Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The concern I have with Luke is keeping him on the floor during a seven game series against a powerful offense. Elite NBA teams are ruthless at exploiting a weakness in their opponent’s armor during the playoffs. I have not watched Kennard much in the NBA, so I don’t know if he has made the same jump in D that JJ did, but if he hasn’t, Katy bar the door.
    I watched a good portion of the Lakers-Clippers game last night. When Luke was on the floor, his teammates acted like he was the Invisible Man -- they never passed him the ball. A little contract envy out there, maybe?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Look, I know Luka for Trae was a nightmare trade and will never, ever, ever be justified. MVPs don't grow on trees and the Hawks traded one. I don't care how good Trae may be...

Buuuuuuutttttt... Trae is really fun to watch. Tonight he scored 37 points in just 26 minutes. The Hawks sat him the entire 4th quarter because they were beating the Bulls by like infinity or something like that. He scored 37 points on just 12 shots, hitting 10 of 12 including 5-6 on 3s. 37 points on 12 shots... that's unheardof.

Oh, and his opposite number, Coby White, whew... not a good night. In addition to being torched by Trae all game long, Coby was a miserable 2-11 from the field. He took about the same number of shots as Trae, and scored almost 30 less points. Ouch.

For a Dukie connection, Cam Reddish got the start and was the Hawks second leading scorer with 15 points. He had some moments in the first half where he looked like a budding NBA star.

-Jason "the Hawks scored 83 points... in the first half. This may be a fun team to follow this season" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The first game showed why LaMelo ROY picks would be riskier than the usual rookie on a struggling team narrative. Neither Terry Rozier nor Devonte Graham plans on giving up their spot in the starting lineup anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, realistically, the Warriors are playing to get into the play-in tournament for the playoffs. Note: for those that don't keep up with NBA news, this season, the 7 to 10 seeds in each conference will play a play-in tournament to decide who the 7th and 8th teams in the playoffs will be.

FYI, for those hoping to see Zion and Brandon in the playoffs, if Golden St sucks this year, that's less competition for the play-in tournament.

For those wondering if the Pels or GSW can make the playoffs without the play-in tournament, it just seems the top 6 seeds will belong to six of these seven teams: Clippers, Lakers, Mavs, Jazz, Nuggets, Blazers, Suns. Those teams are just a notch above.
    I was thinking that the Suns should not be elevated to that level just yet, but they are playing like they want to be tonight. They did have an incredible bubble and made some pretty nifty moves.

It might just be the longtime Warriors fan speaking, but any optimism I had about the season evaporated with Klay's injury. The only hope that they would have had would have been mortgaging the future for some kind of trade taking on insane salaries.

4. Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Look, I know Luka for Trae was a nightmare trade and will never, ever, ever be justified. MVPs don't grow on trees and the Hawks traded one. I don't care how good Trae may be...

Buuuuuuutttttt... Trae is really fun to watch. Tonight he scored 37 points in just 26 minutes. The Hawks sat him the entire 4th quarter because they were beating the Bulls by like infinity or something like that. He scored 37 points on just 12 shots, hitting 10 of 12 including 5-6 on 3s. 37 points on 12 shots... that's unheardof.

Oh, and his opposite number, Coby White, whew... not a good night. In addition to being torched by Trae all game long, Coby was a miserable 2-11 from the field. He took about the same number of shots as Trae, and scored almost 30 less points. Ouch.

For a Dukie connection, Cam Reddish got the start and was the Hawks second leading scorer with 15 points. He had some moments in the first half where he looked like a budding NBA star.

-Jason "the Hawks scored 83 points... in the first half. This may be a fun team to follow this season" Evans
    Picked up Coby White for my fantasy...blech...but this kid is going to do well. He's an exciting player and if the Bulls ever get out of mediocrity, he'll be the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    What did people think about the Nets? I was impressed (a bold statement, I know, given that they won by 25). They've got three elite bucket-getters (Kyrie, Durant, and Lavert), some excellent shooters (especially Joe Harris), and some good defensive pieces. It's a long season, but they're my current prediction to win the East. On the downside, DeAndre Jordan looks like he's cooked...which is too bad.
    I'd still like to see a larger sample of games to see where the defense is at. It performed well in Game 1, but I think frankly that was just as much about GSW ineptitude.

As I mentioned above, Brooklyn is the team I'm rooting for to come out of the East, but I can't fully believe in it unless they have a defense that's in the 10 to 15 range. That offense, as mentioned, is going to be top-3 and possibly #1.

I also have no qualms with the coaching. For those that don't know, Steve Nash's lead assistant is his former head coach Mike D'Antoni. I have a feeling I know which one of those two is more responsible for designing the beautiful Nets offense we saw in Game 1. Not that Nash doesn't have a bright basketball mind -- he does -- but this is obviously his first head coaching job. He's really playing more of a CEO role for this team, someone who is good with emotional intelligence and can get the best out of Durant and Kyrie. This type of setup is going to pop up more and more for star-laden teams. You need the young, high EQ guy like Nash to interface with the stars; D'Antoni is going to produce a great offense, but can you imagine an old-school coach like him dealing with the various antics of KD and Kyrie?

