Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Wiggins can’t shoot. That’s his major problem, and has been since he set foot on a basketball court at his local rec league when he was 8 years old. It didn’t get better in high school, it didn’t get better at LSU, it’s not getting better in the NBA. He just can’t shoot.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yes, and I’m not sure why anyone in the Golden State organization expected anything different. The guy has a long NBA history of not being good at basketball, particularly in regard to making his team better. Larry Bird or LeBron James he is not.

This Golden State reboot might be in trouble. With Klay Thompson out for the year and Wiggins likely not helping much, they need Steph and Draymond to be healthy most of the regular season and all of the playoffs to have a chance to even be good, much less great.
    Yeah, realistically, the Warriors are playing to get into the play-in tournament for the playoffs. Note: for those that don't keep up with NBA news, this season, the 7 to 10 seeds in each conference will play a play-in tournament to decide who the 7th and 8th teams in the playoffs will be.

FYI, for those hoping to see Zion and Brandon in the playoffs, if Golden St sucks this year, that's less competition for the play-in tournament.

For those wondering if the Pels or GSW can make the playoffs without the play-in tournament, it just seems the top 6 seeds will belong to six of these seven teams: Clippers, Lakers, Mavs, Jazz, Nuggets, Blazers, Suns. Those teams are just a notch above.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Wiggins can’t shoot. That’s his major problem, and has been since he set foot on a basketball court at his local rec league when he was 8 years old. It didn’t get better in high school, it didn’t get better at LSU, it’s not getting better in the NBA. He just can’t shoot.
    Kansas, of course. But yes, Wiggins was once regarded as a generational talent assuming he could match his skill set with his athleticism. But he's 25 and the clock is ticking.

Or maybe you were talking about Ben Simmons, who also still can't shoot. But Simmons is an elite passer and Wiggins is not. Simmons can help a team get better. Not so sure about Wiggins.

But Wiseman looks like a keeper, especially for someone who has barely played since spring 2019.

This Golden State reboot might be in trouble. With Klay Thompson out for the year and Wiggins likely not helping much, they need Steph and Draymond to be healthy most of the regular season and all of the playoffs to have a chance to even be good, much less great.
    I'm far from convinced Dray is all that good at this point. He's 30 and his rebounds have fallen 4 years in a row and his assists have fallen 3 years in a row. He's never been much of a scorer. He seemed like he was a good 3 point shooter a few years back but he's been barely 30% on his three the past 4 seasons. And he has been badly injury prone lately.

The Warriors are also entering salary cap hell. Dray is under contract until 2024 at $25 mil per year. They are paying Wiggins 30+ mil per year until 2023. They are going to be $60 mil over the cap (and paying tens of millions in taxes) this season when they appear to be no better than a lower tier playoff team, if that. They are going to be fairly far into the tax for at least the next 3 seasons, unless they find a way to get rid of Dray or Wiggins or maybe Klay. Any you have to think that teams like Denver, Utah, Dallas, and New Orleans have better young cores that would allow them to vault into the Lakers/Clippers level better than the Warriors can.

I'm of the belief that the championship window has closed on the Warriors and it ain't close to reopening unless James Wiseman turns into the next Joel Embiid (which ain't impossible to imagine but seems unlikely for now). The novelty of bombing away from 3 that made Steph and the Warriors unbeatable and changed the way the game is played in the NBA has gone away. Plenty of teams have adopted that style. The Warriors revolutionized it, but the rest of the league has caught up and now the Warriors just ain't all that special any more.

-Jason "I still love watching Steph play... " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Lakers versus Clipper regress

Yes, addition by subtraction with Harrell. And the positives of the coaching change (Doc has lost soooo many series that he should have won over the years), and the additions of Ibaka and Luke.

Read what Troublemaker wrote.

The Clippers were already close. Their off season moves will put them over the top. And I’m not saying this as a biased Clippers fan; the Celtics are my team. But I do have to admit that I despise the Lakers. So there’s that.

