Page 66 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1725
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Money doesn't magically make it okay to be apart from your wife and kids.
    Very true, but JJ chose to be apart from his wife and kids because he wanted to be paid. JJ could have retired and spent as much time with his family as he wanted. An option that most people do not have. I am an extremely casual NBA fan so I'm not sure if this is an option but he could have asked the Pelicans to release him from his contract (I know the player's union would go bonkers). JJ could have taken care of JJ and his family but he wanted the plusses of his guaranteed contract without dealing with the negatives.

2. Guys, JJ was just saying he was lied to on a podcast. He's not suing the Pels. He's not making a mission statement about the hardships of being an NBA millionaire. His beef is not about Dallas per se. He understands the NBA is a business and he's not trying to convince you it's a social cause. It's not even about being away from family, as he was clearly ok with it given a certain set of conditions. Like most of us, he probably doesn't like to be lied to especially in a business context where there is great personal cost.

I wonder if we are projecting our own issues on the guy and creating a lot of strawmen.
    Last edited by ice-9; 04-01-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    JJ could have just stayed home. His point was that the Pels persuaded him to show up and then didn’t hold up their of the bargain (as JJ understood it).
    He could have but he wanted to be paid. JJ didn't say he wanted to opt out of the season to be close to his family. He asked to be traded to a very narrow list of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    He could have but he wanted to be paid. JJ didn't say he wanted to opt out of the season to be close to his family. He asked to be traded to a very narrow list of teams.
    If JJ wasn’t thinking of opting out or something along those lines, why would the Pels front office ask him to come to NO?
    Carolina delenda est

If JJ wasn’t thinking of opting out or something along those lines, why would the Pels front office ask him to come to NO?
    I don't think JJ was considering opting out because he could have at any point. Maybe JJ was lied to or maybe JJ heard what he wanted to hear. We will never know.

JJ and opting out - now I'm totally confused. Now I can see the error of our ways in calling Jalen Johnson "JJ" earlier in the season...

JJ could have just stayed home. His point was that the Pels persuaded him to show up and then didn’t hold up their of the bargain (as JJ understood it).
    Why didn't JJ get "the deal" put into his contract

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    My guess is because the pandemic hadn’t happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    People are making way to much of this. JJ felt misled by management. His only remedy was to let other people know what happened, and let them act accordingly. He felt wronged so got his ounce, pound, whatever of flesh.

Next play.
    Carolina delenda est

Actually, taking people at their word is very important in business. Yes, binding contracts are important, etc., but unless you work in a pure churn and burn environment making clear commitments and following through on them is key.

In my industry, when you do one deal with a counter party the hope and expectation is that you will do future deals. People talk to each other. That alone is a powerful incentive for parties to be very clear with each other and honor their word.
    This, completely.

Actually, taking people at their word is very important in business. Yes, binding contracts are important, etc., but unless you work in a pure churn and burn environment making clear commitments and following through on them is key.

In my industry, when you do one deal with a counter party the hope and expectation is that you will do future deals. People talk to each other. That alone is a powerful incentive for parties to be very clear with each other and honor their word.
    I offer two points:

In the case of an NBA trade, the front office of any franchise can't promise anything more than "try" to make a deal. It takes two to tango. (Or, is it "tangle?")

The JJ pod, "The Old Man and the Three," is an entrepreneurial opportunity with potential returns to JJ. He's making news and attracting viewers and listeners. He has reason to make news. "Stirring the Pot," I would call it.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Neither Zion nor BI listed on the Pel’s roster/box score in tonight’s game? Anyone know why?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

13. Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I don't think JJ was considering opting out because he could have at any point. Maybe JJ was lied to or maybe JJ heard what he wanted to hear. We will never know.
    JJ is widely respected in the industry, a veteran, and having listened to most of his podcasts, you just form an impression of his character.

Why you are not giving him the benefit of the doubt that what he says is true, I suspect we will never truly know.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Neither Zion nor BI listed on the Pel’s roster/box score in tonight’s game? Anyone know why?
    They have both opted to enter the transfer portal.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    They have both opted to enter the transfer portal.
    Geez. Someone's dry humping the snark tree.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Geez. Someone's dry humping the snark tree.
    After the last few weeks can you blame me?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    From nola.com:
    Zion Williamson missed Thursday's game against the Orlando Magic. The Pelicans' second-year star sprained his right thumb in the third quarter of his team's win over the Boston Celtics on Monday.
    New Orleans was also without Brandon Ingram against Orlando. The team's other All-Star forward is dealing with a right MTP (metatarsophalangeal) irritation. An MTP is a joint that connects the toes to larger bones in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    After the last few weeks can you blame me?
    No, I cannot. Roy retired so it hasn’t been all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    No, I cannot. Roy retired so it hasn’t been all bad.
    The only ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak basketball season.

If JJ was lied to then it’s a problem. However NBA teams need to start putting these players in their place. From Kawai to AD yo Harden these guys have really hurt the game by demanding where they play while under contract. Honor your contract