NFL Tiebreaking Rules 2020

Part I: NFC East
    I'm sure many of us wonder why this matters -- the best possible record out of the division is 7-9, which sounds disastrous. But, but, but... as one TV sage said, the winner of the NFC East gets a home playoff game against a wild card team. The division is definitely worth winning.

The teams in position to win are WFT (7-9), the Cowboys (7-9), and the Giants (6-10). WFT plays at the Eagles on Sunday night, while the 'Boys travel to play the Giants in an early game. Here is the situation:

If Washington wins, it's the NFL East champ. It either has the best record or the head-to-head record against the Cowboys -- WFT won both Dallas games.

If Washington loses and Dallas beats New York, the Cowboys win by virtue of having the best record.

If Washington coughs it up against the Eagles and Dallas loses to NY, then the Giants win a three-way tie by having a 3-1 record against the other two (WFT is 2-2 and Dallas would be 1-3).

Not sure for whom I am rooting, but it ain't Dallas.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I see the NFL has all games scheduled for this Sunday. This is to TRY AND KEEP teams in the playoff hunt from sitting players in later games. There will be 1pm games and 4:25 pm games but all on the same day.

1PM
    MIAMI @ BUF.
    BALT @ CIN
    PITT @ CLE
    NYJ @ NE
    MIN. @ DET
    DAL @ NYG
    ATL @ TB

4:25
    NO @ CAR
    GB @ CHIC
    LV @ DEN
    LAC @ KC
    AZ @ LAR
    SEA @ SF
    TENN @ HOU
    JAX @ INDY

8:20
    WFT @ PHI

WFT fans will more than likely have to sit up late to see if their team wins the NFC East. The Eagles are out of playoff contention but would like to knock the WFT out of the playoffs. If the WFT wins they are champs no matter if Dallas or the Giants win.

ps: I'm with sage I sure ain't rooting for the Cowboys. To me that would be like rooting for the Uncheats. Well not that bad.

Haters going to hate lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I see the NFL has all games scheduled for this Sunday. This is to TRY AND KEEP teams in the playoff hunt from sitting players in later games. There will be 1pm games and 4:25 pm games but all on the same day.

1PM
    MIAMI @ BUF.
    BALT @ CIN
    PITT @ CLE
    NYJ @ NE
    MIN. @ DET
    DAL @ NYG
    ATL @ TB

4:25
    NO @ CAR
    GB @ CHIC
    LV @ DEN
    LAC @ KC
    AZ @ LAR
    SEA @ SF
    TENN @ HOU
    JAX @ INDY

8:20
    WFT @ PHI

WFT fans will more than likely have to sit up late to see if their team wins the NFC East. The Eagles are out of playoff contention but would like to knock the WFT out of the playoffs. If the WFT wins they are champs no matter if Dallas or the Giants win.

ps: I'm with sage I sure ain't rooting for the Cowboys. To me that would be like rooting for the Uncheats. Well not that bad.
    I think it's a given that Cowboys = unc.

-jk

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think it's a given that Cowboys = unc.

-jk
    I think the Pats have taken that title, given the amount of cheating going on there.

New Orleans Saints Pull a 'Bronco'

Saints' running back Alvin Kamara, a pillar of Sage's Fantasy Team, tested positive for COVID. Because he has had contact with the other RB's, the whole crew must sit for tomorrow's game against the Carolina Panthers. This is a "Bronco," named after the first team who had to sit all players at one position. The Broncos lost all their QB's and had to play a WR off the practice squad who had played some quarterback in college. Didn't work well for Denver (3-31), but maybe NO can find a way to score more against Carolina.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Part I: NFC East
    I'm sure many of us wonder why this matters -- the best possible record out of the division is 7-9, which sounds disastrous. But, but, but... as one TV sage said, the winner of the NFC East gets a home playoff game against a wild card team. The division is definitely worth winning.

The teams in position to win are WFT (7-9), the Cowboys (7-9), and the Giants (6-10). WFT plays at the Eagles on Sunday night, while the 'Boys travel to play the Giants in an early game. Here is the situation:

If Washington wins, it's the NFL East champ. It either has the best record or the head-to-head record against the Cowboys -- WFT won both Dallas games.

If Washington loses and Dallas beats New York, the Cowboys win by virtue of having the best record.

If Washington coughs it up against the Eagles and Dallas loses to NY, then the Giants win a three-way tie by having a 3-1 record against the other two (WFT is 2-2 and Dallas would be 1-3).

Not sure for whom I am rooting, but it ain't Dallas.
    When it's not my team I'm rooting for I want the most fun team and that leaves only Dallas. I wanted Philly for Hurts but that is no longer an option.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Go WFT!
    Ot is somewhat bothersome that all they had to do to get into the playoffs was win one of their last three games and now there is only one game remaining. We are still waiting for said win. Also that the Eagles seem much better with their backup quarterback, but the WFT got much worse as soon as Smith was injured.
    Time will tell. They should win, but will they?
    And l will join in with the others.... I feel almost the same way about the cowboys as I so about UNC.

Saints' running back Alvin Kamara, a pillar of Sage's Fantasy Team, tested positive for COVID. Because he has had contact with the other RB's, the whole crew must sit for tomorrow's game against the Carolina Panthers. This is a "Bronco," named after the first team who had to sit all players at one position. The Broncos lost all their QB's and had to play a WR off the practice squad who had played some quarterback in college. Didn't work well for Denver (3-31), but maybe NO can find a way to score more against Carolina.
    They should play Taysom Hill at RB. He has played every other skill position on the offense, right?

Plus, every handoff would have the added possibility of a RB-pass... which would totally scramble the brain of the defensive backs and safeties.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

More importantly (to me) I need a Seattle win, a Panthers win and a Bears win for that number one spot!

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    When it's not my team I'm rooting for I want the most fun team and that leaves only Dallas. I wanted Philly for Hurts but that is no longer an option.
    Ew. What exactly is fun about the Cowboys?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Ew. What exactly is fun about the Cowboys?
    Well, it's fun when they lose, but I don't think that was JNort's point.
    Sage Grouse

The end game sequence of incomplete pass not being challenged, backpedaling interception in the end zone, and self-forced fumble recovered (in part) by being sat on really encapsulates this year’s NFC East.

Best 8-word string in football:

The Cowboys have been eliminated from playoff contention.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I will shamelessly root for the WFT. Name change, Rivera, and Alex Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I will shamelessly root for the WFT. Name change, Rivera, and Alex Smith
    I've rooted for the Washington [deleted] for 50+ years, but I wouldn't object to see Daniel Jones in the playoffs. For now, it looks like a possibility.
    Sage Grouse