Page 84 of 87 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1725
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Agree. I am sick and tired of hearing about Stan Van Gundy in the Dukies in the NBA thread. Let's find another whipping horse. What about Harrison Barnes?
    As long as he isn’t named.

2. Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    As long as he isn’t named.
    The OG Black Falcon. He should sue Disney.

If you enjoy talking about Dukies in the NBA, you should listen to the latest DBR podcast starting at the 16 minute mark where we go in depth on Frank Jackson, Jayson Tatum, and then Zion Williamson (with a heavy, heavy dose of eye-popping Zion stats): https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP3633516811

Hat tip to Sam who says Zion is "some kind of cross between Grant Hill and Shaquille O'Neal."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Looked at current NBA scoring stats (5/5/21) and 3 of top 10 scorers in league are Duke products

8. Kyrie Irving 27.0 ppg
    9. Zion Williamson 27.0 ppg
    10. Jayson Tatum 26.5 ppg

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/playe...oints/dir/desc

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Looked at current NBA scoring stats (5/5/21) and 3 of top 10 scorers in league are Duke products

8. Kyrie Irving 27.0 ppg
    9. Zion Williamson 27.0 ppg
    10. Jayson Tatum 26.5 ppg

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/playe...oints/dir/desc
    Which, if any, of these guys will make an All-NBA team this year? It is a really tough year to project because several of the big stars who typically dominate these teams have had injury-filled years that really cloud their candidacy. I mean, Lebron has missed 20 games, AD has missed more than half the season, Harden and KD aren't even going to appear in 40 games, Jimmy Butler has missed almost 20 games, Embiid has missed almost 20 games... it has been a tough year.

So, I will guess at the following guys for the All-NBA teams:

I think Curry, Giannis, Jokic, and Lillard are all gonna make the first team. We need one more forward on the team (the All-NBA teams go by positions). I think it could be Tatum or Zion or maybe Julius Randle, but I think it will be Lebron, merely because everyone things they are supposed to vote for Lebron. Zion and Tatum may be hurt a bit by each of their teams performing worse than expected. Still, I think they both make one of the three All-NBA teams, just not sure which one.

There are 4 guards on the second and third team. I think Beal, Westbrook, and Luka have to be in three of those four spots. The last spot goes to either Trae, Chris Paul, or Donovan Mitchell. Is Devin Booker in the mix? Kyrie is close, but some folks will mark him down for a couple weird absences during the year and so I think he misses.

I already named all the forwards but one. I think the last forward is either Kawhi or Domantis Sabonis. On reputation, maybe Paul George is in the conversation, but I don't think his play has been up to snuff. Harden and KD simply missed too many games, I think.

We need 2 more centers. One of them is Embiid. The third is probably Clint Capella, but I could be convinced to pick Rudy Gobert.

So, there you have it... anyone want to debate me on this? Who did I leave out?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Who did I leave out?
    Fritz Lang and Peter Lorre.

7. Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Which, if any, of these guys will make an All-NBA team this year? It is a really tough year to project because several of the big stars who typically dominate these teams have had injury-filled years that really cloud their candidacy. I mean, Lebron has missed 20 games, AD has missed more than half the season, Harden and KD aren't even going to appear in 40 games, Jimmy Butler has missed almost 20 games, Embiid has missed almost 20 games... it has been a tough year.

I think Curry, Giannis, Jokic, and Lillard are all gonna make the first team. We need one more forward on the team (the All-NBA teams go by positions). I think it could be Tatum or Zion or maybe Julius Randle, but I think it will be Lebron, merely because everyone things they are supposed to vote for Lebron. Zion and Tatum may be hurt a bit by each of their teams performing worse than expected. Still, I think they both make one of the three All-NBA teams, just not sure which one.

There are 4 guards on the second and third team. I think Beal, Westbrook, and Luka have to be in three of those four spots. The last spot goes to either Trae, Chris Paul, or Donovan Mitchell. Is Devin Booker in the mix? Kyrie is close, but some folks will mark him down for a couple weird absences during the year and so I think he misses.

I already named all the forwards but one. I think the last forward is either Kawhi or Domantis Sabonis. On reputation, maybe Paul George is in the conversation, but I don't think his play has been up to snuff. Harden and KD simply missed too many games, I think.

We need 2 more centers. One of them is Embiid. The third is probably Clint Capella, but I could be convinced to pick Rudy Gobert.

I'm not sure Westbrook will make it -- he's averaging a triple double, sure, but he's still inefficient scoring-wise and the Wizards are terrible. It seems like we've seen the same script too many times on Westbrook; big stats that don't translate to exceptional team success. My guess is he will get punished this year.

I would put Chris Paul way ahead of him. Phoenix went from missing the playoffs to be in the running for best record, and a lot of people are giving CP3 the credit.

Definitely Gobert over Capella. If you look at all the advanced stats, Gobert is an elite player and the Jazz are having an amazing regular season.

With how much MVP talk Embiid is getting, I don't think he'll fall that far.

Here's how I would predict the all-NBA teams:

First Team
    PG: Curry
    SG: Doncic
    SF: LeBron
    PF: Giannis
    C: Joker

Second Team
    PG: Paul
    SG: Lillard
    SF: Kawhi
    PF: Embiid
    C: Gobert

Third Team
    PG: Kyrie
    SG: Beal
    SF: Butler
    PF: Zion
    C: Randle

You could make an argument for Tatum over Butler, and Mitchell or Booker over Beal. I gave it to Butler due to his track record, and Beal as he's the leading scorer in the league.