It takes a lot to knock off LeBron James in the playoffs. If the Lakers are healthy and peaking, I don’t think the Celtics can get over that mountain.

How about this: if the Lakers and Clippers do meet, shall we wager a pie on the outcome?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Definitely!!
    Deal! It will be fun to watch if it happens.
    Might I suggest a slight modification that will make it something fun to root for throughout the season instead of just waiting for a hypothetical matchup to take place in the playoffs.

Lakers represent the West in the Finals -- cato wins pie. Clippers represent the West in the Finals -- Steven43 wins pie. If neither win the West -- push.

The concern I have with Luke is keeping him on the floor during a seven game series against a powerful offense. Elite NBA teams are ruthless at exploiting a weakness in their opponent’s armor during the playoffs. I have not watched Kennard much in the NBA, so I don’t know if he has made the same jump in D that JJ did, but if he hasn’t, Katy bar the door.
    No doubt, but I feel like Luke does have a role to play when the opposing team's stars sit late 1Q/3Q or early 2Q/4Q. He can help the Clippers' bench unit win those minutes (which will be fewer in the playoffs than in the regular season because stars play more minutes in the postseason.)

As I mentioned above, Brooklyn is the team I'm rooting for to come out of the East, but I can't fully believe in it unless they have a defense that's in the 10 to 15 range. That offense, as mentioned, is going to be top-3 and possibly #1.

I also have no qualms with the coaching. For those that don't know, Steve Nash's lead assistant is his former head coach Mike D'Antoni. I have a feeling I know which one of those two is more responsible for designing the beautiful Nets offense we saw in Game 1. Not that Nash doesn't have a bright basketball mind -- he does -- but this is obviously his first head coaching job. He's really playing more of a CEO role for this team, someone who is good with emotional intelligence and can get the best out of Durant and Kyrie. This type of setup is going to pop up more and more for star-laden teams. You need the young, high EQ guy like Nash to interface with the stars; D'Antoni is going to produce a great offense, but can you imagine an old-school coach like him dealing with the various antics of KD and Kyrie?
    The Nets have three guys on the coach who have been head coaches. It’s all fine if they keeping winning but if things turn I wouldn’t be shocked if tribes start to form.

Might I suggest a slight modification that will make it something fun to root for throughout the season instead of just waiting for a hypothetical matchup to take place in the playoffs.

Lakers represent the West in the Finals -- cato wins pie. Clippers represent the West in the Finals -- Steven43 wins pie. If neither win the West -- push.
    I’ll have to think about that one. And if I do decide to take your suggestion cato might not want to go along with it.

If I were the Clippers I wouldn’t be too concerned with finishing #1 in the Western Conference. Even if they did the Lakers would still have a home-court advantage.

Anyway, it’s going to be one heck of a season with no shortage of interesting storylines. I’m pretty psyched about it.

I’ll have to think about that one. And if I do decide to take your suggestion cato might not want to go along with it.

If I were the Clippers I wouldn’t be too concerned with finishing #1 in the Western Conference. Even if they did the Lakers would still have a home-court advantage.

Anyway, it’s going to be one heck of a season with no shortage of interesting storylines. I’m pretty psyched about it.
    I’m good with what we’ve got. I’m not really into gambling, even if only for pies, but this is a nice way to remember a random pre-season conversation if the Clips and Lakers meet in the playoffs.

I’m good with what we’ve got. I’m not really into gambling, even if only for pies, but this is a nice way to remember a random pre-season conversation if the Clips and Lakers meet in the playoffs.
    Don’t worry, guys. Sir Charles says both of you are wrong. The Trailblazers are taking the West, and Chuck is putting up $100,000 to prove it. So your pies mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Don’t worry, guys. Sir Charles says both of you are wrong. The Trailblazers are taking the West, and Chuck is putting up $100,000 to prove it. So your pies mean nothing.
    I'll see Chuck's $100,000 with this. And my 100 grand has 30% less fat.

100Grand2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Is this guy serious? He thinks Portland is going to the Finals??

Is this guy serious? He thinks Portland is going to the Finals??
    Will have to play better than yesterday.

Nets are legit.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Nets are legit.
    Kyrie looks amazing so far.

Steph Curry making 105 threes in a row in practice is the best thing I’ve seen this year. The list of things I could do 105 times in a row without making a mistake is vanishingly small.

https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/20...rees-in-a-row/

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Steph Curry making 105 threes in a row in practice is the best thing I’ve seen this year. The list of things I could do 105 times in a row without making a mistake is vanishingly small.

I could walk 105 steps.*

*No gum chewing.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post

That is genuinely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Kyrie looks amazing so far.
    I know it’s only been a couple of games, but I don’t think Kyrie has ever looked better. His handle is so spectacular that it looks like he’s got the ball on a string; he is completely unguardable.

I know it’s only been a couple of games, but I don’t think Kyrie has ever looked better. His handle is so spectacular that it looks like he’s got the ball on a string; he is completely unguardable.
    He looks a video game on easy mode.