Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think that FSU had at least two football games cancelled at the last moment after the opponent had already traveled to Tallahassee. I am very strongly in favor of caution and diligence in terms of testing but these 11th hour cancellations seem to be becoming a habit for them. But I'm sure the hotels in Tallahassee are appreciative as they get their revenue.

Most importantly, I hope that everyone is safe and healthy.
    Yeah, ugh...

I really don't get the last minute nature of a cancellation like this.

Who knows how things will go? Ohio State is now in the National Championship game after just a 6 game season prior to the playoffs. Or the ACC could take a pause? Or Duke could cancel?

Come on, 2021...I had such high hopes for you 24 hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    After this scare with Coach K, it wouldn't surprise me if the men's program follows the women's lead regarding the rest of the season.
    Yeah this is getting silly. If the post-thanksgiving bump is any indication, we're in for a world of hurt in a week or so.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    To be honest, it wouldn’t bother me if the Men’s team followed the Women’s lead on this. The most important thing here is safety and staying healthy! Coach K is definitely not getting younger and I’d LOVE to have him around for a few more years, at least.

If the Men’s team did cancel the rest of the reason, I can see a lot of other teams follow suit and eventually the season ending ... or at least pushed back.

Then comes the tricky question - Who will we lose if the team ends its season? We already have 2 scholarships signed for next year (with a possibility of 4 or 5, seeing as we are pushing for all 3 pretty hard). I can see Jalen leaving but beyond that, I have no idea. Maybe Matt?! I think this could be a fun exercise until we at least get to watch another game.
    I have said this earlier. I think the Men's team should follow the Women's team and just shut it down. Then no more frustrations in not knowing if *any* game will be played or not. Just know that there will be no more games... and work on individual stuff, along with teamwork where possible. BEST WISHES to all...
    Last edited by gep; 01-02-2021 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I have said this earlier. I think the Men's team should follow the Women's team and just shut it down. Then no more frustrations in not knowing if *any* game will be played or not. Just know that there will be no more games... and work on individual stuff, along with teamwork where possible. BEST WISHES to all...
    I think this above is a little of a defeatist attitude. It’s saying let’s just give up and that way our hopes aren’t dashed. Someone more famous than us said “better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all”- try and cancel is far better than not trying to play at all

The above smacks of just saying let’s just give up. Aren’t a few games better than none? 11 ACC games beats none n- I really enjoyed watching the 5 so far, especially the improvements v nd

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I think this above is a little of a defeatist attitude. It’s saying let’s just give up and that way our hopes aren’t dashed. Someone more famous than us said “better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all”- try and cancel is far better than not trying to play at all

The above smacks of just saying let’s just give up. Aren’t a few games better than none? 11 ACC games beats none n- I really enjoyed watching the 5 so far, especially the improvements v nd
    People have very different and emotional takes on this. lets not resort to name calling like "defeatist"

Or perhaps I should ask, would you be comfortable calling Kara Lawson and the women's team "defeatist" for "just giving up?"
    Last edited by uh_no; 01-02-2021 at 03:04 AM.
    April 1

By all indications they are trying to have a season. They’re trying hard. They just traveled to Tallahassee for nothing. At what point do we acknowledge that we’re putting staff and players and those around them in harm’s way. For what?

Someone should stand up and call for the entire NCAAM season to be delayed. See if we can get through Jan and Feb and reassess along the way. It will not surprise me at all to see K follow Kara Lawson’s lead on this.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    By all indications they are trying to have a season. They’re trying hard. They just traveled to Tallahassee for nothing. At what point do we acknowledge that we’re putting staff and players and those around them in harm’s way. For what?
    Agreed. We’ve had five games canceled already with more undoubtedly to come. What is the point of taking these risks to have a bastardized season?

This is dumb. Either call it a day or put things on pause for two months and then re-assess.

K made the overall point about the futility of this season when he cancelled the non-con games. Are we all just waiting for some player or coach to become deathly ill?
    Can't have this both ways. Daily, heck, hourly warnings about what's coming this winter just get shrugged off by ADs and the NCAA. At least that's what it looks like from our minor viewpoint.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I usually save drinking from my lucky Duke coffee mug for game days. Gonna have to start using that thing every day.

I'm curious if Duke's protocol requirements are tougher than other schools. That would explain a lot.

I am too

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDevil View Post
    I'm curious if Duke's protocol requirements are tougher than other schools. That would explain a lot.
    I’m also curious who pays our travel costs when we show up for a game the other team can’t play.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    I usually save drinking from my lucky Duke coffee mug for game days. Gonna have to start using that thing every day.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    After this scare with Coach K, it wouldn't surprise me if the men's program follows the women's lead regarding the rest of the season.
    Snark Alert: I agree with you, Kedsy, now that K has suffered a scare, ending the season becomes a real possibility. Too bad the health of the young men wasn’t sufficient to call it off.

Looking forward to the postponement of the Boston College game on the 6th. The big question is will it be a day before or on game day.

The Hoop Gods are trying to make a point, and the NCAA doesn't seem to be picking up on it. Maybe if they fly a mile long banner across the country they'll get more traction.

i'm sure that a lot of folks would see canceling the season as defeatist. a lot of others, though, would see it as doing the right thing.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I woke up to this news and was so sad... I had been looking forward to a Duke game for days. Then I realized, if this is affecting me, for whom there’s minimal actual impact, like this, how must these kids feel? It has to be doing a number on their mental health to be constantly bounced back and forth like this. On top of the K news, I can’t imagine how they’re feeling right now.

Something different needs to happen, and soon. I don’t claim to know what it is, because this situation is so hard and complex. But the ACC/NCAA need to start thinking about these kids first and money second.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDevil View Post
    According to news articles the women’s men was testing daily so the men’s team probably does the same. The women asked the ACC to mandate daily tests for the rest of the conference. The ACC declined, which was probably was the last straw for the women.

Has any other team in the country had this many games cancelled due to their OPPONENTS having positive cases? By that I mean, I know that other teams have lost as many games as us to due their own program having cases and shutting down. But we haven’t been the ones to cancel/postpone a single game. And yes I know that K had an exposure, but that wasn’t going to force a cancellation.

So far we have played five games and had three cancelled and two postponed (if my memory is correct). We’re batting 0.500. And that’s not including the lost exhibition games or C2. I was hoping that once we got into the conference season things would be better as the ACC is presumably stricter than others, but that hasn’t proven to be the case. Sigh. As frustrating as it is for us as fans, I can’t imagine what the players must feel. They spend days preparing for these games only to have the rug pulled out over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Has any other team in the country had this many games cancelled due to their OPPONENTS having positive cases? By that I mean, I know that other teams have lost as many games as us to due their own program having cases and shutting down. But we haven’t been the ones to cancel/postpone a single game. And yes I know that K had an exposure, but that wasn’t going to force a cancellation.

So far we have played five games and had three cancelled and two postponed (if my memory is correct). We’re batting 0.500. And that’s not including the lost exhibition games or C2. I was hoping that once we got into the conference season things would be better as the ACC is presumably stricter than others, but that hasn’t proven to be the case. Sigh. As frustrating as it is for us as fans, I can’t imagine what the players must feel. They spend days preparing for these games only to have the rug pulled out over and over again.
    Technical quibble: Duke did cancel three non-conference games. We could have played them, but chose to look after the mental well-being of our players. But your point still stands, any games cancelled due to positive tests are due to our opponents, not us, and it seems to have happened a lot.