Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drug ring busted operating inside UNC fraternities

https://abc11.com/21-charged-federal...UgFO0JKTYmz1UI

UNC making news again for all the wrong reasons.

"This is a large drug network and supply chain fueling a drug culture at fraternities and within these universities and around these universities and towns," Martin said.

He said the suspects were responsible for moving thousands of pounds of marijuana, hundreds of kilograms of cocaine, LSD, molly, mushrooms, steroids, HGH, Xanax and other narcotics.

The investigation that resulted in this case started years ago. Orange County Sheriff's Office and the Drug Enforcement Agency launched an investigation in November 2018 into cocaine and hydrochloride being sold in the Chapel Hill area.

It soon became clear that the illegal drug distribution was happening at or near UNC fraternity organizations.

Court filings specifically point to UNC chapters of Phi Gamma Delta, Kappa Sigma, and Beta Theta Pi from 2017-2020 being cites of illegal drug activity.
    Oh...and an App St and Duke student were also implicated, but let's be clear the source of this is UNC.

#theCarolinaWay

BTW - I love the cite vs site error in the new story

This is fine, just so long as the illegal drugs were made equally available to all students, not just athletes.

Or so I’ve been told.

A little bird told me that this operation has been active and reasonably well known for at least 20 years...

No offense to any of the fine folks here who were involved in Greek Life, but...is this shocking to anyone? This set up may have been a bit more...robust than some, but I would caution fans/alumni of other schools to pause a little before throwing any stones over this particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    No offense to any of the fine folks here who were involved in Greek Life, but...is this shocking to anyone? This set up may have been a bit more...robust than some, but I would caution fans/alumni of other schools to pause a little before throwing any stones over this particular issue.
    Right. News flash: entitled young men with more disposable cash than average like to do recreational drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Right. News flash: entitled young men with more disposable cash than average like to do recreational drugs.
    It’s not gender-specific, man.

This set up may have been a bit more...robust than some, but I would caution fans/alumni of other schools to pause a little before throwing any stones over this particular issue.
    Ah, the first line of the Tarheel defense..."Everyone is doing it".

I have no doubt drugs are a problem at all college campuses. Just as is cheating to keep athletes eligible. None of that should excuse the behaviors we find at UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    True - the Duke student involved was female.

Yes, good point, but since the original story referenced fraternities, that was the focus of my response.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    True - the Duke student involved was female.
    Investigators also identified a female Duke student as being responsible for distributing cocaine to students at Duke and to fraternity members at UNC.

The defendants indicted for conspiracy to distribute cocaine and conspiracy to distribute marijuana face terms of imprisonment ranging from 10 years to life.
    She will be going away for a long time.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke UNC drug bust

Apparently UNC fraternities were running the show but

"Investigators also identified a female Duke student as being responsible for distributing cocaine to students at Duke and to fraternity members at UNC.

A primary supplier from California was the first person charged. According to court documents, from March 2017 until March 22, 2019, he supplied approximately 200 pounds of marijuana and two kilograms of cocaine weekly to a cooperating defendant in Orange County. Law enforcement operations at locations associated with the subject in Carrboro and Hillsborough resulted in seizure of 148.75 pounds of marijuana, 442 grams of cocaine, 189 Xanax pills, steroids, human growth hormone, other narcotics, and approximately $27,775.00 in U.S. currency.

The defendants indicted for conspiracy to distribute cocaine and conspiracy to distribute marijuana face terms of imprisonment ranging from 10 years to life."

https://abc11.com/drug-ring-fraterni...-duke/8845768/

Thousands of pounds of pot and hundreds of kilos of marijuana? Yeah, I’m shocked by that.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    She will be going away for a long time.
    Depends on her willingness to share knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    BTW - I love the cite vs site error in the new story
    Not to mention "... Martin, a UNC alumni, said ..."

Depends on her willingness to share knowledge.
    yes, my guess is that she will not be going away for a long time, but it's going to be an expensive interlude for her.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Thousands of pounds of pot and hundreds of kilos of marijuana? Yeah, I’m shocked by that.
    I may be somewhat out of the loop on the vernacular, but isn't that the same thing?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I may be somewhat out of the loop on the vernacular, but isn't that the same thing?
    Ha! My fingers must not have wanted to type out cocaine. Hi

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Apparently UNC fraternities were running the show but

"Investigators also identified a female Duke student as being responsible for distributing cocaine to students at Duke and to fraternity members at UNC.

A primary supplier from California was the first person charged. According to court documents, from March 2017 until March 22, 2019, he supplied approximately 200 pounds of marijuana and two kilograms of cocaine weekly to a cooperating defendant in Orange County. Law enforcement operations at locations associated with the subject in Carrboro and Hillsborough resulted in seizure of 148.75 pounds of marijuana, 442 grams of cocaine, 189 Xanax pills, steroids, human growth hormone, other narcotics, and approximately $27,775.00 in U.S. currency.

The defendants indicted for conspiracy to distribute cocaine and conspiracy to distribute marijuana face terms of imprisonment ranging from 10 years to life."

https://abc11.com/drug-ring-fraterni...-duke/8845768/
    Aside: I read stuff like this and it angers me anew that Duke rejected my brilliant sons. They don't fit the traditional college applicant mold, so at some level, I get it, but they would have done the university proud. There have been too many high profile stories involving Duke students that have not done the university proud in recent years for me to continue to be impressed with how the admissions office does business.

Shocking might not be the right word, but it is very surprising. Not shocked by people taking drugs, or dealing. Finding a large operation is very surprising to me, though, because (1) fraternity members have other things taking up their time and (2) risk management is a significant priority in modern fraternities.

I don't believe in drug laws, at all, but I would have been appalled if brothers had put the fraternity at risk through some sort of organized criminal operation, and I think the same holds true for most members of other fraternities I knew at Duke. The rare one that I think would have been reckless enough to do so (1) wouldn't have "needed" to do so and (2) couldn't have competently organized it.

The story might be overplaying fraternity involvement, though, which would make it less surprising.