Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    In case anyone hasn't heard (perhaps most of you) the HISA agreement, which was supposed to increase the integrity of horse racing in the USA, is in dire straights. The HISA people and the USADA people (the people who were intended to do the testing - US Anti-Doping Agency) could not come to an agreement. Specific details on where the talks fell apart are not available.

https://www.espn.com/horse-racing/st...doping-craters

Whether it is too many dopes involved or too many people who profit from the status quo is not obvious.
    My original view that not all parties that were to be restricted by the rules were represented by this legislation (different horses different regulations/needs/views) is still on the table.

Who knows where this goes.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post

TBreds have been a distinct breed for 300-400 years. But they race at different distances; does this cause lots of different genetic combinations for horses (sprinters can't compete at distance?). I heard the foal crop was down another 6% this year.. But I digress. I'm not sure if they are improving. The stud book is closed. They are not accepting new blood. Hybrid vigor suggests that the breed will slowly go down hill. The measureables suggest they are on a plateau, and the time between races is getting longer. Those are the facts as I see them. Why not open the stud book to quarter horses? I think the quarter horses accept some thoroughbred blood.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Looks like small fields for big stakes will continue for the foreseeable future. I saw this information yesterday:

The Jockey Club (TJC) announced Wednesday that breedings in 2021 have resulted in 18,609 live foals of 2022. At this same time last year, The Jockey Club reported that the breedings had resulted in 19,021 live foals, which marks a year-over-year decline of 2.2%. The foal crop has declined every year since 2015 and was at 35,274 as recently as 2008.

However, the yearling auctions have been up 10% in gross this year (and average). At some point the farms will start to produce more foals.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Nice 2YO Today at Keeneland

At Keeneland today a nice 2YO was unveiled by Steve Asmussen. He is a $1.35M son of Into Mischief:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1580656237015728128

Extra Anejo had bullet works coming into the race. He hit the 6f in 1:10.change, but finished the 7f in 1:27.change. Not a concern; his jockey had already pulled him up with a 10 length lead.

Not sure this one will attempt the BC Juvenile in 3 weeks; doesn't have the earnings.

Larry
    DevilHorse

This is in the 2021 thread, where is 2022?