Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Luka recorded another triple double and should be tied for 12th place all time.

The Pistons have decided they want to pay Blake Griffin $73.4 million dollars over this season and next to not play basketball for them. They have bought out his contract and made him a free agent.

Someone is gonna sign him for the vet minimum and get a valuable front court reserve.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Pistons have decided they want to pay Blake Griffin $73.4 million dollars over this season and next to not play basketball for them. They have bought out his contract and made him a free agent.

Someone is gonna sign him for the vet minimum and get a valuable front court reserve.
    I get that he is no longer the player he once was and that he is owed a ton of money but this seems like a lot of money thrown down the drain. I assume that by waiving him his salary is removed from cap considerations but that's still $73M out of pocket. Do they really think that they will be able to lure a top-notch free agent to fill the void? Even if they can, that's like paying him double. I think they should have just sucked up the bottom-dwelling status for a second year and concentrated on figuring out how to get some additional picks.

How does the whole trades involving cash thing work? Could they have traded him to a contender for a draft pick and say $50M? You never hear of cash exchanges that high but seems better than paying him to play for someone else. At least you get an asset out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I get that he is no longer the player he once was and that he is owed a ton of money but this seems like a lot of money thrown down the drain. I assume that by waiving him his salary is removed from cap considerations but that's still $73M out of pocket. Do they really think that they will be able to lure a top-notch free agent to fill the void? Even if they can, that's like paying him double. I think they should have just sucked up the bottom-dwelling status for a second year and concentrated on figuring out how to get some additional picks.

How does the whole trades involving cash thing work? Could they have traded him to a contender for a draft pick and say $50M? You never hear of cash exchanges that high but seems better than paying him to play for someone else. At least you get an asset out of it.
    There are limits on how much cash a team can use to buy picks or players from other teams. This season, the annual cap is $5.617 million and teams don't tend to use all that cash in one deal. So it would not be possible to sell Blake to another team for $50 mil or more.

The reason for buying him out is generally to clear cap space for your team and also clear a roster spot. It is possible, even likely, that the Pistons reached some kind of agreement with Blake to pay him less than the $73 mil they owe him. About $37 mil of that is salary for this season, and they likely paid close to all of that. But I would not be at all surprised to hear they are paying him less than half of what they owe him for next year.

Plus, Blake wants to play and likely wants to play for a real contender. He may have given up $20 mil or so in guaranteed salary but getting to pick his team and go for a ring, something he has never gotten (he's never even made a conference finals), is likely really important to him. Blake has already earned over $200 mil in his career (and a lot more in endorsements). Forgoing $20 mil to get into a better situation for the final several years of his career is probably well worth it in his mind.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Do we have a separate general NBA thread? If I had been able to find it I would have posted there.

Anyway, the Denver Nuggets are no longer a threat to win the Western Conference (nor the NBA championship, obviously) as Jamal Murray tore an ACL last night. Devastating blow for he and his team.

I was really looking forward to seeing what the Nuggets could do in the playoffs. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Do we have a separate general NBA thread? If I had been able to find it I would have posted there.

Anyway, the Denver Nuggets are no longer a threat to win the Western Conference (nor the NBA championship, obviously) as Jamal Murray tore an ACL last night. Devastating blow for he and his team.

I was really looking forward to seeing what the Nuggets could do in the playoffs. 😞
    That's too bad. They are my favorite NBA team without a Blue Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's too bad. They are my favorite NBA team without a Blue Devil.
    Same here. I really like them and I thought they had a legitimate chance to win the title this year.

This is a sad day for fans of the NBA.

Denver had an all-star level PG (Murray), wing (Porter Jr.), and center (Jokic). Losing Murray is huge. They probably run the offense even more through Jokic now. I would not say they are dead in the water in terms of their chances but they will need someone else to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Denver had an all-star level PG (Murray), wing (Porter Jr.), and center (Jokic). Losing Murray is huge. They probably run the offense even more through Jokic now. I would not say they are dead in the water in terms of their chances but they will need someone else to step up.
    They traded the one guard who could step up (Gary Harris) to Orlando for Aaron Gordon. It was a great signing at the time because Gordon complements Michael Porter really well.

