Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This Week in the ACC - 12/28-1/3

A weird, weird non-conference slate is basically now wrapped up and we're into conference play in earnest.

Monday is dark

Tuesday
    [38]Virginia Tech (1-0) (-6) hosts [67]Miami (0-1) (6:00, ACCN)
    [20]Clemson (0-1) (-3) hosts [26]Florida State (1-0) (7:00, ACCNX)
    [12]Duke (1-0) (-10) hosts [77]Pittsburgh (1-1) (POSTPONED)

Wednesday
    [88]Notre Dame (0-1) (+4) hosts [18]Virginia (0-0) (6:00, ACCN)
    [40]NC State (1-0) (-10) hosts [104]Boston College (0-1) (8:00, ACCN)
    [78]Georgia Tech (0-1) (+4) hosts [21]North Carolina (0-1) (8:00, ACCNX)
    [124]Wake Forest hosts [29]Syracuse (POSTPONED)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
    [104]Boston College (0-1) (+6) hosts [27]Louisville (1-0) (12:00, RSN)
    [77]Pittsburgh (1-1) (-3) hosts [88]Notre Dame (0-1) (2:00, ACCN)
    [67]Miami (0-1) (+3) hosts [20]Clemson (0-1) (2:00, RSN)
    [18]Virginia (0-0) (-4) hosts [38]Virginia Tech (1-0) (4:00, ACCN)
    [26]Florida State (1-0) (+1) hosts [12]Duke (1-0) (8:00, ESPN2)
    [29]Syracuse hosts [21]North Carolina (POSTPONED)

Sunday
    [78]Georgia Tech (0-1) (-6) hosts [124]Wake Forest (0-0) (6:00, ACCN)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 60-22
    ACC vs. Power 6: 17-14
    AAC: 1-1
    America East: 2-0
    Atlantic Sun: 7-1
    Atlantic 10: 1-1
    Big XII: 0-1
    Big East: 2-2
    Big South: 7-0
    B1G: 7-10
    Colonial: 4-0
    CUSA: 1-0
    Horizon: 1-0
    MAAC: 2-0
    MAC: 3-0
    MEAC: 7-0
    MVC: 1-0
    MWC: 1-0
    NEC: 2-1
    OVC: 1-0
    Pac-12: 1-0
    SEC: 7-1
    Southern: 1-1
    Sun Belt: 0-1
    SWAC: 1-0
    WCC: 0-2
    Last edited by pfrduke; 12-28-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Duke -10 tomorrow night vs Pitt seems a bit generous to me but I’ll take it!

First post updated to reflect the disappointing development re tomorrow.

Clemson beat #18 FSU 77-67 tonight in South Carolina.

#24 Virginia Tech beat Miami tonight 80-78 in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Clemson beat #18 FSU 77-67 tonight in South Carolina.

#24 Virginia Tech beat Miami tonight 80-78 in Virginia.
    Cam, a new Degenerates League has started for the ACC conference season: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...g-Contest-here!!!

Come join us!

attended the Clemson game. A definite advantage to have even 2000 fans. Clemson is a legitimate mid/top tier ACC team - their defense is wonderful to watch (oh, for guys who have been in a D system that long)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Cam, a new Degenerates League has started for the ACC conference season: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...g-Contest-here!!!

Come join us!
    I’ll be there!

Thus far, although a strange year due to game cancellations and postponements because of Covid, the 2020-2021 version of the ACC appears to be one of the weakest fields in the past, say 15-20 years.

Thus far, although a strange year due to game cancellations and postponements because of Covid, the 2020-2021 version of the ACC appears to be one of the weakest fields in the past, say 15-20 years.
    We have ok representation in the top 25. But my gut tell me the same thing as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We have ok representation in the top 25. But my gut tell me the same thing as yours.
    Yeah we have FSU, Duke, UVa, and Virginia Tech in the Top 25. And actually, I think Clemson belongs there too. No one in the top 17 right now though. Solid league but by ACC standards, weaker this year.

