Leslie West, RIP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ff1_story.html

Singer and guitarist for power-trio Mountain. Those of us of a certain age recall Mountain playing at Wade during Joe College in the early 1970s. Loudest concert I've ever heard and it was out doors, so loud that residents of Durham neighborhoods complained in great numbers to the powers-that-be. I always heard that this concert contributed to the demise of Joe College, although the football coaches were none to fond of having a concert on the Wade field.

Not the most subtle of musicians. But he had his moments and he did influence latter generations of musicians to play even louder.

From my area of Queens, NY - Forest Hills. Was with a popular local group - The Vagrants - before Mountain.

sorry to see him go...amazing musician...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ff1_story.html

Singer and guitarist for power-trio Mountain. Those of us of a certain age recall Mountain playing at Wade during Joe College in the early 1970s. Loudest concert I've ever heard and it was out doors, so loud that residents of Durham neighborhoods complained in great numbers to the powers-that-be. I always heard that this concert contributed to the demise of Joe College, although the football coaches were none to fond of having a concert on the Wade field.

Not the most subtle of musicians. But he had his moments and he did influence latter generations of musicians to play even louder.
    IIRC (and that's dangerous since it's been about 50 years since that concert) West concluded the concert, I left because of the noise level, and when I got back to my dorm, I could hear the music perfectly well from there, very convenient (and I probably saved some of my hearing).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    IIRC (and that's dangerous since it's been about 50 years since that concert) West concluded the concert, I left because of the noise level, and when I got back to my dorm, I could hear the music perfectly well from there, very convenient (and I probably saved some of my hearing).
    Windsor?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Windsor?
    yes, I think I was in Windsor at that time...you?

Yes, Mountain wrapped up the day's festivities. It being the early 1970s, things did not run with clock-work precision. Starting times for concerts were just a vague suggestion. My recollection is that everyone started a little later than expected and by the time Mountain came on the schedule was a cluster-you-know-what. I'm not sure what time they wrapped up but I'm pretty sure it was well after midnight.

Remember this was outside. I cannot imagine how loud Mountain would have been indoors but I think "aural assault" would have been accurate. Mountain's bass guitarist Felix Pappalardi produced their records and he was very accomplished in the studio. As a result Mountain's records are very listenable. But based on this concert and the few concerts I've heard on record or on-line, subtlety and nuance went out to window in live settings.

yes, I think I was in Windsor at that time...you?
    Yup. We discussed that months ago. My freshman year. 70-71.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Yup. We discussed that months ago. My freshman year. 70-71.
    yes, I knew you were in Windsor and remember you well, but was not 100% sure the concert occurred during my Windsor days.

Yes, Mountain wrapped up the day's festivities. It being the early 1970s, things did not run with clock-work precision. Starting times for concerts were just a vague suggestion. My recollection is that everyone started a little later than expected and by the time Mountain came on the schedule was a cluster-you-know-what. I'm not sure what time they wrapped up but I'm pretty sure it was well after midnight.

Remember this was outside. I cannot imagine how loud Mountain would have been indoors but I think "aural assault" would have been accurate. Mountain's bass guitarist Felix Pappalardi produced their records and he was very accomplished in the studio. As a result Mountain's records are very listenable. But based on this concert and the few concerts I've heard on record or on-line, subtlety and nuance went out to window in live settings.
    Indeed, a concert that started within an hour of the announced time was a rarity...so I recall being very shocked when I saw the Stones in Charlotte in 1972 and they started on time and were sensational. I was pleasantly surprised.
    About 45 years later I read Keef Richards' autobiography (outstanding book) and he specifically mentioned that several concert stretch in '72 was perhaps the best they very played, due to various issues...

Indeed, a concert that started within an hour of the announced time was a rarity...so I recall being very shocked when I saw the Stones in Charlotte in 1972 and they started on time and were sensational. I was pleasantly surprised.
    About 45 years later I read Keef Richards' autobiography (outstanding book) and he specifically mentioned that several concert stretch in '72 was perhaps the best they very played, due to various issues...
    I also saw that concert. Mind-boggling fact. Opening act? Stevie Wonder. Seriously, folks.

I also saw that concert. Mind-boggling fact. Opening act? Stevie Wonder. Seriously, folks.
    Any more mind-boggling than Jimi Hendrix opening for The Monkees?!?!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Any more mind-boggling than Jimi Hendrix opening for The Monkees?!?!
    Didn't say it was the most mind-boggling. Just mind-boggling.

I once saw the Eagles open for the Mahavishnu Orchestra at Duke. That's also mind-boggling.

Of course, I can't rule out the possibility that my mind has been over-boggled.