Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 185
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Losing Dinwiddie looks like it’s going to be a huge deal for the Nets. They barely hold on and beat the Hawks at home after losing their two previous games. Spencer was a key player for them, and I now believe they’ve gone from being favorites in the East to being no better than a 3 or 4 seed.
    Well, seeding isn't going to have as strong a relationship to team quality as it usually does, i.e. the Nets could be a 3 or 4 seed *and* the favorites in the East (depending on trades, health, their improvement on defense, etc.)

    The Nets' second loss was at home to Memphis in a game where they rested both Kyrie and Durant for load-management purposes. That tells you how much they care about the 1 seed.

    Dinwiddie is a good player and his injury is definitely a blow to the team, but his being out wasn't responsible for the recent losses, and I don't think he's the difference between a 1 seed and a 4 seed. Load-management of Durant and Kyrie might be, though.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hawks lead the Nets 68-67 at the half. Game being played in Brooklyn and this is a great test of whether the early season success for the Hawks is an illusion or the real thing.

    Trae has 16 points and 5 assists at the half. Kyrie has been a disaster, 1-10 from the field for 4 points and only 2 assists.
    Not so fast...

    NEW YORK -- — Kyrie Irving shook off three rough quarters to score 17 of his 25 points in the fourth, Kevin Durant had 33 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists, and the Brooklyn Nets handed the Atlanta Hawks their first loss with a 145-141 victory on Wednesday night.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hawks lead the Nets 68-67 at the half. Game being played in Brooklyn and this is a great test of whether the early season success for the Hawks is an illusion or the real thing.
    Nets-Hawks rematch tonight Jason, COYS, etc!

    Usually I'm stuffing myself and watching football on Jan 1st, but I might have to carve out some time to watch this rematch.

    We'll see if they play another game in the 140s.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Nets-Hawks rematch tonight Jason, COYS, etc!

    Usually I'm stuffing myself and watching football on Jan 1st, but I might have to carve out some time to watch this rematch.

    We'll see if they play another game in the 140s.
    This is the first time in many years when watching college football games on January 1 will be really interesting...in recent years the games have been largely of the meh variety.

  5. #125
    I just checked out KD's stats, and there's no apparent drop-off in his effectiveness post-injury, in fact he might be playing at roughly vintage KD productivity. I thought he would have perhaps be good, but less effective, which is what is typical post-Achilles injuries. He's setting a new standard for play after such a gruesome injury.
    I haven't seen any games, so, does he look the same as vintage KD?

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I just checked out KD's stats, and there's no apparent drop-off in his effectiveness post-injury, in fact he might be playing at roughly vintage KD productivity. I thought he would have perhaps be good, but less effective, which is what is typical post-Achilles injuries. He's setting a new standard for play after such a gruesome injury.
    I haven't seen any games, so, does he look the same as vintage KD?
    Well they just lost their 4th straight after looking like world beaters to start the season.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Well they just lost their 4th straight after looking like world beaters to start the season.
    4 out of 5, but still. And folk here dismissed my comment about how critical the loss of Spencer Dinwiddie would be.

  8. #128
    And now Durant will be absent from the Nets for the next four games due to being in contact with a COVID positive individual.

  9. #129
    Time to add Trey Young's jump backwards into defenders as one of the most obnoxious ways players fool refs into calling fouls that doesn't make for interesting basketball.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada (Ohio born and raised)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Time to add Trey Young's jump backwards into defenders as one of the most obnoxious ways players fool refs into calling fouls that doesn't make for interesting basketball.
    Yeah what a bunch of crap that is. And he has the nerve to call out Grayson Allen? A joke.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Time to add Trey Young's jump backwards into defenders as one of the most obnoxious ways players fool refs into calling fouls that doesn't make for interesting basketball.
    I like the NBA, but the way they reward certain players for flailing, jumping into defenders, and otherwise acting instead of playing basketball can be annoying. I agree that it’s getting pretty bad with Trae, though there’s only one Harden. Too bad Kyrie doesn’t start every game with basically 15 guaranteed free throw attempts. That will help your advanced efficiency numbers.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I like the NBA, but the way they reward certain players for flailing, jumping into defenders, and otherwise acting instead of playing basketball can be annoying.
    For reference please see Harden, James.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Time to add Trey Young's jump backwards into defenders as one of the most obnoxious ways players fool refs into calling fouls that doesn't make for interesting basketball.
    Love that Austin Rivers battled him in the 4th and managed to draw a key charge against him down the stretch. Austin also hit a huge 3 for the second game in a row and has made a huge impact off the bench since coming back from an injury the past few games. He was a great free agent signing for the Knicks. RJ also with a big game in a big W over Atlanta.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Time to add Trey Young's jump backwards into defenders as one of the most obnoxious ways players fool refs into calling fouls that doesn't make for interesting basketball.
    I think this is what you’re talking about; it’s a cheap and gimmicky way to play basketball.

    https://sports.yahoo.com/trae-young-...180036163.html

  15. #135
    The Pelicans blow a big lead late (including up six with 20 seconds left) and lose to the Pacers by two in OT.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    The Pelicans blow a big lead late (including up six with 20 seconds left) and lose to the Pacers by two in OT.
    Geez, that’s awful. Were you watching? Down the stretch did they try to get the ball to Zion where he could drive to the basket and at least force a defender to foul him even if he wasn’t able to make the shot?

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I think this is what you’re talking about; it’s a cheap and gimmicky way to play basketball.

    https://sports.yahoo.com/trae-young-...180036163.html
    Cheap and gimmicky only works sometimes in basketball, which is one of the reasons I love the sport. To win at the highest level, you need to win without gimmicks.

  18. #138

    Pels need to improve their defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Geez, that’s awful. Were you watching? Down the stretch did they try to get the ball to Zion where he could drive to the basket and at least force a defender to foul him even if he wasn’t able to make the shot?
    Steven43, I agree with you, as did one of the announcers, who said that a task of Van Gundy has to be figuring out how to create more space for Zion to do his thing toward the basket. Zion is Hardenesque in driving to the basket and he will likely get more 50-50 calls as his reputation grows.

    That said, I was disappointed to see that Zion did not double down on the shooter at the end of OT. That was Job #1. As the shot was launched he took a step toward the shooter and basket, but it was of course too late. He didn't switch quickly enough from guarding his guy who was on the wing waiting for a potential pass for a 3. Fundamental basketball at that point is to make sure that the guy with the ball does not have a non-contested shot.

    The Pelican's #1 need is to improve their defense as BI [Ingram] confirmed in the post-game presser. The Pelicans are fun to watch and I think they will improve their D.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Cheap and gimmicky only works sometimes in basketball, which is one of the reasons I love the sport. To win at the highest level, you need to win without gimmicks.
    Not a fan of Trae’s approach. And the thing is, he doesn’t need to do it. He’s too good for that kind of crap. Which is, I think, what makes it even more annoying.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  20. #140
    Just imagine if he did that to Grayson in a game... pulling Grayson into a foul...

Similar Threads

  1. 2019-2020 NBA Regular Season Thread
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 406
    Last Post: 09-16-2020, 04:57 PM
  2. 2020 Off season transfer thread
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 286
    Last Post: 07-21-2020, 03:04 PM
  3. NBA Regular season thread 2019
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 418
    Last Post: 03-12-2019, 09:07 PM
  4. GT to play a regular-season game in China next season
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2016, 01:03 PM
  5. ACC Regular Season Title Thread
    By uh_no in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •