Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    As for whether “no sane argument” is hyperbolic, I’ll leave that to others. I don’t believe it is, especially when you factor in the ages of all four players. Kyrie’s sage must have seeped thru all the walls at Nets HQ. That’s the only way the deal could appear sane, imho.
    While I hate the trade as stated above, it's not literally insane for the Nets to do it. I really, really disagree with their decision, but disagreeing with me does not make one lack sanity (usually :-). So, yes, you're being hyperbolic.

The "sane argument" the Nets would make is that the leftover pieces on the roster *are* playoff-rotation-worthy (the team was just *that* deep to begin with, in other words), and between the underrated leftovers and the buyout market, they will eventually construct a championship-level closing lineup and playoff rotation. Now, like I wrote above, I think the odds are against this happening. But it's not like it's literally impossible it could play out this way, lol.

One championship redeems the trade. I don't think Brooklyn gets one before this new Big Three breaks up, but we'll see. That's why they play the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    While I hate the trade as stated above, it's not literally insane for the Nets to do it... So, yes, you're being hyperbolic.
    That’s absolutely, positively, the craziest thing I’ve ever read in my entire life!!!

Harden had a huge debut with the Nets tonight! A 32/12/14 triple-double in a Brooklyn win. KD poured in 42 points as well.

Everybody has been tripping over each other to post how bad a deal this trade was. Time will tell.
    Brooklyn will probably win the next title just to make people stop telling them how stupid they are, lol.

5. Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Hold the phone, my friend. I was responding to another post expressing the view that keeping Lavert, Allen & Dinwiddie together was better than breaking that trio up for Harden. And Spencer still being on the team (but unavailable for the remainder of this season) doesn’t change the fact that those three will not be together going forward.
    Gotcha, my bad, took your comment out of context.

As for whether “no sane argument” is hyperbolic, I’ll leave that to others. I don’t believe it is, especially when you factor in the ages of all four players. Kyrie’s sage must have seeped thru all the walls at Nets HQ. That’s the only way the deal could appear sane, imho.
    The Nets might be in trouble 4-5 years down the line, but they have a clear 3 year championship window if you look at the ages of their current core and possibly longer.

KD: 32 years old
    Harden: 31 years old
    Kyrie: 28 years old
    Spencer: 27 years old
    Harris: 29 years old
    DeAndre: 32 years old

LeBron is 36 and still very much in championship form. KD's game has a lot less contact, so who knows, maybe he's got another 5 years of championship play in him.

That's six players comprising their current core (assuming Kyrie plays lol).

Bruce Bowen, TLC and Shamet are nice younger players that can step up to round out their rotation.

The Nets traded away their amazing depth, but there's enough there imo. They're just missing a reliable back-up big. Maybe they think Jeff Green is that guy, at least for this year?

They still have 3 empty roster spots, so let's see.

Courtside Karen

I always take Lebron's side in any dispute, but I have to say that Courtside Karen was a breath of fresh air...well, that's not quite right...a breath of overly perfumed hair...perhaps that would be better. In any case, as Steven A noted, the NBA needs more insanity like this because, after all, it is entertainment. As for Karen herself, my wife's gossip site wondered whether this was an audition for the next round of Real Housewives of Atlanta. I'm nodding my head, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    I always take Lebron's side in any dispute, but I have to say that Courtside Karen was a breath of fresh air...well, that's not quite right...a breath of overly perfumed hair...perhaps that would be better. In any case, as Steven A noted, the NBA needs more insanity like this because, after all, it is entertainment. As for Karen herself, my wife's gossip site wondered whether this was an audition for the next round of Real Housewives of Atlanta. I'm nodding my head, yes.
    To which dispute are you referring? And who the heck is Courtside Karen?

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Don’t worry about it, Will; I looked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Very exciting potential finals preview with Nets v Clippers. It was a real shootout and Kyrie was dominant down the stretch with 39. He's shooting 94% from the FT line. So much Superstar Talent on the court in the final few minutes...Durant, Kyrie, Harden, George, Kawhi...fun game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    This was an amazing game! Entertaining analysis from bballbreakdown here - https://youtu.be/1lXJEKYNBU0

Nets have some weird losses but they seem to step up against the best teams.
    Coming off the impressive win over the Clippers, the Nets have used that win to springboard into... mostly getting their butts kicked by the below-.500 Raptors through one quarter and change tonight so far. (ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Coming off the impressive win over the Clippers, the Nets have used that win to springboard into... mostly getting their butts kicked by the below-.500 Raptors through one quarter and change tonight so far. (ESPN)
    Well, Durant was out with Covid and then back from Covid and then out with Covid again... in the span of 2 hours. I mean, that can be kinda distracting.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I never lose any sleep over NBA matters, but I was a bit surprised to hear LBJ proclaim that scheduling an all star game was "a slap in the face." Really? Hey, I completely understand why players might well not want to play in an all star game given the painful nature of the season, no argument there, but a slap in the face? Just say you're too tired to participate, leave it at that. Must players seek slights, grievances, and the good old disrespect?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I never lose any sleep over NBA matters, but I was a bit surprised to hear LBJ proclaim that scheduling an all star game was "a slap in the face." Really? Hey, I completely understand why players might well not want to play in an all star game given the painful nature of the season, no argument there, but a slap in the face? Just say you're too tired to participate, leave it at that. Must players seek slights, grievances, and the good old disrespect?
    I suspect given the sacrifices for last year's bubble, the short off-season, and the absence of fans at the event, he is not alone in his feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It is possible that he, and other players, communicated to the league that they did not want an All-Star game given the short off-season, the compressed regular season, Covid craziness, and so on... but the league scheduled it anyway. In that case, I think the "slap in the face" metaphor would be more appropriate.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is possible that he, and other players, communicated to the league that they did not want an All-Star game given the short off-season, the compressed regular season, Covid craziness, and so on... but the league scheduled it anyway. In that case, I think the "slap in the face" metaphor would be more appropriate.
    The exact phrasing I've heard was that the NBA and NBAPA agreed to hold the all-star game. Now maybe the PA was really forced, and calling it "agreeing" was just window dressing, but my impression is that if they players really didn't want to hold it the NBAPA could probably have prevented it from happening.

