Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

2020-21 NBA Regular Season Thread

As always, there will sometimes/often be overlap with the "Dukies in the NBA" thread. But, there is still a decent amount of regular season NBA discussion that doesn't squarely fit into that thread, so therefore, this thread exists.

Season tips off tomorrow with Warriors-Nets and Clippers-Lakers. Man, it feels like last season just finished.

Season predictions? (You can come up with your own categories, of course). I'll go:

East #1 seed: Celtics
    West #1 seed: Clippers

Rookie of the Year: LaMelo
    MVP: Luka

East semifinalists: Celtics vs Heat
    West semifinalists: Clippers vs Lakers

Champion: Lakers over Celtics

Note: all my predictions will, of course, be rendered moot by eventual injuries and trades (Beal, Harden, maybe others). Still fun to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    As always, there will sometimes/often be overlap with the "Dukies in the NBA" thread. But, there is still a decent amount of regular season NBA discussion that doesn't squarely fit into that thread, so therefore, this thread exists.

Season tips off tomorrow with Warriors-Nets and Clippers-Lakers. Man, it feels like last season just finished.

Season predictions? (You can come up with your own categories, of course). I'll go:

Note: all my predictions will, of course, be rendered moot by eventual injuries and trades (Beal, Harden, maybe others). Still fun to make them.
    All I’ll say at present is this: “Lord, I hope you are wrong on that Finals prediction.” I can think of nothing more cruel than to have the Lakers surpass the Celtics in all time NBA Championships by beating them in the Finals. I would gag if that took place. Sick. Sick. Sick prediction. May God have mercy on your soul for even hinting at that outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    All I’ll say at present is this: “Lord, I hope you are wrong on that Finals prediction.” I can think of nothing more cruel than to have the Lakers surpass the Celtics in all time NBA Championships by beating them in the Finals. I would gag if that took place. Sick. Sick. Sick prediction. May God have mercy on your soul for even hinting at that outcome.
    Haha, it's definitely not the Finals I'm rooting for, for sure. I was trying to be objective and stuff.

I think the Finals I'd like to see (that is still realistic) would be Kennard's Clippers vs Kyrie and the Nets. I've always enjoyed watching Luke play going back to his high school clips, and Kyrie -- well, I've always loved his game as well, even though I hate what leaves his mouth sometimes.

Explaining some of my predictions:

West #1 seed: Clippers.
    Re: the East, just a gut feeling that if EVER there was a team that's not gonna care too much about the regular season, it'd be the Bucks. I gave serious consideration to the Nets capturing the best record in the East because they are very deep (in a Covid season), but ultimately I think they're going to load-manage Kyrie and KD too much to get there. With Boston, they have two healthy young studs in Jayson and Brown that are going to be there game after game and will play big minutes if needed, which ultimately tipped my decision towards them.

Re: the West, I just see the Clippers caring more about the regular season than the Lakers. (Particularly since in a hypothetical conference finals matchup between the two, the Lakers know they'll be playing 7 home games if crowds are allowed by then.). The Clippers need to use the regular season to build the chemistry that they lacked last season.

Re: RoY, LaMelo is the best player in that draft, imo. So a straight line from that to the RoY prediction.

Re: Luka MVP. The voters will have Giannis fatigue, and as mentioned above, I don't think the Bucks will dominate the regular season like they have before. I think the Lakers are going to give Lebron plenty of rest, and he himself won't go that hard in his Age 36 season, and I think Luka's going to be a stud that carries Dallas to the 2 seed or maybe even the 1 seed over the Clippers. (Doesn't mean I'd take Dallas over LAL or LAC in a series, obviously).

Re: the East, I just think, once again, the Heat and Celtics are going to be better playoff teams than Milwaukee or Brooklyn. (If the Nets make some in-season move with all their assets to get better on defense, I'll change my mind).

Re: the West. Easily the two best teams, and the Lakers will have 7 games of homecourt advantage, as mentioned.

Yawn. So basically I should just tune out now?

Disagree on LaMelo as ROY. Way too limited on offense.

I'd say Immanuel Quickley or (and I hate to say this) Cole Anthony.

Haha, it's definitely not the Finals I'm rooting for, for sure. I was trying to be objective and stuff.

I think the Finals I'd like to see (that is still realistic) would be Kennard's Clippers vs Kyrie and the Nets. I've always enjoyed watching Luke play going back to his high school clips, and Kyrie -- well, I've always loved his game as well, even though I hate what leaves his mouth sometimes.
    Whew! Now that’s a prediction I can get on board with!

Speaking of Luke Kennard, the Clippers just signed him to a 4-year, $64 million extension. That's a nice chunk of change and belief that his scoring ability will be the perfect compliment to Kawhi Leonard and Paul George.

Luke Kennard the best Ohio High School player in LA

East: Bucks
    West: Lakers (I think the Clippers are going to regress)

ROY: Tre Jones.....big gap....James Wiseman. God help me if it's LaMelo. Blech.
    MVP: If Luka puts up numbers again he'll have the fresh narrative and that's what drives MVP as much as anything else.

East: Bucks vs Celtics
    West: Lakers vs Mavs (for fun)

Champion: Lakers over Bucks (last year LBJ wins one...)

With the season starting tonight, any interest in a season-long NBA 20-21 Degenerates League?

