Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oy, again.
    Remind me not to look at this thread at lunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Funny, we're doing the same thing and I'm going to play with a variant of your butternut squash pizza.

Here are some combos that have worked well for us:

- Bacon, Fig, caramelized onion, goat cheese, balsamic drizzle
    - artichoke, roasted red pepper, roasted garlic, 3 cheese - mozz, bleu, asiago
    - sage sausage, roasted red pepper, caramelized red onion, roasted garlic, finished with lightly oiled arugula
    The artichoke and 3 cheese ideas inspired me. Going to make 4 pizzas on Christmas Eve:

Tomato Pie: Pizza sauce, Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato sliced, Roasted garlic, Fresh Oregano, Balsamic reduction and fresh basil – after cooking
    Ham and Artichoke: Pizza sauce, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Prosciutto, Artichoke, Black Olives, Oregano, Red pepper
    4 Cheese Pizza: Olive Oil, Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Gorgonzola, Roasted garlic, Oregano, Red pepper
    Sausage and Mushroom: Olive Oil, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Pickled jalapenos
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The artichoke and 3 cheese ideas inspired me. Going to make 4 pizzas on Christmas Eve:

Tomato Pie: Pizza sauce, Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato sliced, Roasted garlic, Fresh Oregano, Balsamic reduction and fresh basil – after cooking
    Ham and Artichoke: Pizza sauce, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Prosciutto, Artichoke, Black Olives, Oregano, Red pepper
    4 Cheese Pizza: Olive Oil, Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Gorgonzola, Roasted garlic, Oregano, Red pepper
    Sausage and Mushroom: Olive Oil, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Pickled jalapenos
    Fancy! Sounds awesome.

Sounds good! I'll post mine if you post yours!

Here are my Christmas Eve installments. Not great at the food photos but they'll be good. First is our old standby. Pepperoni, mix of jalapeno and habaneros, heaps of roasted garlic and some left over apple cider caramelized onions. Second one was inspired by rthomas. Has prosciutto, butternut squash tossed in cinnamon/honey/cayenne/sage, goat cheese and apple cider caramelized onions. Homemade 00 flour dough, homemade sauce.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

The amount of roasted garlic we put on these pizzas causes some trouble in the house.

Looks so good. Here is ours.

IMG_2302.jpg
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Here are my Christmas Eve installments. Not great at the food photos but they'll be good. First is our old standby. Pepperoni, mix of jalapeno and habaneros, heaps of roasted garlic and some left over apple cider caramelized onions. Second one was inspired by rthomas. Has prosciutto, butternut squash tossed in cinnamon/honey/cayenne/sage, goat cheese and apple cider caramelized onions. Homemade 00 flour dough, homemade sauce.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

The amount of roasted garlic we put on these pizzas causes some trouble in the house.
    Look and read amazing!

Dayum. Any one of those reads amazing

Sold. Is the ooni the pizza maker of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Sold. Is the ooni the pizza maker of choice?
    You should read about them. I love it, but there is a learning curve and I'm still learning. If you do want one, you should check them out and and pull the trigger. It took a couple months between my order and getting it, and if you look at their website it says that orders now will be delivered in February.
    ~rthomas

I built a wood fired pizza oven this fall with my son in about 20 minutes using bricks and pavers purchased at the hardware store for about $60. It is a lot of fun to use and makes great pizza.

Stole the idea from a YouTube video. If you are thinking about getting a pizza oven it is a very minimal investment to figure out whether or not you like making pizza.
    SmartSelect_20201226-070649_Gallery.jpg
    Last edited by mpj96; 12-26-2020 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Add photo

Ordered my Ooni Frya 12” oven today. 20% off early Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.

it is wood pellet based.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Ordered my Ooni Frya 12” oven today. 20% off early Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.

it is wood pellet based.
    Damn you for bringing this post back! Now I am starving!

As a short order cook for 3 years, as an undergraduate, I learned that the path to pizza nirvana is to realize that you don't have to cook the crust at exactly the same time/rate as the cheese/toppings. Until I realized that, there was always a mismatch. Once I started to let the crust cook first, slowly, and then the toppings, better pizza's resulted.

You look like you are doing well in your evolution. More ahead! Onward.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I just have to share this recipe from Publix:

https://www.publix.com/recipe/sausage-and-peppers-pizza

Confession: If I had to choose just one eternal topping, it would probably be pepperoni. I never tire of it. But the sausage and peppers pizza recipe linked above is probably my favorite all-time make-at-home pizza. The combo of flavors is so great. We used Johnsonville mild Italian sausages (found as links in frozen section, surprisingly; de-case them). Generally I prefer spicy stuff, but this is delicious. I will probably try it sometime with different sausage and see what works best, but this is what we've done so far.

it is wood pellet based.
    These things are expensive now. I have a propane fired Pizzacraft model that works great for me from back when they were about $130. Had it before the Ooni ones came out and have lusted after them since.

Pizzacraft model works great when camping.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I just have to share this recipe from Publix:

https://www.publix.com/recipe/sausage-and-peppers-pizza

Confession: If I had to choose just one eternal topping, it would probably be pepperoni. I never tire of it. But the sausage and peppers pizza recipe linked above is probably my favorite all-time make-at-home pizza. The combo of flavors is so great. We used Johnsonville mild Italian sausages (found as links in frozen section, surprisingly; de-case them). Generally I prefer spicy stuff, but this is delicious. I will probably try it sometime with different sausage and see what works best, but this is what we've done so far.
    Kick it up a notch by using caramelized onions, one of the best pizza toppings you can ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    These things are expensive now. I have a propane fired Pizzacraft model that works great for me from back when they were about $130. Had it before the Ooni ones came out and have lusted after them since.

Pizzacraft model works great when camping.
    Yeah, I debated for nearly a year, so when it was 20% off, I just did it. The end result is what matters, looks like you are putting your pizzacraft to work!

First pizza made yesterday. I have a lot to learn but very much enjoyed the food.

Key lessons from yesterday:

1) Super easy setup for Ooni Fyra
    2) Getting it lit and up to temperature easy also
    3) Since you are cooking so quickly (1+minute) you can't put much on topping wise. In other words, it can't be triple stacked with pepperoni. Maybe if I had bought a gas powered one where you can regulate temperature a bit that is an option. But not so much with wood pellets.
    4) Remember to put some corn meal on the pizza peel. Or use a wooden peel. My pizza turned out heart shaped.
    5) 12" isn't a large pizza or I was hungry.

I do need more experience crafting the pizzas themselves.

I do need more experience crafting the pizzas themselves.
    Ahhh, the dreaded toss & twirl drills. Good luck. ✌️