Now? Well, their backcourt is highly underwhelming...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    They traded the one guard who could step up (Gary Harris) to Orlando for Aaron Gordon. It was a great signing at the time because Gordon complements Michael Porter really well.

Now? Well, their backcourt is highly underwhelming...
    Reports are emerging that the Nuggets are in serious discussions to sign free agent Austin Rivers. He's not the caliber of player Murray has been, but for a playoff team Rivers is vastly superior to anyone else available on the buyout market.

Does that mean this discussion can get moved back to the Dukies in the NBA thread??

Great general NBA story.

ARod is part of a group that looks like they will buy the Minnesota TWolves.

Anthony Edwards is the rookie #1 pick of the TWolves.

He was asked, during a recent post-game interview, how he felt about ARod potentially being his new boss.

Edwards said he didn't know who ARod was. When told that he was a retired baseball great, he said he was never really into baseball.

ARod good naturedly found the interview on IG, quoted it and tagged Edwards and said, "Hi Anthony, I'm Alex"

Edwards' all time classic GenZ-infused reply, "what's good my guy"

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...-jokics-heels/

LaMarcus Aldridge has announced his retirement, effective immediately, due to an irregular heart rhythm.

He was a 7-time all star and 5-time All-NBA. Recently joined the Nets as a buyout veteran (along with Blake Griffin), but played just five games for them. He finishes his 15-year career just 49 points shy of 20k.
    Last edited by Truth&Justise; 04-15-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    LaMarcus Aldridge has announced his retirement, effective immediately, due to an irregular heart rhythm.

He was a 7-time all star and 5-time All-NBA. Recently joined the Nets as a buyout veteran (along with Blake Griffin), but played just five games for them. He finishes his 15-year career just 49 points shy of 20k.
    Wow - big news. Basketball Reference has him at only 50% chance of making the Hall of Fame (https://www.basketball-reference.com.../hof_prob.html). The $200MM in NBA salary should help assuage any angst. He had a heck of a career. It was a pleasure to watch JJ and the Devils bury his Longhorns at the Old Brendan Byrne Arena in early winter 2005 with Heisman Trophy finalist Vince Young in the house (and in town for the ceremony).

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Great general NBA story.

ARod is part of a group that looks like they will buy the Minnesota TWolves.

Anthony Edwards is the rookie #1 pick of the TWolves.

He was asked, during a recent post-game interview, how he felt about ARod potentially being his new boss.

Edwards said he didn't know who ARod was. When told that he was a retired baseball great, he said he was never really into baseball.

ARod good naturedly found the interview on IG, quoted it and tagged Edwards and said, "Hi Anthony, I'm Alex"

Edwards' all time classic GenZ-infused reply, "what's good my guy"

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...-jokics-heels/
    Maybe, someone needed to tell Edwards that ARod is JLo's boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Maybe, someone needed to tell Edwards that ARod WAS JLo's boyfriend.
    Corrected it for you--they've broken off their engagement and are no longer together.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Went to the Duke vs. Miami game a few years ago in Coral Gable. A Rod and J Lo were at the game. When announced, they were roundly booed by the crowd. I was surprised and kind of happy at this.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Went to the Duke vs. Miami game a few years ago in Coral Gable. A Rod and J Lo were at the game. When announced, they were roundly booed by the crowd. I was surprised and kind of happy at this.
    For the record, no one was booing JLo...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

I'm not so sure of that. Kind of a blue collar crowd for glamorous Miami.

I'm not so sure of that. Kind of a blue collar crowd for glamorous Miami.
    Miami nor Coral Gables nor Miami U strikes me as a blue collar crowd...

hansmoleman.jpg