Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I obviously have no inside information, but K already said that we needed to reassess playing this season, COVID rates are only going up and the women cancelled the season. It just seems inevitable to me.
    Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if it was a dad joke.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Incredibly frustrating. And now Duke is going to go 2 1/2 weeks between games before having to travel to Florida State this Saturday. What a tough way to end a tough year. Here's to better and brighter days in 2021!
    Geez. Bring out the gallon sized WD-40 - this team is going to have a ton of rust. Question- can a 3-2 Duke team make the tourney?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Geez. Bring out the gallon sized WD-40 - this team is going to have a ton of rust. Question- can a 3-2 Duke team make the tourney?
    They let Ohio State's football team into the playoffs, so I guess I'd say yes.

Wanker.

Duke and Pitt game getting postponed is a bummer but not surprising at all. Not anymore. When I see the ball go up in the air for a tip-off, then I ‘ll know the men are playing an acc conf. game. Probably just a matter of time before a lot of teams opt out, just like the Duke women did.

Duke is 1 for 2 in playing ACC games as scheduled. I am not sure if Duke gets all 20 ACC games in during the league schedule this year.

I’ll set the over under at 17. I may have to pound the under if COVID keeps spreading as much as I’m hearing it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Duke is 1 for 2 in playing ACC games as scheduled. I am not sure if Duke gets all 20 ACC games in during the league schedule this year.

I’ll set the over under at 17. I may have to pound the under if COVID keeps spreading as much as I’m hearing it is.
    it's a bit of a bimodal distribution, since right now, *1* is a very real possibility.
    April 1

I would be shocked if we play 20 ACC regular season games. In fact...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's a bit of a bimodal distribution, since right now, *1* is a very real possibility.
    I won’t rule out the possibility that we play just 1.

Maybe not inevitable, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if it was a dad joke.
    No inside information, just thinking hard about what is happening. I can’t justify concluding, for myself, that the men’s season will be cancelled, but if i were a betting man, i wouldn’t bet against it, even at considerable odds. I think it is pretty unlikely that we will get through the ACC season. So hope I’m wrong! [I was just adjusting, admirably :-) , to accepting our team for what it is and focusing on their development, effort and attitude. Sorry, Lucy, you were not going to pull that one on me this year.]

For me, key factors are [1] the number of ACC [and other top league] games already postponed/cancelled; [2] the fact that responsible coaches like Jeff Capel could not escape catching the virus; [3] the very likely surge of COVID cases in most/all states, given Christmas mingling and travel [and therefor increasing the likelihood of community spread among sports programs]; and [4] Coach K’s being aware of these three factors [and probably others], and his genuine concern for the well-being of his players.

I found it pertinent that the Duke women opted out in part because their request that all of their ACC opponent programs carry out every day testing was denied. Is this a possibility for the men as well? The latest information i was able to glean is that the ACC requires testing 3 times per week. Would testing every day make much of a difference? I don’t know. It might help some ACC programs stay active.

Must be really tough on the players and staff — even tougher than on us fans — to not know whether their practices and other preparation will be rewarded with playing games. No doubt that K and his staff are emphasizing development as a key motivator.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would be shocked if we play 20 ACC regular season games. In fact...

I won’t rule out the possibility that we play just 1.
    I just got very sad ...

I hope this isn’t the case but I regrettably don’t disagree.

To quote Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men: ... And the hits just keep on comin’.

I think it's inevitable now that the remainder of the season will get cancelled at some point.

I just got very sad ...

I hope this isn’t the case but I regrettably don’t disagree.

To quote Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men: ... And the hits just keep on comin’.
    you want the truth?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you want the truth?
    You can’t handle the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I think it's inevitable now that the remainder of the season will get cancelled at some point.
    I'm not ready to use use the word "inevitable." But the trend lines are very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not ready to use use the word "inevitable." But the trend lines are very disturbing.
    Understatement.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I know the kids want to play. I want to be able to go to the gym without a mask on. But this is so clearly not the time, particularly for amateur sports.

It sucks. It’s not fair. But it’s reality.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My comment in the Women’s thread holds. It is likely the men will follow suit. Maybe Cal’s suggestion of delaying the season until March or April will come to pass.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

On the plus side, if they do end up cancelling the ACC season, we will have run the gauntlet undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    On the plus side, if they do end up cancelling the ACC season, we will have run the gauntlet undefeated.
    And, the cheats will be winless.

9F
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I think the only hope of playing a season is to take a pause now while the virus is at its peak, and then push everything back by two months with the hope that we will get past the holiday spikes while allowing the vaccines to roll out. Perhaps by February things will be back to the level where they were in October/November, meaning there is still risk but games can still be played. Then if the tournament is held in May or June we would potentially be at a point where the players can all be vaccinnated. Nobody wants this but if things continue at the current rate there will be no tournament and that is the real prize that the NCAA (and fans) covet above all else.