Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I bought (and painstakingly assembled) a quality elliptical from Sole. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a gym membership.

My wife and I started reading books together in the evening; I read aloud and she follows along in her own Kindle (she is dyslexic, so has trouble reading aloud). This has been a delightful thing to do together and we have made our way through several really good books. I plan to continue this as long as she is interested and willing.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    What have you begun doing this past year that you hope to continue doing post-pandemic? And conversely, what have you begun doing that you hope to cease post-pandemic?

What have you stopped doing this past year that you hope to continue not doing post-pandemic? And what you have stopped doing that you hope to resume?
    Great topic/s, Mike.

Begun doing/continue: working less hours

Begun doing/cease: being a homebody

Stopped (well, more like reduced)/not continue: snacking

Stopped/resume: traveling, ballroom dancing and reading

A bit of 'splaining: Heading toward retirement, I'm delighted to be working about half the hours/week that I did most of my career. I do need an additional "hobby" as they'll be extra time during the days/weeks once my current contract expires. Resuming traveling, dancing and reading will help occupy those hours but I've already been "warned."

I dropped 5 pounds from my 2019 wellness exam when I weighed in at my 2020 wellness exam in May this year. I've dropped another 5 pounds since May and weigh about what I did when I finished medical school several centuries ago while I was running 20-25 miles/week and regularly training for 10K races. The 2 keys to this were reducing snacking (beer consumption has remained umm, consistent ) and adding 15-30 minutes to our nightly (exercise and "marital enrichment") walks as our weekly (often more) dancing events/parties/socials have disappeared. In 2021, I should add some strength training to my aerobic activities.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great topic/s, Mike.

Begun doing/continue: working less hours

Begun doing/cease: being a homebody

Stopped (well, more like reduced)/not continue: snacking

Stopped/resume: traveling, ballroom dancing and reading

A bit of 'splaining: Heading toward retirement, I'm delighted to be working about half the hours/week that I did most of my career. I do need an additional "hobby" as they'll be extra time during the days/weeks once my current contract expires. Resuming traveling, dancing and reading will help occupy those hours but I've already been "warned."

I dropped 5 pounds from my 2019 wellness exam when I weighed in at my 2020 wellness exam in May this year. I've dropped another 5 pounds since May and weigh about what I did when I finished medical school several centuries ago while I was running 20-25 miles/week and regularly training for 10K races. The 2 keys to this were reducing snacking (beer consumption has remained umm, consistent ) and adding 15-30 minutes to our nightly (exercise and "marital enrichment") walks as our weekly (often more) dancing events/parties/socials have disappeared. In 2021, I should add some strength training to my aerobic activities.
    Yep. Strength training is really important for maintaining bone mass, which becomes more important the older one becomes. Balance activities are also a good idea.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I hate all of you, who are all like “Oh yes, I’ve lost so much weight and gotten in such good shape during this!”

Seriously, screw you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I hate all of you, who are all like “Oh yes, I’ve lost so much weight and gotten in such good shape during this!”

+1 Will be working on this

Looking forward to travel again
    Continue - spending time with my sisters (helps that on moved closer during the pandemic)

Stop - being the only person at church on a Sunday morning

I think the "lose weight" crowd don't have young children. It was funny back in April all the young/single people in my company were like "I have so much time now! What do I do with it all?!" Everyone with young children were like "WTF are you talking about?"

The biggest positive thing for me has been not having to travel for work and spending a lot more time with kids. No commute time, reduced daycare hours (with it being closed completely for months earlier this year). I hope that the consulting model has been blown up largely by this -- although I do miss travel/seeing places in general.

