Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Degenerate Gamblers 2020-21 ACC Picking Contest here!!!

It is on like Donkey Kong!!

For folks who are not familiar, this is a contest where you pick college basketball games against the spread or the over/under. You make wagers in the amount of 100-500 units on each game and we keep track to see who is the best picker. This contest will include games played between now and the end of the ACC schedule including the ACC Tournament. With some uncertainty, I made the date the end of March, but it is likely the ACC regular season games and tournament will be done before then.

Important rule: Though the website will display games that do not involve ACC teams, YOU CAN ONLY PICKS GAMES INVOLVING 2 ACC TEAMs. If you pick, for example, the Kentucky-Florida game, then (regardless of whether your pick is right or wrong) you will pay a penalty of being forced to make an incorrect pick in some other game to balance out your improper pick. It really is easier if we do not go there so just remember to ONLY PICK GAMES INVOLVING 2 ACC TEAMS!

One more important rule-- it is possible to be such a loser that you are eliminated from the contest. As in years past, if you find yourself 5000 units in the hole, you are out and may not make any more picks. Now, if you are -4900 you can still make a bunch of picks that day in the hope of catching up, but the moment you get to -5000, you are done picking.

If you have any other questions feel free to post it here and I can answer. For now, follow the instructions below and get started!

Contest Name: DBR 2020-21 ACC Picking contest
    Access Password: GoDuke
    Commissioner: JasonEvans
    Start Date: Dec 28 2020
    End Date: Mar 30 2021
    How To Join: Click on to the following link --> https://contests.covers.com/officepo...6-ac9f00b4563a

-Jason "when this contest ends, we will have one for the NCAA Tourney as well" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Another reminder since this trips people up sometimes:

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    YOU CAN ONLY PICKS GAMES INVOLVING 2 ACC TEAMs.

I am in. Good luck!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Another reminder since this trips people up sometimes:
    Are there any games left involving only 1 ACC team? I guess it depends on how you feel about BC's satatus
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Are there any games left involving only 1 ACC team? I guess it depends on how you feel about BC's satatus
    Potentially some early season games that were postponed due to COVID and get rescheduled for later in the season - though I don’t know how likely those are to be played given how tight the schedules are.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Potentially some early season games that were postponed due to COVID and get rescheduled for later in the season - though I don’t know how likely those are to be played given how tight the schedules are.
    Given that it appears the conference will be looking to make up conference games that get postponed, I doubt they will have much room to make up those far less important non-conference games.

New strategy: Go all in on every available pick until I flame out or the season prematurely ends for Duke.

Taking side bets on which comes first. Anyone in?

Quote Originally Posted by peterjswift View Post
    New strategy: Go all in on every available pick until I flame out or the season prematurely ends for Duke.

Taking side bets on which comes first. Anyone in?
    You're going to shoot to the top of the leaderboard.

Scared money always loses while carefree money often wins.

I already regret taking Clemson since you're on FSU.

You're going to shoot to the top of the leaderboard.

Scared money always loses while carefree money often wins.

I already regret taking Clemson since you're on FSU.
    This matches my experience with the stock market.

My bets have been placed for today’s games. I took the home teams [Clemson (-1.5) and Virginia Tech (-6)].
    Bob Green

Whoa, I can't believe us Miami backers got the backdoor cover like that. When I bet the game, I thought Lykes and McGusty were going to play. (My weakness is being too lazy to track the injury wire, haha). When they were announced out, the line actually ballooned to like 9, and it looked like VaTech was going to cover easily for awhile.

Why oh why did I take a UVA over?

my picks looked good

Great work, GreenWaveDukie.

It's been a long time since I haven't been at the top of the leaderboard!

If the ACC were to shut down, what is the minimum number of games to qualify for a ‘season’ in the Degenerates Pool and still be awarded the Green Jacket? (asking for a friend)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    If the ACC were to shut down, what is the minimum number of games to qualify for a ‘season’ in the Degenerates Pool and still be awarded the Green Jacket? (asking for a friend)
    Haha, good question for Commissioner Jason.

Imo, half the games should be played. So, 75 conference games total.

Haha, good question for Commissioner Jason.

Imo, half the games should be played. So, 75 conference games total.
    I have consulted the rules and the prize you win is the same whether there are 150 games played or only 1

Ok, in all seriousness, I would consider anything more than 30 games to be a large enough sample size to make it legitimate.

I had the perfect handicap (NCSU and under) on this game until the luck of overtime kicked in. Man, even the great ones have to deal with bad beats, boys.

It's all good. I haven't been in a chase position in over a year. This is going to be fun!

More cancellations for tomorrow (Florida State-Pittsburgh, Clemson-Pus Buckets). Hey Jason, how about dispensation for placing fake bets on Georgetown at Syracuse? It feels like a conference game . . .

I lost on the Over (141.5) in the Duke game last night but I’m back at it tonight taking Virginia (-9.5) and FSU (-3.5).
    Bob Green