Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1725
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    If JJ was lied to then it’s a problem. However NBA teams need to start putting these players in their place. From Kawai to AD yo Harden these guys have really hurt the game by demanding where they play while under contract. Honor your contract
    Kawai? Didn't Toronto trade for him despite knowing he likely wouldn't resign?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Kawai? Didn't Toronto trade for him despite knowing he likely wouldn't resign?
    You don’t remember when Kawai Leonard forced his way out of San Antonio? The Spurs wanted to keep him but he exaggerated the seriousness of an injury and refused to play. Then he let it be known that he wanted out. The Spur’s had no choice but to trade him. It was an ugly scene.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    The only ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak basketball season.
    Roy of sunshine?

If JJ was lied to then it’s a problem. However NBA teams need to start putting these players in their place. From Kawai to AD yo Harden these guys have really hurt the game by demanding where they play while under contract. Honor your contract
    I have been struggling with how to respond to this, because I REALLY hate this phrasing. Just what is the players' "place" they need to be put into? Should they have any less control over their contracts than the teams they are contracting with? I have no problem with a player using whatever leverage they might have to get themselves into a situation that is right for them, regardless of what might be right for the team. They are the value-creators in this equation. Can that go too far? Sure. Faking an injury (if that's what happened in Kawai's case) is not acceptable. But I can't fault a player for expressing a preference and indicating unhappiness with their current situation and trying to get changes that put them in a better place. Situations change, and how things look in a player's fourth year may look vastly different from how you thought things might be at the moment the deal was signed. A contract is just a business agreement between two parties. Nothing more and nothing less. It is not a sacred pact. If you can get changes made, and think you can get the other party to agree, by all means you should go ahead. That's true for both parties.

In JJ's specific case, there's no hint - by JJ or anyone else - that he doesn't intend to honor his contract. He felt lied to, and he expressed his displeasure publicly, because that was really his only recourse. There would have been no reasonable way to get that promise locked into the contract, but JJ clearly felt it was an important reason why he signed the deal, and when that undeerstanding wasn't honored, JJ said so. Now he's moving to Dallas and both parties seem to be making the best of the new situation.

But his "place" is equal to that of Dallas and New Orleans, not inferior to it, which is what that expression implies.

Lots of Duke mentions in Zach Lowe's weekly 10 Things column:
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...xing-things-up

Most of them are bad...Justise (his own segment), Luke, Marvin...but Zion gets his own segment and it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I have been struggling with how to respond to this, because I REALLY hate this phrasing. Just what is the players' "place" they need to be put into? Should they have any less control over their contracts than the teams they are contracting with? I have no problem with a player using whatever leverage they might have to get themselves into a situation that is right for them, regardless of what might be right for the team. They are the value-creators in this equation. Can that go too far? Sure. Faking an injury (if that's what happened in Kawai's case) is not acceptable. But I can't fault a player for expressing a preference and indicating unhappiness with their current situation and trying to get changes that put them in a better place. Situations change, and how things look in a player's fourth year may look vastly different from how you thought things might be at the moment the deal was signed. A contract is just a business agreement between two parties. Nothing more and nothing less. It is not a sacred pact. If you can get changes made, and think you can get the other party to agree, by all means you should go ahead. That's true for both parties.

In JJ's specific case, there's no hint - by JJ or anyone else - that he doesn't intend to honor his contract. He felt lied to, and he expressed his displeasure publicly, because that was really his only recourse. There would have been no reasonable way to get that promise locked into the contract, but JJ clearly felt it was an important reason why he signed the deal, and when that undeerstanding wasn't honored, JJ said so. Now he's moving to Dallas and both parties seem to be making the best of the new situation.

But his "place" is equal to that of Dallas and New Orleans, not inferior to it, which is what that expression implies.
    I completely agree with this. Imagine if you took a job in the professional workspace with a specific manager. Then, that manager either moved on or got replaced. The new manager has a different agenda, different personality, or different set of marching orders. If you didn't fit with any of those, you would probably look elsewhere for a new gig.

Labor relations are the same everywhere. Just because you get paid a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean you're happy. And it also doesn't mean you are blindly loyal to whoever your employer is.

I don't know you. I don't know your age, I don't know when and where you grew up.

So, I'll give you the benefit of assuming you didn't think about the subtext of telling a group of largely Black workers that they need to do a better job of knowing their place and staying in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I don't know you. I don't know your age, I don't know when and where you grew up.

So, I'll give you the benefit of assuming you didn't think about the subtext of telling a group of largely Black workers that they need to do a better job of knowing their place and staying in it.
    Oh my. I admit I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the initial post about putting players in their place. But I didn't want to say it out loud. Thanks for saying it for me, Jim.

9. Hey everyone, it's Kawhi Leonard not Kawai Leonard.

Kawai means "cute" in Japanese and now I can't stop snickering, thinking of Leonard as Japanese cute.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Hey everyone, it's Kawhi Leonard not Kawai Leonard.

Kawai means "cute" in Japanese and now I can't stop snickering, thinking of Leonard as Japanese cute.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I wish they would start using that drop on the radio again. Just really great.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Thanks for articulating my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I wish they would start using that drop on the radio again. Just really great.
    I don't know what's better: the "I'm a fun guy" comment or the epic laugh.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Not much fun watching the Pelicans - Hawks game tonight... Zion, Brandon and Cam are all out with injuries.

Trent with 24 for Toronto in a 53 point win over the Warrioers...the eyepopper was he had a +/- of +54 in the game...not sure I've ever seen one that high...

I like the Kawai spelling better.

A relatively quiet night for Duke alums, scoring an even 100 points.
    Kyrie led the way with 24, followed by Jayson Tatum with 22.
    Wendell Carter had a good game in ORL, with 16-9-4-3-1. All of his averages are up (except 3FG%) since moving to ORL, albeit in only 5 games.
    Grayson Allen scored 15 on 14 FGs, and Tyus had 5-5 for Duke Beale St. Justise was not served.
    Luke Kennard also scored 15 on only 10 FGs.
    Vernon Carey got in the game but missed his FGAs.
    Seth Curry had an off night, scoring 3 on 6 FGs.

Since this forum loves precision when it comes to language, my "well actually" contribution is this:

Kowai (koh-why) means scary.

Kawaii (kah-why-ee) means cute.

Kawai (kah-why) is a Japanese musical instrument company known for their pianos.

The first two could be applied to Kawhi with various levels of humorous effect. Though I suppose even the third is funny if you envision him as a piano mover.

Kyrie with another big game for the Nets, scoring 40 on 28 FGs, to go with 7 assists in the win over the New York RJ Barrett's. RJ scored 22 on 13 FGs, to go with 4 rebounds.
    Gary Trent scored 16 on 15 FGs in the win over WAS.
    Frank Jackson continues to re-animate his career in DET, scoring 10 on 7 FGs in the win over OKC.
    Tre Jones saw some court time, made the most of it with 2 FGs for 4 pts, 1 assist and 1 steal.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Kyrie with another big game for the Nets, scoring 40 on 28 FGs, to go with 7 assists in the win over the New York RJ Barrett's. RJ scored 22 on 13 FGs, to go with 4 rebounds.
    Gary Trent scored 16 on 15 FGs in the win over WAS.
    Frank Jackson continues to re-animate his career in DET, scoring 10 on 7 FGs in the win over OKC.
    Tre Jones saw some court time, made the most of it with 2 FGs for 4 pts, 1 assist and 1 steal.
    The final three of Trent's points were a buzzer beating three pointer to win the game for Toronto, 103-101. I think it was #2 on Sportscenter's top 10. Nice way to get in good with your new teammates.