Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Other People's College Basketball - the Plagued Year

The fallout at UK continues:
    On Monday, the sky kept falling around Kentucky men's basketball when coach John Calipari announced that he has asked freshman Cam'Ron Fletcher to "step away" from the team after the four-star recruit was visibly upset toward the end of the team's Saturday loss to North Carolina.
    Calipari: "We have asked Cam Fletcher to take some time and step away from the team. He needs to reflect and do some soul searching to get his priorities in order. Any attitude or actions that are detrimental to this team will not be tolerated - and that goes for everyone on the team."

(Do we really not have an "other people's CBB" thread up and running?)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The fallout at UK continues:

Calipari: "We have asked Cam Fletcher to take some time and step away from the team. He needs to reflect and do some soul searching to get his priorities in order. Any attitude or actions that are detrimental to this team will not be tolerated - and that goes for everyone on the team."

(Do we really not have an "other people's CBB" thread up and running?)

-jk
    While I don't want to give him the benefit of the doubt in dealing with players, from what I've seen, this looks like the kind of guy who, were he at duke for whatever reason, would find himself being nudged towards transferring after a year riding the pine.

That said, calipari not being able to get guys to execute much of any plan does not surprise me.
    1200. DDMF.

Coaching by press release, very Cal. Of course it was likely much louder in his office after the game but that's a committee crafted comment. Sometimes we chafe at K's hockey-like secrecy but there's a reason to teach a kid a lesson with as much privacy as can be mustered.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Coaching by press release, very Cal. Of course it was likely much louder in his office after the game but that's a committee crafted comment. Sometimes we chafe at K's hockey-like secrecy but there's a reason to teach a kid a lesson with as much privacy as can be mustered.
    This is a de facto dismissal from the team, imo. Cal was sending a signal to all the other programs that had recruited Fletcher that he's now back on the market. You're allowed to reach out to him -- through back channels, for sure, but probably even directly. I'd definitely be at least slightly surprised if Fletcher returns to UK after this break.

So, in comparing Cal vs K here, I prefer K's dismissal of Sulaimon because:
    (1) He was direct about it, and
    (2) Coach was much more patient with Rasheed, who was not dismissed until he was a junior. (Surely Rasheed didn't just start displaying detrimental behavior his junior year).

I read in one of the front page articles that Cal gives gives his 5 star recruits minutes regardless of how they're playing but he's quick to sit a non-OAD player if they miss a shot. It seems all is not well in Big Blue Country and if they lose their next game in Louisville things could really get dicey. I'm glad Coach K doesn't throw his players under the bus like Cal and Old Roy.

GoDuke!

entertainment abounds from bourbon country UK board has a multitude of suggestions...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    entertainment abounds from bourbon country UK board has a multitude of suggestions...

Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-22-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Tarheels: No preseason top 20 team can look as bad as we did last year!

Wildcats: Hold my beer . . .

Chris Collins and NW beat #23 Ohio State. They are 3-0 in the BIG.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Chris Collins and NW beat #23 Ohio State. They are 3-0 in the BIG.
    Northwestern's only loss on the season... to Pittsburgh. Collins versus Capel. Duke on Duke crime.

Amazingly, despite being 3-0 in the vaunted Big Ten, NW is only #52 in Pomeroy. KenPom projects that Northwestern will lose their next 15 games in a row (well, the beter way to say it is that Pomeroy has NW as an underdog in their next 15 in a row).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Tarheels: No preseason top 20 team can look as bad as we did last year!

Wildcats: Hold my beer . . .
    Countdown to Calipari becoming the next coach of the Knicks...

It is entirely possible Cal is going to have one of the worst classes he has ever brought in next year. Right now, he only has one likely Mickie Dee in PF Daimion Collins (his other two signees are both just outside the top 30, good prospects but not day one difference-makers). He is very much in it for a pair of top 10 wings in Jaden Hardy and Hunter Sallis, but it is not a sure-thing that either of them come to UK. If he thinks he isn't going to get those kids, it would be additional incentive for Cal to run to the NBA.

Of course, with the team having just hired Tibs, a guy with a great rep around the league, it makes it tough for Cal to move in. But, Leon Rose and World Wide Wes would probably love to get Cal involved in their franchise.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Asterisk on Gonzaga

What a ludicrous suggestion (if it even happens months from now). Everyone is playing under the same conditions. What is their competitive advantage?

It's almost as bad as golfers whining about the setup at the U.S. Open. Everyone is playing the same course. Shut up and hit the little white ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    What a ludicrous suggestion (if it even happens months from now). Everyone is playing under the same conditions. What is their competitive advantage?

It's almost as bad as golfers whining about the setup at the U.S. Open. Everyone is playing the same course. Shut up and hit the little white ball.
    I was PM'ed a 'What?', this was in reference to the front page article.

Asterisk on Gonzaga

I was PM'ed a 'What?', this was in reference to the front page article.
    I checked the front page after your context-free first post, then checked it again after your link-free second post. No luck. Finally, on a third attempt, I found this article after noticing that Gonzaga was the 15th word in the headline. Please include a link next time, especially when you think the article is important enough to start a thread about it.

I agree with your general point, and would add that asterisks in sports are pretty stupid. If the cheating Patriots and Tarheels are allowed to keep their championships, anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I checked the front page after your context-free first post, then checked it again after your link-free second post. No luck. Finally, on a third attempt, I found this article after noticing that Gonzaga was the 15th word in the headline. Please include a link next time, especially when you think the article is important enough to start a thread about it.

I agree with your general point, and would add that asterisks in sports are pretty stupid. If the cheating Patriots and Tarheels are allowed to keep their championships, anything goes.
    You had to read 15 words? Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

The struggle wasn't reading the headline "ACC Roundup - Louisville Beats Kentucky, But Ugly And Ugly Doesn’t Begin To Describe What Gonzaga Did To Virginia," but in trying to make sense of your point. Now I realize that understanding you by retracing your steps is not worth the effort.

Apology accepted.

Not everyone reads the front page, despite undoubtedly quality content. It would be a courtesy to provide the context or link.
    1200. DDMF.

I agree DUDog84. In something remotely comparable, Washington got some scathing comments because their first two Super Bowls, in the 1982 and 1987 seasons, came at the end of strike-shortened schedules. Duh -- 32 teams competed; those with the best records went to the playoffs; Washington won -- the other 31 did not. What's the issue?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I agree DUDog84. In something remotely comparable, Washington got some scathing comments because their first two Super Bowls, in the 1982 and 1987 seasons, came at the end of strike-shortened schedules. Duh -- 32 teams competed; those with the best records went to the playoffs; Washington won -- the other 31 did not. What's the issue?
    I was thinking of this as well recently. Two of the last three Dodger World Series wins (‘81 and ‘20) were in shortened seasons. They still count. (But they (a player knowingly) cheated in ‘88 for their other one, although Jay Howell didn’t really make a difference.)

(Actually, 30 teams for the NFL in those two seasons, BTW. The Texans and new Browns weren’t in the league at the time.)