GS vs Dallas Saturday Night

I had saved the GS vs Dallas game Saturday night and finally got around to watching it. Curry 57/2/5, Luka 42/7/11. Both teams scored 130+. It was just fun to watch. I'm a fan of both of these players and they both did a great job of driving their teams. Dallas won, despite Steph hitting 11 3's. That's not a typo, 11. Luke was great and hit a clutch 3 down the stretch that all but ended the game. I know people don't like his personality but Draymond Green's game, when he's playing well is just fun to watch. He plays D and makes great passes (he had 15 assists). If that guy could shoot...he'd be amazing (and yes, likely even more obnoxious :-) ).

It's going to be interesting to see if GS can put together another strong team next year (that assumes Klay comes back and plays like he used to). Their window might be closed since Green's play has dropped off some, Klay's been hurt twice and KD left but Steph is killing it and it would be cool to see them make another run.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I know people don't like his personality but Draymond Green's game, when he's playing well is just fun to watch. He plays D and makes great passes (he had 15 assists). If that guy could shoot...he'd be amazing (and yes, likely even more obnoxious :-) ).
    Draymond's stat line:
    2 points
    15 assists
    6 boards
    6 steals
    7 turnovers
    5 personal fouls

It's tough to pinpoint why his shooting fell off so much from the Golden State golden age of 6 years ago when he was near 40% on 3s. His foul shooting has improved over time. Maybe it's all the injuries and deep playoff runs aging him beyond his 30 years.

Draymond's stat line:
    2 points
    15 assists
    6 boards
    6 steals
    7 turnovers
    5 personal fouls

It's tough to pinpoint why his shooting fell off so much from the Golden State golden age of 6 years ago when he was near 40% on 3s. His foul shooting has improved over time. Maybe it's all the injuries and deep playoff runs aging him beyond his 30 years.
    Dray's 4 year, $100 mil extension just kicked in this season. So, they are paying him $22.2 million, $24 million, $25.8 million and $27.6 million over the next 4 seasons. Dray really needs to go back to being a legit scoring threat for Golden State to be competitive again. Amazingly, Draymond is the 4th highest paid player on that team (the Wiggins contract is just sooooo awful).

...And that is how a team can be $63 million over the cap and looking at a Luxury Tax bill of almost $140 million this season alone. Wow!

Draymond's stat line:
    2 points
    15 assists
    6 boards
    6 steals
    7 turnovers
    5 personal fouls

Draymond has never been a good shooter. He had one year when he hit 38% from 3, but it is very much an outlier, and he's a 31% 3-point shooter and just 8.8 ppg for his career, even though he never has had to take anything but wide open, let me stop and read the newspaper first 3's while playing with Curry et al. Didn't Curry hit 110 straight of those in a clip this year? I still think he's been wildly overrated, as his peers have voted him before. I think last year showed what your team will look like if Green is a primary player, in contention for the #1 overall pick. He is a good fit as a role player when playing with 3 Hall of Famers, including 2 very high level HOFers, but I don't think he'd ever have been close to an All-Star game as a feature attraction on a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Draymond has never been a good shooter. He had one year when he hit 38% from 3, but it is very much an outlier, and he's a 31% 3-point shooter and just 8.8 ppg for his career, even though he never has had to take anything but wide open, let me stop and read the newspaper first 3's while playing with Curry et al. Didn't Curry hit 110 straight of those in a clip this year? I still think he's been wildly overrated, as his peers have voted him before. I think last year showed what your team will look like if Green is a primary player, in contention for the #1 overall pick. He is a good fit as a role player when playing with 3 Hall of Famers, including 2 very high level HOFers, but I don't think he'd ever have been close to an All-Star game as a feature attraction on a team.
    His value has always been focused on the defensive side of the ball making the NBA All Defensive team nearly every year of his career, including once being named DPOY. I think his leadership is also prized as far as being a player who holds others on the team accountable, but we also know that his fire and temper can elude his control and backfire on him.

His value has always been focused on the defensive side of the ball making the NBA All Defensive team nearly every year of his career, including once being named DPOY. I think his leadership is also prized as far as being a player who holds others on the team accountable, but we also know that his fire and temper can elude his control and backfire on him.
    He's a very good defender, but I think he's somewhat overrated on that end, too. Klay was better at slowing Kyrie, and Durant was better at slowing Lebron. Green is sort of like Battier (who finished runner-up as DPOY once) but a significantly better passer, much worse shooter, and much more cray-cray. That makes him very useful on a juggernaut of a team but far from a true star capable of carrying a decent team.