Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MLB News: Cleveland to Drop “Indians” from Team Name

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/s...imes&smtyp=cur

If this should be on the Off-Topic Board, please move.

So will they become the 'Cleveland Baseball Team'?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Maybe they will win their division with a sub-500 record

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    After 2020, I think we could all use some CBT (or, some would argue, CBD).

My Mom is rolling over in her grave because she loved the Cleveland Indians. I guess it's only right since my NFL team is no longer the Redskins that her baseball team is will not be the Indians. It's a conspiracy.

GOWFT & GOCBT.

oh well, I always figured the main problem was the logo, but whatever they do is fine by me...

Still, it reminds me of the time I was in Fulton County Stadium and a bunch of wee lads were checking out Chief Nokahoma down below (behind the outfield fence)...which led to them pouring Coca Cola down onto him, tee hee, lots of giggling and running around laughing...until The Chief appeared in the upper deck, feathers dripping with Coke, and HE was not among those amused by the entire incident...he hovered over those kids and I thought they were going to die from fright, he's about eight feet tall with the headdress, and being saturated with Coke (despite it being the Real Thing) he was in a distinctly ugly frame of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    oh well, I always figured the main problem was the logo, but whatever they do is fine by me...
    I operate from the position that it isn't my place to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't be offended by. The logo sure looked... not right to me. But if people are offended by the name as well, by all means change it.

My wife is part Cherokee and is not offended one bit with Native American names or mascots. She's more offended with the salaries and special treatment they receive. Especially during the Covid pandemic.

GoDuke!

Sign me up for a Cleveland Spiders shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Sign me up for a Cleveland Spiders shirt!
    In 2020 I really don't see how it could be anything other the the Cleveland Steamers
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Are the Kansas City Chiefs on deck? No pun intended...well, maybe just a touch.

I'd vote for the Cleveland Burning Cuyahogas.

(Actually, I'm told that Cleveland is a wonderful place but I've never been there.)

Cleveland Indians team name history

I thought I'd weigh in with how they became the Indians. In the early 1900's, the team was generally referred to as the Naps, for their manager, Napoleon Lajoie. (Team names were more fluid and less official back then.) Lajoie was not going to be with the team in 1915, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer (I think that's the newspaper) sponsored a contest to re-name the team.

The winning entry was Indians, sent in by a fan who liked Louis Sockalexis, a Penobscot Indian who had played for the Cleveland Spiders in the National League in the late 1800's. The name "Sockalexises" or "Sockalexi" wouldn't have worked, I guess.

So, here's a trivia question: name the two teams among MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL who are named for individual persons.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I thought I'd weigh in with how they became the Indians. In the early 1900's, the team was generally referred to as the Naps, for their manager, Napoleon Lajoie. (Team names were more fluid and less official back then.) Lajoie was not going to be with the team in 1915, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer (I think that's the newspaper) sponsored a contest to re-name the team.

The winning entry was Indians, sent in by a fan who liked Louis Sockalexis, a Penobscot Indian who had played for the Cleveland Spiders in the National League in the late 1800's. The name "Sockalexises" or "Sockalexi" wouldn't have worked, I guess.

So, here's a trivia question: name the two teams among MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL who are named for individual persons.

Interesting question. Is Buffalo named for Buffalo Bill? Never gave it much thought but that's the only one that popped to mind...

Cleveland Browns after Paul Brown?

The Mets are named for Mr. Met.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That's correct. There's one more.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

The Cleveland football team would be one.

(ETA: I didn’t type fast enough!)

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    [/B]

Interesting question. Is Buffalo named for Buffalo Bill? Never gave it much thought but that's the only one that popped to mind...
    I suppose you could consider it that way, but that's not the answer I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think that's right...Black Hawks being the other?