I hope to be able to participate in tennis drills again. Tennis classes are not allowed in my state (and here I thought tennis was "low risk...") although private lessons are but don't want those and don't have time for it right now. And too cold to play outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

We had it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac
    In 2021, I should add some strength training to my aerobic activities.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep. Strength training is really important for maintaining bone mass, which becomes more important the older one becomes.
    Don’t fall for it... it’s just a ploy for larger/heavier beer bottles and cans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I think the "lose weight" crowd don't have young children. It was funny back in April all the young/single people in my company were like "I have so much time now! What do I do with it all?!" Everyone with young children were like "WTF are you talking about?" ;)

The biggest positive thing for me has been not having to travel for work and spending a lot more time with kids. No commute time, reduced daycare hours (with it being closed completely for months earlier this year). I hope that the consulting model has been blown up largely by this -- although I do miss travel/seeing places in general.

I hope to be able to participate in tennis drills again. Tennis classes are not allowed in my state (and here I thought tennis was "low risk...") although private lessons are but don't want those and don't have time for it right now. And too cold to play outside.
    I hear you! Our son came on the front end of the pandemic and just as the pandemic set in we were sticking our heads out of our paternity leave turtle shells...so we went right back in. It wasn't too bad while our son was in the swing but now that he's walking and getting into trouble, it's a juggle. My wife is the development lead for a small/medium-sized non-profit so she is on the phone a lot with donors and events they had to convert to a virtual format. I made a huge change from a large corporation where I was travelling all the time to a much more work-life balance oriented job prior to our son's birth so thank goodness for that, otherwise I think we'd really be in the lurch.

All in all, we feel very fortunate because we've been there every step of the way for our son's first year but it is also Groundhog Day and has been exhausting.

The pandemic has made it very easy for me to tell everyone about all the exercise I get, the weight I've lost, the nature I've enjoyed, while in fact I routinely eat giant plates of chocolate donuts and rarely leave the house, and have no idea where the bathroom scale is.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The pandemic has made it very easy for me to tell everyone about all the exercise I get, the weight I've lost, the nature I've enjoyed, while in fact I routinely eat giant plates of chocolate donuts and rarely leave the house, and have no idea where the bathroom scale is.
    No worries... just keep the cameras off and the BS flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    giant plates of chocolate donuts
    Breakfast of Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Breakfast of Champions!
    Did Barkley ever win a championship ring?

I learned the chocolate donut regimen from John Belushi and his Bruce Jenner skit, crediting his decathlon success to little chocolate donuts. It's as true now as it was then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Did Barkley ever win a championship ring?
    Shaq says hello!

Shaq says hello!
    Good point! Clearly, I prefer telling easy Chuck jokes.

Breakfast of Champions!
    Is that you, John Belushi?

ETA — I see Budwom beat me to it!

Good point! Clearly, I prefer telling easy Chuck jokes.
    He's not a small target. But I have to admit to having a bit of a liking for him. I was living in Phoenix in '93 when the Suns made it to the Finals, losing 4-2 to the Bulls. (The Suns also had Oliver Miller on that team, I'd hate to be a chocolate donut with pair around.)

Haven’t been keeping track of any weight loss, but I have taken up running. Closing in on running my first half-marathon. Ultimate goal is to run the 2022 NYC Marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Very sorry to hear that, hopefully the process and separation are reasonably amicable and you guys are able to have a decent relationship on the other side. All the best!

DBR is nice a diversion but lord knows life continues to muddle and stumble along for everyone, often in ways we'd prefer it not to lurch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this, and also sorry to say you aren't the only one. I've got several close friends who are navigating separation right now.

I wish you the best.
    I’m very sorry to hear you’re going through this very difficult event, especially during the holidays and Covid!

Finance is my game and I’d love to try and help with any financial questions you may have now or in the future.

I hope 2021 brings you much happiness and joy, as you pursue the next stage of your life’s journey!
    Thank you all for your well wishes, including those over private message.

My new apartment building has a small gym (with strict rules regarding wearing masks, # of people, use of sanitizers, etc.) and I've taken to fierce, 1.5 hour aerobic and weight workouts 5-6 days per week as a means of stress relief and just getting out since I'm alone and working from home. I'm probably in the best (physical) shape I've been in in 20+ years so silver linings...
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016