Jason, what say you? Chime in here, everybody. I think we have 5 people who are interested, we should create the league and see how it goes.

With the season starting tonight, any interest in a season-long NBA 20-21 Degenerates League?

Jason, what say you? Chime in here, everybody. I think we have 5 people who are interested, we should create the league and see how it goes.
    I think someone else could set one up and would be allowed to mention it occasionally in this thread, but the DBR is not a big fan of gambling. We get away with it when it comes to college hoops, especially with an ACC focus, but I think we need to tread more lightly for other sports.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think someone else could set one up and would be allowed to mention it occasionally in this thread, but the DBR is not a big fan of gambling. We get away with it when it comes to college hoops, especially with an ACC focus, but I think we need to tread more lightly for other sports.
    That doesn't make sense to me because nobody is using real money in the Degenerates contests. You can think of the fake money we bet as a "score" you receive for picking well (like in the golf Degenerates contests on Off-Topic).

Also, being in these contests is an anti-gambling deterrent for most people since most people inevitably do horribly. (You were recently eliminated from the ACC Degenerates league per your own rules for having a "score" of -5000, for example).

I mean, I don't really care that much. Have a contest, don't have a contest, whatever. But I just want the explanation to make some sort of sense :-)

Rookie of the Year: Wiseman
    MVP: Bold prediction - Zion will be deep in this conversation but will ultimately get Most Improved. Luka will win with Giannis 2nd and Tatum finishing 3rd

East semifinalists: Bucks vs Celtics
    West semifinalists: Dallas vs Lakers

Champion: Bucks over Lakers

That doesn't make sense to me because nobody is using real money in the Degenerates contests. You can think of the fake money we bet as a "score" you receive for picking well (like in the golf Degenerates contests on Off-Topic).

Also, being in these contests is an anti-gambling deterrent for most people since most people inevitably do horribly. (You were recently eliminated from the ACC Degenerates league per your own rules for having a "score" of -5000, for example).

I mean, I don't really care that much. Have a contest, don't have a contest, whatever. But I just want the explanation to make some sort of sense :-)
    Look, I said someone can set it up and let folks know about it but to keep it sorta on the downlow because DBR is not a fan of gambling. Despite your protest, this kind of activity is clearly seen as a bit of an endorsement of gambling (and you tried to turn the last one into an actual gambling exercise by having folks invest in your picking prowess).

I'm not sure what more you want from me on this. If someone wants to set this up, go for it, but as a DBR mod, I will not be the person who runs it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Look, I said someone can set it up and let folks know about it but to keep it sorta on the downlow because DBR is not a fan of gambling. Despite your protest, this kind of activity is clearly seen as a bit of an endorsement of gambling (and you tried to turn the last one into an actual gambling exercise by having folks invest in your picking prowess).

I'm not sure what more you want from me on this. If someone wants to set this up, go for it, but as a DBR mod, I will not be the person who runs it.
    That's clearly untrue. Check the thread. DBR poster smvalkyries suggested that, and I turned him down.

I don't "want" anything from you except for explanations that make sense (and also now not making things up about me :-)

Have a good day, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Rookie of the Year: Wiseman
    MVP: Bold prediction - Zion will be deep in this conversation but will ultimately get Most Improved. Luka will win with Giannis 2nd and Tatum finishing 3rd

East semifinalists: Bucks vs Celtics
    West semifinalists: Dallas vs Lakers

Champion: Bucks over Lakers
    I don't think Zion will win Most Improved Player as 2nd year players rarely get the award due to the natural expected progression. I do think that Zion is an All-Star this year.

That's clearly untrue. Check the thread. DBR poster smvalkyries suggested that, and I turned him down.

I don't "want" anything from you except for explanations that make sense (and also now not making things up about me :-)

You are right... sorry. I misremembered.

I am also sorry if my explanation does not make sense to you, but it is what it is. Frankly, I don't know why it matters. Like I said, if you (or someone else) want to set it up, go for it. What more do you need from me?

Easy, guys...

We certainly don't want any real gambling/gaming on the board - regardless of who may have suggested it. That's a turn we don't need to take. Real-money gaming causes no end of trouble for too many people.

Personally, I think our current college hoops version of pre-season, ACC season, and post-season works well and gets people to pay attention to games in ways they might not otherwise. I wouldn't be opposed to a similar NBA version, especially if focused on the Brotherhood. I see it as another variation of money-free fantasy sports.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to a similar NBA version, especially if focused on the Brotherhood. I see it as another variation of money-free fantasy sports.
    Yep, I see all these contests belonging to the same bucket of "money-free fantasy sports," as you put it. That includes the fantasy football thread, the various degenerate golf contests, the original ACC basketball degenerates league (that I've won thrice, have I ever mentioned that :-), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Easy, guys...
    To be clear, I have been calm and have no issue with you or Jason, after various clarifications.

To get the thread back on track, let's pick an on-topic post above to respond to. Here we go:

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    West: Lakers

(I think the Clippers are going to regress)
    Any particular reason? They're a very well run organization that I'm betting will have the chemistry issues solved. And Kawhi and George are not old enough (29 and 30, respectively) to have major age-related regression.

Frankly, one of the reasons I'm not in love with my Lakers title pick is that Lebron turns 36 in about a week. I mean, his body should be studied by science, and I think he'll be fine. Still, one of these years, inevitably...