Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    "Per Wendell Moore, Jalen Johnson is around the team and getting closer to returning but has yet to practice."
    https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11/s...443947009?s=20
    Yup, I was the one who asked Wendell about Jalen at Wendell's news conference today. Wendell certainly made it sound like Jalen is engaged and excited to get back to playing. He is attending practices but not playing yet. We won't see him this weekend, I am sure, but maybe next weekend?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, I was the one who asked Wendell about Jalen at Wendell's news conference today. Wendell certainly made it sound like Jalen is engaged and excited to get back to playing. He is attending practices but not playing yet. We won't see him this weekend, I am sure, but maybe next weekend?
    Just waiting for all of the non-DBR geniuses to come with their take of “He should pack it in for the rest of the season and just enter the draft. Why should he risk further injury and the possibility of damaging his long-term career prospects when he’s not even getting paid?”

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Just waiting for all of the non-DBR geniuses to come with their take of “He should pack it in for the rest of the season and just enter the draft. Why should he risk further injury and the possibility of damaging his long-term career prospects when he’s not even getting paid?”
    They might hold off a bit, expecting the season will cancel itself.

Zion was a phenomenon, Jalen not so much yet. I don't expect any hot takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Zion was a phenomenon, Jalen not so much yet. I don't expect any hot takes.
    Yeah, Jalen is not a guaranteed top three pick like Zion or James Wiseman. I doubt we hear anyone with this take.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

The absolute worst! That take drove me crazy when it was all we heard after Zion's injury. Zion clearly wanted to play yet people for some reason felt like they should make the decision for him.

Because at the moment he is a project in the NBA. Great raw talent but not yet a great basketball player. He had one good game in college against a low level team. Clearly he needs to show more but you never know- scouts will love his potential.

DBR brethren, do you not recall it — “He should not set foot on a college court again. Just heal and get ready for the draft young man.” — being opined by a considerable number of people about Cole Anthony after he got hurt last year? And his draft stock had already fallen at that point.

So no, it’s not just super-elite (top 3 picks) prospects about which it is said/suggested.

DBR brethren, do you not recall it — “He should not set foot on a college court again. Just heal and get ready for the draft young man.” — being opined by a considerable number of people about Cole Anthony after he got hurt last year? And his draft stock had already fallen at that point.

So no, it’s not just super-elite (top 3 picks) prospects about which it is said/suggested.
    Good point. There's still a minimum level of fame needed to be hot-take-worthy, though. Cole Anthony started the season as a top-3 draft pick (with many thinking he should go #1), and while he didn't play great, his injury was blamed for the Heels' struggles. Jalen was mocked mostly in the 6 to 10 range and has played 4 games of "meh" so far in college basketball. He hasn't built up that notoriety yet.

As an aside, Wendell Moore told the media today that Henry Coleman was working at small forward now. Not sure if any of this is related to Johnson's injury or simply finding another way to get Coleman on the court more.

Good point. There's still a minimum level of fame needed to be hot-take-worthy, though. Cole Anthony started the season as a top-3 draft pick (with many thinking he should go #1), and while he didn't play great, his injury was blamed for the Heels' struggles. Jalen was mocked mostly in the 6 to 10 range and has played 4 games of "meh" so far in college basketball. He hasn't built up that notoriety yet.
    Great points, as always.

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As an aside, Wendell Moore told the media today that Henry Coleman was working at small forward now. Not sure if any of this is related to Johnson's injury or simply finding another way to get Coleman on the court more.
    Hard to imagine. Henry doesn’t seem to have obvious offensive perimeter skills, based on the few minutes I’ve seen, but perhaps he has more tha he has shown.

FSU has a huge perimeter, probably the biggest in the ACC.

That said, my first instinct is that it'd still be better for JGold to guard, say, Scottie Barnes, than Henry. But we'll see. (And obviously nobody would be shocked if, despite practicing at SF, Henry got a DNP-CD again against FSU).

I remember the summer before his junior year there was talk about moving Javin DeLaurier to the 3 position for a similar reason - the front court was just too crowded and it was the only way to get him on the court. I don't think we've seen enough of Coleman to know one way or another how he would perform at any position. All we really know is that everyone speaks highly of him, he seems like a great kid off the court, he's physically strong and he has a repuation for being a high energy guy.

I like this. We really don't have anyone on the team that is a true SF. The key is not perimeter skills on offense, but rather on defense. DJ and Jordan can defend the SF position if we're pressing, but in a halfcourt situation both are kind of small. Plus, assuming we start with the three-guard lineup, someone needs to back up that position. Wendell can play SF, but seems better at smallball PF. Same with Joey. I'm still not convinced Jalen or Jaemyn or Matthew can guard the perimeter effectively, so if Henry can effectively guard opposing SFs, he could carve out a role.

And if he can guard out there, it will be even more helpful next season, when we'll be even bigger and may have even fewer perimeter defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I remember the summer before his junior year there was talk about moving Javin DeLaurier to the 3 position for a similar reason - the front court was just too crowded and it was the only way to get him on the court. I don't think we've seen enough of Coleman to know one way or another how he would perform at any position. All we really know is that everyone speaks highly of him, he seems like a great kid off the court, he's physically strong and he has a repuation for being a high energy guy.
    I think you mean Javin's sophomore year when, yes, he was given some time at the 3 due to the frontcourt being stacked with Wendell, Marvin, and Marques.

The great news is this move, if it happens and isn't just some practice curiosity, can much more easily generate coherent lineups since we have two stretch bigs in Hurt and Brakefield. If you play those two together with Henry, you're not necessarily killing your spacing like you did when Javin played the 3 with the 2018 bigs.

I do wonder how much Henry will play offensive SF instead of defensive SF. He's a very athletic guy who might be a physical driver who draws fouls and is a good shooter from the free throw line. Statistically, Duke's biggest offensive weakness is lack of foul drawing (with turnovers being second), and I wonder if Coach is going to run some sets to get Henry driving to the basket. An example might be entering the ball into Jaemyn or Matt at the elbow in horns and have them dribble-handoff to Henry to create space between him and his defender before he goes to the basket.

I think you mean Javin's sophomore year when, yes, he was given some time at the 3 due to the frontcourt being stacked with Wendell, Marvin, and Marques.

The great news is this move, if it happens and isn't just some practice curiosity, can much more easily generate coherent lineups since we have two stretch bigs in Hurt and Brakefield. If you play those two together with Henry, you're not necessarily killing your spacing like you did when Javin played the 3 with the 2018 bigs.

I do wonder how much Henry will play offensive SF instead of defensive SF. He's a very athletic guy who might be a physical driver who draws fouls and is a good shooter from the free throw line. Statistically, Duke's biggest offensive weakness is lack of foul drawing (with turnovers being second), and I wonder if Coach is going to run some sets to get Henry driving to the basket. An example might be entering the ball into Jaemyn or Matt at the elbow in horns and have them dribble-handoff to Henry to create space between him and his defender before he goes to the basket.
    Since I've not seen Henry get much playing time, I have no idea how he'll do in an ACC game. I did like the defensive stance he had in the one game I saw. By using him as SF, this can help keep DJ and Jordan out of foul trouble and if we get some offense from him, that's icing on the cake.

GoDuke!

Not related to Jalen Johnson but the black jerseys are back tomorrow. Love it.

And by "told the media" what Jim means is "Jason asked a question about practice and Wendell shocked all of us by saying Henry is playing on the perimeter."

-Jason "my questions so rarely make 'news' that I had to chime in when two of mine elicited some interesting responses" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I think Coleman might be a decent defensive option on Scottie Barnes - he's got great foot work and size with a good motor.
    Just . . . he's a little raw on the offensive end.