I think Kyrie will make it just because the Nets are a contender and Kyrie is the team's representative...plus he also has great individual stats.

I put Doncic on the first team instead of Lillard because Dallas has had a better season. You could also argue Doncic won with a lesser supporting cast.

If the world is fair, you'd put Kawhi over LeBron in the first team but I agree with Jason that the voting world has been conditioned to vote for LeBron.

Warriors and Pelicans haven't been great this season, but both Curry and Williamson are having historic seasons.

Kyrie is easily ahead of Trae, Paul, Mitchell, Beal, Westbrook, and Booker in PER and just slightly behind Luka, Curry, and Lillard, and his team has been better than most of those guys' teams. As usual, Kyrie shoots higher percentages and turns the ball over less than other star guards. I've watched a good bit of Brooklyn games this year, and he's been active and disruptive on defense, too. I would also penalize Trae for being the worst defender of the bunch and the worst offender in terms of flailing and acting his way into shooting a ridiculous number of free throws. Zion is 4th in the NBA in PER. Someone posted above that his defensive stats are also surprisingly good. I think Kyrie, Zion, and Tatum all should make All-NBA teams.

Kyrie did all he could to keep the Nets from a four game losing streak, but it wasn’t enough against the JJ-less Mavs. Brooklyn is absolutely reeling as the playoffs are looming. And after tonight they have effectively surrendered the #2 seed to Milwaukee. Only Harden coming back, with a quick return to midseason form, will give them a shot at the NBA Finals. Anything less than that and I can’t see them making it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Kyrie did all he could to keep the Nets from a four game losing streak, but it wasn’t enough against the JJ-less Mavs. Brooklyn is absolutely reeling as the playoffs are looming. And after tonight they have effectively surrendered the #2 seed to Milwaukee. Only Harden coming back, with a quick return to midseason form, will give them a shot at the NBA Finals. Anything less than that and I can’t see them making it.
    Kyrie had a great game tonight. The best talent still takes time to gel. Unfortunately, the Nets don't have enough time before the playoffs to integrate Harden. It's reminiscient of the 2010-11 Duke team with Kyrie coming back in the Second Round of the NCAA tournament and no time to work out all the adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Kyrie had a great game tonight. The best talent still takes time to gel. Unfortunately, the Nets don't have enough time before the playoffs to integrate Harden. It's reminiscient of the 2010-11 Duke team with Kyrie coming back in the Second Round of the NCAA tournament and no time to work out all the adjustments.
    That may very well be the perfect analogy. I’m rooting for the Nets to win at all, as I want to see a Dukie star in and win the NBA finals. And this season the best bet to see that happen is Kyrie and the Nets. So I don’t want to see Brooklyn collapse, but right now they are not going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    That may very well be the perfect analogy. I’m rooting for the Nets to win at all, as I want to see a Dukie star in and win the NBA finals. And this season the best bet to see that happen is Kyrie and the Nets. So I don’t want to see Brooklyn collapse, but right now they are not going in the right direction.
    I wouldn't call it a collapse. Yes, they've lost 4 straight, but all to good teams, and the last 3 have been close losses, all on the road, 2 to the Bucks and 1 to Dallas, which really needed the wins, and all without Harden. Durant had one of his worst games last night, too. So long as they get a healthy Harden back, I think they still will be the favorite in the East, though not with a big edge over the Sixers or Bucks. Kyrie was very good on defense, too, again last night, with 4 steals, 2 blocks, and acive and engaged throughout. I still would like to see Durant in the playoffs return to his all-NBA defense form.

Shams is reporting Zion has a broken left ring finger and is sidelined indefinitely. That may be it for his sophomore season. Poop.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Shams is reporting Zion has a broken left ring finger and is sidelined indefinitely. That may be it for his sophomore season. Poop.
    Shoot, that's too bad. Zion has had a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Shoot, that's too bad. Zion has had a great year.
    That really does stink. Even if his team hadn’t made the playoffs, I wanted to see Zion finish out the year.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Zion Williamson out indefinitely with fractured finger; David Griffin says officiating is at fault
    https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...53c241a88.html

Friday, the Pelicans announced their 20-year-old star has a fractured left ring finger and will be out indefinitely. Executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said the team was unable to pinpoint the moment the injury occurred. Griffin also blamed the way Williamson is officiated for his injury.
    Bummer.

17. BI also out indefinitely. This sucks. Pels almost stole one from the 76ers today.

Yup.

Here is a list of players who have scored 60 points in a NBA game... unless I missed a name, not a single other Dukie on the list: https://www.landofbasketball.com/rec...ore_points.htm
    To be fair, though, that list is pretty much Wilt, Elgin Baylor, and Kobe. Doesnt leave a lot of room for Dukies.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Sure, but I think the 7 game series vs 1-and-done NCAA tournament difference is important here. You can spend a couple games playing imperfectly while you're reintegrating and still be fine (well, as long as you're not in the play-in part... possibly relevant for the Lakers...). IF Harden is healthy, the Nets will be the favorites not just in the East but overall.

Zion (and Brandon?) on the bench tonight watching the Pelicans come from behind to beat Charlotte on the ro-ad. See, it's not that hard.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013