Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    The Pelicans blow a big lead late (including up six with 20 seconds left) and lose to the Pacers by two in OT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Geez, that’s awful. Were you watching? Down the stretch did they try to get the ball to Zion where he could drive to the basket and at least force a defender to foul him even if he wasn’t able to make the shot?
    Both Zion and Ingram faltered late, missing several shots that would have ended up providing the difference to win in regulation. Once up 10 with under 2 minutes to play, Ingram finished like 1-7 and Zion 1-4 from the field. Ingram could be an All-Star level player this year, but he has been rather poor finishing games. I don't have stats to back this up, but it seems like about halfway thru the 4th quarter to the end of the game his FG% takes a big dive, ie., not finishing strong. Maybe it's conditioning, a change in the way defenses play, or a change in the way that refs call the game down the stretch. Ingram did have a key blocked shot that preserved the tie and forced overtime vs. IND though.

4 out of 5, but still. And folk here dismissed my comment about how critical the loss of Spencer Dinwiddie would be.
    Whoa, you must be feeling mighty sensitive (Clemson loss?) if you thought anyone was being dismissive. I'm almost certain that in my post I agreed that Dinwiddie is a good player that the Nets would miss, but... he's still not the difference between a dominant team and a below-.500 team. The elephant in the room for why the Nets started so well but then started losing is that they stopped playing defense. (And if you're going to commence searching for articles about Dinwiddie being a huge defensive difference-maker, you'll be very disappointed, haha).

Well, Nash shook up the rotation in a major way today with Durant out, placing a lot more emphasis on giving players who could be decent defenders playing time. Two of the bigger moves were starting Jarrett Allen over DeAndre Jordan (Allen being the better defender/player at this point in their careers) and putting Bruce Brown, a pretty decent defender, in the starting lineup as well. Kyrie also put in the defensive effort that was missing since the early games. Result was a spanking of the favored Jazz.

If the Nets defend, they're going to score enough to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Whoa, you must be feeling mighty sensitive (Clemson loss?) if you thought anyone was being dismissive. I'm almost certain that in my post I agreed that Dinwiddie is a good player that the Nets would miss, but... he's still not the difference between a dominant team and a below-.500 team. The elephant in the room for why the Nets started so well but then started losing is that they stopped playing defense. (And if you're going to commence searching for articles about Dinwiddie being a huge defensive difference-maker, you'll be very disappointed, haha).

Well, Nash shook up the rotation in a major way today with Durant out, placing a lot more emphasis on giving players who could be decent defenders playing time. Two of the bigger moves were starting Jarrett Allen over DeAndre Jordan (Allen being the better defender/player at this point in their careers) and putting Bruce Brown, a pretty decent defender, in the starting lineup as well. Kyrie also put in the defensive effort that was missing since the early games. Result was a spanking of the favored Jazz.

If the Nets defend, they're going to score enough to win.
    Durant was first team all-NBA defense good before he was hurt. He’s scoring big time again, but I haven’t seen him approach his prior level on defense yet. Maybe with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Whoa, you must be feeling mighty sensitive (Clemson loss?) if you thought anyone was being dismissive.
    Well bless your heart. LOL, only kidding. Us southerners are known for being more sensitive than our Yankee counterparts, but the only way I’ll be mighty sensitive is if OSU beats Alabama.

In spite of whatever stats you were referring to, I do think Dinwiddie helped the defense. I agree the substitutions tonight by Nash absolutely made a difference. Perhaps the Nets can right the ship and play like they did in the first couple of games. I also agree that we haven’t seen Durant round into his normal defensive form yet. If that happens I like Brooklyn’s chances in the East.

Surely the Suns aren't going to carry on this way?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Surely the Suns aren't going to carry on this way?
    Can they rise above the noise and confusion?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Can they rise above the noise and confusion?

-jk
    And soar ever higher?

Covid starting to take out NBA games.

Mavs don't have enough players to play (gotta have at least 8) so tonight's game with the Pelicans is off: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1348687414362046466

The Celtics and Heat were postponed last night too: https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01...-bh-s-celtics/

Lots of calls for Silver to put the season on pause for a month or two.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Woj bomb: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1348698375676436488

NBA Board of Govs is going to have a special meeting tomorrow. I wonder if they will put the season on pause.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Woj bomb: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1348698375676436488

NBA Board of Govs is going to have a special meeting tomorrow. I wonder if they will put the season on pause.
    Sounds like it.

Oh my goodness! The Nets have traded for Harden! Kyrie is not a part of the deal, as there is a three-way also involving Cleveland. But the Nets have given away almost everything, including four first round picks, to get Harden. I think this blows up in their face and was a terrible move.

Oh my goodness! The Nets have traded for Harden! Kyrie is not a part of the deal, as there is a three-way also involving Cleveland. But the Nets have given away almost everything, including four first round picks, to get Harden. I think this blows up in their face and was a terrible move.
    It is beyond my comprehension to understand why the Nets would want to acquire James Harden.

Well, I definitely can't pull for the Nets now.

That is a ton of first round picks.

It is beyond my comprehension to understand why the Nets would want to acquire James Harden.
    It will make them unwatchable for me. I can't stomach Harden's "offense."

I have no idea. It makes no sense to me unless they plan on getting rid of Kyrie too. Still, to have traded away so much for one guy is insane, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Likewise. Will they now allow the Nets to play with two basketballs? If not, what does Kyrie do on the court (assuming he comes back)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Agreed. Also, hard to imagine Nash was for this.

Wow. Kept KD and KI. This seems to be a question of whether KI now > Russ then and KD post-Achilles and prima harden now.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Wow. Kept KD and KI. This seems to be a question of whether KI now > Russ then and KD post-Achilles and prima harden now.
    Yes! I’ll say it one more time - this will blow up in the Nets’ face. If they end up as Eastern Conference champions, I will quickly offer a mea culpa.