Yeah we have FSU, Duke, UVa, and Virginia Tech in the Top 25. And actually, I think Clemson belongs there too. No one in the top 17 right now though. Solid league but by ACC standards, weaker this year.
    Only half that in the coaches poll.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Only half that in the coaches poll.
    Yes that is correct. I should have mentioned I was referencing the AP Poll

Long-time readers will know that this Duke fan has no love for other ACC teams (precisely because *their* fans have no love for Duke and roots hard against Duke in the NCAA tournament and other non-conference settings, for example).

That said, so you know where I'm coming from, I do believe this DBR forum is underrating the league. I'm a kenpom subscriber who is looking at the league page now and toggling back and forth between different years. Last season (19-20), the ACC was the 4th-best conference in the nation behind the B10, B12, and Big East, with the ACC sporting an average efficiency margin of 11.45.

Whereas *this* season, The ACC is the third-best conference behind the B10 and B12 while sporting an average efficiency margin of 14.99.

So you only have to go back one season to find a weaker ACC.

20-21 is just a deeper league than 19-20, so far.

Whereas last season, the ACC only had 4 teams ranked higher than 50 (by kenpom), this season the ACC has 9 teams ranked higher than 50.

What we're lacking (so far) is a Final Four contender. I'm hoping Duke can emerge to become that.

Whereas last season, the ACC only had 4 teams ranked higher than 50 (by kenpom), this season the ACC has 9 teams ranked higher than 50.

What we're lacking (so far) is a Final Four contender
    . I'm hoping Duke can emerge to become that.
    So basically like your typical B1G or B12 season?

I (understandably) got teased a bit at the start of the season for reading into postseason probabilities for Clemson after just 2 or 3 games. However, I think it's safe to say at this point that the Tigers are a no-brainer tournament team and in contention for top-4 seeding, pending any erm... Clemsoning.

With 4 top-50 wins so far, Torvik is projecting the Tigers as a 5 seed currently. Will be interesting to track Clemson the rest of the year. They've only got Duke and UVA once apiece, and UVA is at home. Could see Clemson get up into the 12-13 win range in conference which would put them in the stratosphere of a top 4 ACCT seed.

What we're lacking (so far) is a Final Four contender. I'm hoping Duke can emerge to become that.
    More evidence. As it happens, Bracket Matrix has 9 ACC teams in the tournament as of Christmas Eve: http://bracketmatrix.com/ . It's just that no one is given higher than a 4 seed.

Whereas in last season's final Bracket Matrix, only five ACC teams were chosen for the tournament. But we did get a 2-seed (FSU, the conference winner), a 3-seed (Duke), and a 4-seed (Louisville). All three of those teams, you could've reasonable seen make a Final Four run if the tournament had been played.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    So basically like your typical B1G or B12 season?

I (understandably) got teased a bit at the start of the season for reading into postseason probabilities for Clemson after just 2 or 3 games. However, I think it's safe to say at this point that the Tigers are a no-brainer tournament team and in contention for top-4 seeding, pending any erm... Clemsoning.

With 4 top-50 wins so far, Torvik is projecting the Tigers as a 5 seed currently. Will be interesting to track Clemson the rest of the year. They've only got Duke and UVA once apiece, and UVA is at home. Could see Clemson get up into the 12-13 win range in conference which would put them in the stratosphere of a top 4 ACCT seed.
    Oh yeah, I'm a believer in Clemson. (Cashed on them in Degenerates / real-life yesterday against FSU). I think you're right that they're looking like a 4 to 6 seed in the NCAA tournament.

https://twitter.com/BrendanRMarks/st...45525270163458

Woah. Big lineup changes for UNC...

- Kerwin Walton for Caleb Love
    - Andrew Platek for Leaky Black
    - Day'Ron Sharpe for Garrison Brooks
    So much for Love and Brooks NBA stock (which has been tanking for weeks).

UNC, where lottery picks go to become 2nd rounders.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    https://twitter.com/BrendanRMarks/st...45525270163458

So much for Love and Brooks NBA stock (which has been tanking for weeks).

UNC, where lottery picks go to become 2nd rounders.
    As Ms. Sage Grouse asked after first seeing Andrew Platek last year, "Is he really a college basketball player?" Not too many Groucho Marx look-alikes on the hardwood.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Caleb Love finally gets into the game and immediately commits a turnover. Message delivered, Roy!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?