with that finishing margin, it probably fit.
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on
    Mandaloun received a 93 Beyer for his efforts yesterday (compare to the 109 Beyer by EQ in the Belmont).

    I read an interesting observation this morning that the KYD horses, since the KYD have amassed a 15 3-3-2-4 record since the first Saturday in May, with Highly Motivated, Soup and Sandwich, Dynamic One & Hidden Stash yet to return. We've mentioned Essential Quality and Mandaloun as winners. Can anyone identify the KYD runner that has also won since the KYD?

    It is not one of the horses that I've talked about. Yes, he was in the KYD, and he won a minor stakes race at Belmont a couple of weeks ago.
    That chart is shown here:
    https://www.equibase.com/premium/cha...21&cy=USA&rn=9

    Larry
    DevilHorse

Similar Threads

  1. Horse Racing 2020
    By DevilHorse in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 274
    Last Post: 05-26-2021, 07:28 AM
  2. Horse Racing - 2019
    By DevilHorse in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-20-2019, 07:26 AM
  3. Car racing whaaaaa?
    By throatybeard in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 10:18 AM
  4. Open wheel racing truce
    By YmoBeThere in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •