Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    I think that's right...Black Hawks being the other?
    Yes! Hardly anybody knows that Black Hawk was an individual, not some tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I suppose you could consider it that way, but that's not the answer I was looking for.
    Looks like the Bills consider it that way. From the interwebs (wiki):

n 1947 a contest was held to rename the AAFC Bisons, which was owned by James Breuil of the Frontier Oil Company. The winning entry suggested "Bills", reflecting on the famous western frontiersman, Buffalo Bill Cody.

From the Bills:

That winning entry was sent in by James F. Dyson whose essay compared the team to a band of "Buffalo Bills."

The AAFC collapsed after its 1949 season, but Wilson breathed new life into the name of the organization when he chose it for his own organization.

The original Buffalo Bill was one of the most colorful figures of the American Old West. In 1883, he began performing his own show, Buffalo Bill's Wild West, across the country. Buffalo Bill was an American scout who fought for the Union in the Civil War and served the U.S. Army in the Indian Wars. He received a medal of honor in 1972, and it is his name by which Buffalo's football team is recognized. Wilson gave the organization its lasting nickname at the very beginning, on November 30, 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Looks like the Bills consider it that way...The AAFC collapsed after its 1949 season, but Wilson breathed new life into the name of the organization when he chose it for his own organization.

The original Buffalo Bill was one of the most colorful figures of the American Old West. In 1883, he began performing his own show, Buffalo Bill's Wild West, across the country. Buffalo Bill was an American scout who fought for the Union in the Civil War and served the U.S. Army in the Indian Wars. He received a medal of honor in 1972, and it is his name by which Buffalo's football team is recognized. Wilson gave the organization its lasting nickname at the very beginning, on November 30, 1959.[/I]
    Should've been the Buffalo Wilsons.

I thought I'd weigh in with how they became the Indians. In the early 1900's, the team was generally referred to as the Naps, for their manager, Napoleon Lajoie...
    Truly, nicknames are not what they used to be. That one was terrific.

...Hardly anybody knows that Black Hawk was an individual, not some tribe.
    Please, oh please don't let the Blackhawks change their name! As I Detroiter, I loathe them but to change it just would not be right.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    ...Please, oh please don't let the Blackhawks change their name! As I Detroiter, I loathe them but to change it just would not be right.
    Wouldn't be that hard to update the logo and keep the name. I've seen a few mockups in recent years of what it might look like. This one, for example, works great in my opinion:
    g50pSTUvQEyibZcQYUS1Ug.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Wouldn't be that hard to update the logo and keep the name. I've seen a few mockups in recent years of what it might look like. This one, for example, works great in my opinion:
    In fact, much cooler than the original.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Next up, getting rid of the Tarheels!

So, here's a trivia question: name the two teams among MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL who are named for individual persons.
    Charlotte Bobcats?

(Trust me, trivia can be tricky. Maybe stick the word "current" in the question.)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Charlotte Bobcats?

(Trust me, trivia can be tricky. Maybe stick the word "current" in the question.)
    I was thinking of the same one but it was phrased "are," indicating present tense, rather than "have been" or "were."

irrelevant aside: the Black Hawks jersey is (IMO) among the most beautiful in sports...

I remember when Cleveland's Cavs were so woeful* they were informally known as the Cleveland Cadavers. It makes me laugh to this day. Anyway, that nickname isn't being used, so ...

Or how about the Baseball Team of Cleveland? What? BTC is already taken?

To recognize the R&R HoF, they could be known as the Cleveland Rockers. They could sport a pyramid on their caps ... or if that's too much red meat for conspiracy theorists, they could use rocking chairs instead (in which you could take a Nap, Mr. Lajoie!)

* and yet, Weezie, our Pistons later ended up with their James Edwards and some guy named Bill Laimbeer

They could be called the Full Clevelands and dress accordingly.

Cleveland Grovers?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    ...This one, for example, works great in my opinion:
    Hmmmm. Guess I'm just too old school. That new one looks, uhhh, yikes.

But then again, nothing is cooler than this one:

https://images.app.goo.gl/PcAxVEzBk2m77adJ9
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Cleveland Grovers?
    Imagine the ball caps:

517F6D02-6DA1-4DDA-A688-4C7DA051A954.jpg
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    [resident Muppet obsessive enthusiastically pledges to buy one]

I thought I'd weigh in with how they became the Indians. In the early 1900's, the team was generally referred to as the Naps, for their manager, Napoleon Lajoie. (Team names were more fluid and less official back then.) Lajoie was not going to be with the team in 1915, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer (I think that's the newspaper) sponsored a contest to re-name the team.

The winning entry was Indians, sent in by a fan who liked Louis Sockalexis, a Penobscot Indian who had played for the Cleveland Spiders in the National League in the late 1800's. The name "Sockalexises" or "Sockalexi" wouldn't have worked, I guess.

So, here's a trivia question: name the two teams among MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL who are named for individual persons.
    I recall my dad telling me years ago the Kansas City Chiefs were named after the mayor or someone like that who had the nickname “chief” and that the team name wasn’t really a Native American reference... now I need to go look that up to see if it’s true...

Edit: seems to check out. Obviously lots of Native American influence in this Mayor Bartle guy taking that nickname for himself, but I found several articles which point to him (as an individual) as the team name source.
    Last edited by snowdenscold; 12-15-2020 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I recall my dad telling me years ago the Kansas City Chiefs were named after the mayor or someone like that who had the nickname “chief” and that the team name wasn’t really a Native American reference... now I need to go look that up to see if it’s true...

Edit: seems to check out. Obviously lots of Native American influence in this Mayor Bartle guy taking that nickname for himself, but I found several articles which point to him (as an individual) as the team name source.
    How about the Kansas City Beefs? Cow mascot!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    How about the Kansas City Beefs? Cow mascot!
    Injury report: mascot is nursing a calf.

Just so no stone is left unturned, there is a Common Black Hawk, which breeds in Arizona and whose range extends south to Venezuela and Peru, and a Great Black Hawk, whose range extends from Mexico to Northern Argentina.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013