I did not necessarily think that the Clippers got worse. I have just seen some "discussion by experts", which seemed to argue that the Lakers gained a lot with Harrell while the Clippers lost a lot. I was not too clear, but my point was that if you think the Clippers are going to regress (at least in the regular season) while the Lakers are not, one possible justification would be believing that the Lakers are much improved while the Clippers are not, as you are taking a stance against the history based on correlation between last year's Pythagorean record and this year's regular season record.

Outside of the statistics, I tend to lean towards Troublemaker's comment about LeBron's age as being more determinant a factor in the Laker's regressing in the regular season. Not necessarily because LeBron won't perform at a high level, but because the Laker's have less to prove in the regular season, and likely will look to manage wear and tear. LeBron already rolled his ankle a bit last night. Conversely, with the Clipper's underperforming narrative (both in the regular season a bit and significantly in the playoffs) they may have stronger motivation in the regular season. Of course, Leonard is known for "load-management" so who knows.

But I think the Pythagorean stats, and the general tendency for the top record to mean revert (eg. GS added Durant, arguably greatly improving their team, yet one less games), argues for the Lakers regressing more than the Clippers in terms of regular season record. I don't necessarily think that matters nearly as much for the playoffs, although home court could be more important this year than in the bubble, the impact may depend on if fans are able to attend en masse, which seem unlikely still to me.

What did people think about the Nets? I was impressed (a bold statement, I know, given that they won by 25). They've got three elite bucket-getters (Kyrie, Durant, and Lavert), some excellent shooters (especially Joe Harris), and some good defensive pieces. It's a long season, but they're my current prediction to win the East. On the downside, DeAndre Jordan looks like he's cooked...which is too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Kansas, of course. But yes, Wiggins was once regarded as a generational talent assuming he could match his skill set with his athleticism. But he's 25 and the clock is ticking.

Or maybe you were talking about Ben Simmons, who also still can't shoot. But Simmons is an elite passer and Wiggins is not. Simmons can help a team get better. Not so sure about Wiggins.

But Wiseman looks like a keeper, especially for someone who has barely played since spring 2019.
    You are correct, as usual. I was thinking of Simmons, who is a really good passer but a poor shooter. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

According to ESPN, the Rockets-Thunder game was postponed because too many Rockets are in the testing protocol and they can't field a team.

I'm also surprised the only televised game tonight does not involve Zion.

I second all of this. The Clippers will almost surely be better this season than they were when we last saw them lose against Denver.

I think they’ll beat the Lakers in the playoffs.
    It takes a lot to knock off LeBron James in the playoffs. If the Lakers are healthy and peaking, I don’t think the Celtics can get over that mountain.

How about this: if the Lakers and Clippers do meet, shall we wager a pie on the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You think the Clippers got better? I'd love for Luke to make me eat crow but I guess I don't see how they improved versus last year's debacle unless you're saying addition by subtraction with Harrell...
    The concern I have with Luke is keeping him on the floor during a seven game series against a powerful offense. Elite NBA teams are ruthless at exploiting a weakness in their opponent’s armor during the playoffs. I have not watched Kennard much in the NBA, so I don’t know if he has made the same jump in D that JJ did, but if he hasn’t, Katy bar the door.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    How about this: if the Lakers and Clippers do meet, shall we wager a pie on the outcome?
    Definitely!!

Definitely!!
    Deal! It will be fun to watch if it happens.

Lamelo 0 - fer, Vernon no PT.

Love the Pelicans, enough to watch the nba... Ingram 9-15, Zion 7-9, JJ 7-13. Wish Frank was still there, Okafor too...

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Zion 7-9.
    Ha, looks like Zion’s typical Duke FG stat line.

Tatum calls game

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Tatum calls game
    Giannis not clutch

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Giannis not clutch
    It’s one thing to miss but he short armed that. Total choke

It wasn't a foul.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    It’s one thing to miss but he short armed that. Total choke
    Ball don't lie.

None of the Duke rookies got off the bench tonight. The covid shorten off season will really hurt those guys