Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pandemic Lessons

What have you begun doing this past year that you hope to continue doing post-pandemic? And conversely, what have you begun doing that you hope to cease post-pandemic?

What have you stopped doing this past year that you hope to continue not doing post-pandemic? And what you have stopped doing that you hope to resume?

I took up biking in a big way, like 60+ miles per week. I have lost 30+ pounds and feel great. I plan to continue forever.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I walk an hour a day.* The roads around my home have a pleasant rolling terrain. Before I got my new knees late in 2019 that wouldn't have worked.

*During my walks I don't listen to anything coming from an electronic speaker; that would just make it harder to hear the voices in my head.**

**Remember days gone by, you would see someone walking and talking to no one and think they had a psychiatric problem. Now you assume it's Bluetooth.

Changed LOTS of diapers!

Life under the couch isn't that bad, and as Homer Simpson has found, you come up with the occasional piece of tasty pizza

Not traveling every week for business. And I love it. I hope to travel for business only minimally (very, very minimally) going forward.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I have picked tennis back up (lost my Tuesday night old man basketball run). Started getting up early and grinding out 2 hour walks everyday. Dropped about 30 lbs. I have also tried to expand my culinary skills by branching out to make some new things.

Turned the garage into a gym slash golf practice net area. Didn’t expect all that when I started my organization project, but it’s made working out great. Count me in with the ‘lost 30’ crowd.

Stop doing? I stopped going to concerts, but I’m missing that!

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Turned the garage into a gym slash golf practice net area. Didn’t expect all that when I started my organization project, but it’s made working out great. Count me in with the ‘lost 30’ crowd.

Stop doing? I stopped going to concerts, but I’m missing that!
    And you took over an island country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Not traveling every week for business. And I love it. I hope to travel for business only minimally (very, very minimally) going forward.
    +1 on this. And +1 on missing live events (concerts, theater, sports).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I'll go with Camion - walking about an hour and a half each morning (4+ miles) along a beautiful rail trail part way up the Palisades. Fascinating to follow the changes in the woods and the Hudson River from last Winter through the pastel green of Spring into a harsher green in Summer and then the Fall colors and back to Winter - And am 30 pounds lighter than a year ago, to within 10 pounds of my weight when I was at Duke 50 years ago.
    Last edited by Tappan Zee Devil; 12-22-2020 at 10:26 PM. Reason: can't spell

A delight to come back and read these responses. Thanks all.

For me/us: In addition to also changing a lot of diapers this year, which will of course stop in the not-too-distant future, I'm going to far fewer events for work, and far fewer networking coffees. This has put a lot more time in my day to get work done at the macro level, and that's made me a better employee, and better spouse.

We're also talking one long walk every evening, delineating between the end of the work-from-home day and the evening. It's been wonderful--I look forward to nothing else more.

As for what I've stopped: I have found it very difficult to read anything other than for work, or the news, and I am accordingly starved for literature and history. I can't quite bring myself to focus, or to forgive myself for not working, in this crazy year.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...I have lost 30+ pounds...
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    ...Dropped about 30 lbs..
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    ...Count me in with the ‘lost 30’ crowd...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    ... am 30 pounds lighter than a year ago...
    MEN!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    MEN!
    If it helps I am short, bald and have a big nose. And I didn't lose nose weight. My jowls just shrank back from it. I do look good in a mask though. I have decent eyes. For people with pretty eyes and an ugly face this is a great time to be alive.

Habits picked up that I plan to continue: I've tried to be more aware of friends and family who live by themselves, so I spend much more time on the phone and writing letters. Gotten rid of almost all scheduled activities for my kids - will spend more time at the pool with them as life returns to normal.

Things I plan to stop: We will be getting rid of all streaming services - too much tv in the last 10 months. We will also retire the kids' ipads once they aren't needed for school.

Looking forward to returning: to HIIT workouts at the gym, having an occasional night out with my spouse, seeing friends and relatives again, trying to rebuild friendships that were just starting this time last year, going into the office to work

Debated posting this, but what the hell. We're a family of sorts.

My wife and I recently separated after 20+ years of marriage, but admittedly the problems started well before the pandemic. I'm looking forward to my future life, but first have to get through apartment living in what is sure to be a long, lonely winter in the northeast. I have a good support system and recognize I'm at the beginning of a long, expensive, painful process. I welcome any PM advice, comfort, etc. from those who've been through it.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

My wife and I recently separated after 20+ years of marriage, but admittedly the problems started well before the pandemic. I'm looking forward to my future life, but first have to get through apartment living in what is sure to be a long, lonely winter in the northeast. I have a good support system and recognize I'm at the beginning of a long, expensive, painful process. I welcome any PM advice, comfort, etc. from those who've been through it.
    Very sorry to hear that, hopefully the process and separation are reasonably amicable and you guys are able to have a decent relationship on the other side. All the best!

DBR is nice a diversion but lord knows life continues to muddle and stumble along for everyone, often in ways we'd prefer it not to lurch.

I'm sorry to hear this, and also sorry to say you aren't the only one. I've got several close friends who are navigating separation right now.

I wish you the best.

I’m very sorry to hear you’re going through this very difficult event, especially during the holidays and Covid!

Finance is my game and I’d love to try and help with any financial questions you may have now or in the future.

I hope 2021 brings you much happiness and joy, as you pursue the next stage of your life’s journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I've got several close friends who are navigating separation right now.
    I suspect this is one of Covid’s many side effects.