Page 61 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1725

Blue Devils on the move

Austin Rivers headed to OKC.

Gary Trent Jr. and Rodney Hood both to Toronto for Norman Powell. Not sure what the Blazers are thinking there.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    He got traded to Dallas instead.
    Wow, I think that move could pay dividends for both Dallas and JJ. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I would’ve preferred he go to one of the frontrunners and have a really good chance at an NBA championship. Dallas is not going to give him that, this year or next.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I would’ve preferred he go to one of the frontrunners and have a really good chance at an NBA championship. Dallas is not going to give him that, this year or next.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I was hoping JJ would win a title in his twilight years.

Long term, it's probably great for JJ. He's very well connected with "new" media, technology and investing. I bet he'll be a sponge around Mark Cuban.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Gary Trent Jr. and Rodney Hood both to Toronto for Norman Powell. Not sure what the Blazers are thinking there.
    They are thinking that Norman Powell is an upgrade on Gary Trent and that Rodney Hood isn't really adding much (but they needed his salary to make the deal work). I hardly see that as a controversial thought process here. Powell is really good.

Powell is also about to be a free agent and is likely due a significant raise. Same with Trent though Trent is a RFA so Portland would have a little more control over him. That's the only downside I see in this deal for the Blazers.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    They are thinking that Norman Powell is an upgrade on Gary Trent and that Rodney Hood isn't really adding much (but they needed his salary to make the deal work). I hardly see that as a controversial thought process here. Powell is really good.

Powell is also about to be a free agent and is likely due a significant raise. Same with Trent though Trent is a RFA so Portland would have a little more control over him. That's the only downside I see in this deal for the Blazers.
    Yep, Powell is the player now that people hope Trent can become: a true 3-and-D guy who is also capable of creating for himself. Trent is a 3 guy, but isn't good defensively and is strictly a catch-and-shoot guy.

The Blazers are going all-in now and will hope they can re-sign Powell in the offseason. The Raptors clear some cap space and hope that Trent will develop into a better all-around player with time, and on a cheaper deal.

Hood has been awful this year coming back from the achilles tear, so he was essentially just financial filler.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hood has been awful this year coming back from the achilles tear, so he was essentially just financial filler.
    Good thing he got paid when he did.

I’ve always rooted for Rodney in the NBA and especially enjoyed watching him play during his one year at Duke. Do you remember the spectacular missed dunk he had at Syracuse that would have won the game in overtime? That was a jaw-dropping moment.

JJ's on an expiring contract, so this move shouldn't affect what happens to him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Long term, it's probably great for JJ. He's very well connected with "new" media, technology and investing. I bet he'll be a sponge around Mark Cuban.
    Can’t wait for Cuban to appear on JJ’s podcast. That’ll be a great episode.

How does it make sense for NO? It got a couple of low-end players without upside and a 2nd round pick. It’s not like JJ was going to push them to a title this year, but he’s a solid professional for mentorship. How does this trade make them better for the future? I would have hoped they could have gotten more in return if they cut JJ lose. He averaged at least 15 ppg for 8 straight before this year and, after a terrible start in his first 15 games, has been shooting at one of the best percentages in the league again. The JJ and Zion pick and roll was extremely productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    How does it make sense for NO? It got a couple of low-end players without upside and a 2nd round pick. It’s not like JJ was going to push them to a title this year, but he’s a solid professional for mentorship. How does this trade make them better for the future? I would have hoped they could have gotten more in return if they cut JJ lose. He averaged at least 15 ppg for 8 straight before this year and, after a terrible start in his first 15 games, has been shooting at one of the best percentages in the league again. The JJ and Zion pick and roll was extremely productive.
    JJ didn't want to be there, NO didn't really need him. It was mutual and amicable.

Return wasn't good, but no one is going to give a lot for a 37-year old sharpshooter who can no longer play defense.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I was not addressing whether or not it made sense for New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    JJ's on an expiring contract, so this move shouldn't affect what happens to him next year.
    Yes, I understand that. I added the “or next” purely because JJ doesn’t have a lot of time left to win a title. So not being traded to a legit top-tier team is more precious time lost for the old man and the three.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Already happened IIRC. It was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    He already did once.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Rr6wQsuuk

Yes, I understand that. I added the “or next” purely because JJ doesn’t have a lot of time left to win a title. So not being traded to a legit top-tier team is more precious time lost for the old man and the three.
    Haha, “The old man and the three.” Very clever. I once read an Ernest Hemingway novel with that title. It’s been thirty years, though; I might be mistaken.

Jabari was waived by Sacramento. He was averaging less than 3 points a game. It's hard to believe how quietly Parker's career has faded. He was a huge recruit and a very, very good college player. I thought with his skill level, seeming maturity and pedigree he would have, at worst, a solid journeyman career. He was a victim of injuries and his attitude toward defense (and his decision to explicitly state it when he was coming up for a new contract) did him no favors. If no one picks him up he has earned 50+million dollars and should be set for a wonderful post career life.

Haha, “The old man and the three.” Very clever. I once read an Ernest Hemingway novel with that title. It’s been thirty years, though; I might be mistaken.
    Heming-from-way-downtown?

JJ is actually pretty good as a podcaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Jabari was waived by Sacramento. He was averaging less than 3 points a game. It's hard to believe how quietly Parker's career has faded. He was a huge recruit and a very, very good college player. I thought with his skill level, seeming maturity and pedigree he would have, at worst, a solid journeyman career. He was a victim of injuries and his attitude toward defense (and his decision to explicitly state it when he was coming up for a new contract) did him no favors. If no one picks him up he has earned 50+million dollars and should be set for a wonderful post career life.
    Wow, you're right, that is not what was expected after his high school and college years.

Also, anyone PM me if you had Miles Plumlee out-earning Jabari in the NBA, I'd like to hear about your stock picks...

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Yeah, I always rooted for Jabari, but never felt he was a guy who worked especially hard...the result of getting by on talent alone for a long time I suppose...