Page 7 of 87 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Zion looked gassed in the 4th. Conditioning will have to improve.
    I'm no expert on the NBA, but 38 minutes in an ultra early season game (and being road underdogs to boot) seems like a lot...five DNPs for the Pels, plus two other guys who only played 9 and 3 minutes.

Even Tatum only played 33 minutes in the one point loss to the Bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm no expert on the NBA, but 38 minutes in an ultra early season game (and being road underdogs to boot) seems like a lot...five DNPs for the Pels, plus two other guys who only played 9 and 3 minutes.

Even Tatum only played 33 minutes in the one point loss to the Bucks...
    He actually played 33 minutes in the one-post win over the Bucks.

Unless they reviewed his game-winning 3 and turned it into a foul shot.

I understand that, that’s why I said he looked winded from the moment he came back on the court in the fourth quarter.

Pels aren’t going to win anything playing defense like that. They all sag to the middle and repeatedly leave 3pt shooters wide open. I realize there was little preseason prep time but no excuse for Pels failing Defense 101. Thought SVG would have them better prepared.

Mmmmm, eggnog.

Gotta take a break, though, to post that this Nets-Celtics game is awesome. High-quality basketball entertainment for anyone interested.

FYI, Kyrie is like trying again on defense. He does this every couple of years, haha. He looks great on both ends of the court.

6. Happy to see Kyrie (and Durant) killing it with the Nets. Will quiet some of the pawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Pels aren’t going to win anything playing defense like that. They all sag to the middle and repeatedly leave 3pt shooters wide open. I realize there was little preseason prep time but no excuse for Pels failing Defense 101. Thought SVG would have them better prepared.
    Gotta credit the Heat as well. They were moving the ball incredibly well. That’s hard to guard.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Gotta credit the Heat as well. They were moving the ball incredibly well. That’s hard to guard.
    Without a doubt. Heat were moving the ball around well. Good offense vs bad defense is how the Heat went on a 52-21 run in the first half.

The great news is that Zion is looking like his old self and also is playing smarter in terms of preserving his body. He's still bullying the paint but is choosing layups over the monstrous highlight dunks. If he stays healthy he is going to have an absolutely monstrous season offensively. But they aren't going to win many games unless the team learns to play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I understand that, that’s why I said he looked winded from the moment he came back on the court in the fourth quarter.
    Gotcha...(last year he look winded when he played 15 minutes)...I was never a huge fan of last year's odd minutes limitation, but I'd like to think they pace the man a bit more than 38 minutes/game...

Allen and Jones getting some burn for Memphis tonight. I haven't heard any updates on Winslow since he tweaked his hip (I think) a few months ago and he doesn't appear to be on the active roster.

Cassius gets the first points of his career. He tried to grab a couple more in garbage time, but was denied.

Well, this is annoying. Trae Young went after Grayson for allegedly tripping him. I guess the two have history but Young is being ridiculous here. The video doesn't show anything that looks remotely intentional. Grayson responds well and hopefully this is nothing more than a silly media blip for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Well, this is annoying. Trae Young went after Grayson for allegedly tripping him. I guess the two have history but Young is being ridiculous here. The video doesn't show anything that looks remotely intentional. Grayson responds well and hopefully this is nothing more than a silly media blip for him.
    Obviously Grayson has a history and is never going to get the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, it's crazy for Trae Young, a rising All-Star in the NBA to do this. It's just beneath him. They were aggressively trying to trap Young at the end of the game. Dillon Brooks (who literally stomped on someone in college, I might add) gives an aggressive hip check. It's just a super minor thing that Allen's foot is involved in this. This is like his senior year when every play of the season was slowed down to make it seem like it was some long-planned hit job when the reality was the NBA players' feet get tangled up in every game. It's a cheap shot and Young is beyond bizarre for wanting to go after a borderline starter like Allen. Never punch down.

It looked like a trip to me.

Marques got the garbage time minutes instead of coming in cold as the designated free throw shooter so he was actually able to get his first basket.

Yeah, that’s nothing at all. What a joke.

Hey, I remember tripping from my college days, and that there isn't tripping!

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    It looked like a trip to me.
    if you mean that feet got tangled, yes. Trae's assertion that it was somehow intentional is stupid a.f.

Hey, I remember tripping from my college days, and that there isn't tripping!
    Hey man! Dock Ellis threw a complete-game no-hitter while tripping, so who's to say that none of those guys involved weren't?

Also, i don't know how to write code to do this, but has anybody set up a Duke alumni box score for this year? It has been a very helpful tool in the past and would love to see it again this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Ahhh yes, but what sheer genius on the court when healthy. Enjoy his brilliance whenever you can for as long as it lasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    It’s probably blasphemous to say on here but I don’t really like him. His brilliance is in his game, unfortunately not in his brain.
    We don't really know Kyrie that well, though, (close to not at all) and so it makes sense to ignore the weird things he says to the media and enjoy his basketball. I like Kyrie despite the silly things that come from his mouth because his job is to entertain me, and he does it very, very successfully. I don't care about the other stuff. This goes for all entertainers, not just basketball players, too. I figure that in 80% of cases, if I got to know a singer, actor, bball player, what-have-you, really well, got to know his or her personality traits, his or her opinions about the world, I would be aghast. Luckily I don't know any entertainers really well, including Kyrie. Keeping in mind that the image entertainers present to the media is usually not what they are really like in private (and I think this goes for Kyrie, too), I just try to focus on their work product and whether it delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We don't really know Kyrie that well, though, (close to not at all) and so it makes sense to ignore the weird things he says to the media and enjoy his basketball. I like Kyrie despite the silly things that come from his mouth because his job is to entertain me, and he does it very, very successfully. I don't care about the other stuff. This goes for all entertainers, not just basketball players, too. I figure that in 80% of cases, if I got to know a singer, actor, bball player, what-have-you, really well, got to know his or her personality traits, his or her opinions about the world, I would be aghast. Luckily I don't know any entertainers really well, including Kyrie. Keeping in mind that the image entertainers present to the media is usually not what they are really like in private (and I think this goes for Kyrie, too), I just try to focus on their work product and whether it delivers.
    Sound advice. I have to admit in this age of the Internet I have unintentionally come to learn things about actors and other entertainers that I wish I had not discovered about them, because it has definitely changed my perception about them.

In the case of how much we know about those that entertain us, ignorance is bliss.