Page 48 of 87 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    maybe it's been covered, but I chuckled at Ingram's oblique dis of Lebron, saying Zion is the first player he's played with who's as good as he is...
    That’s hilarious! First Kyrie, and now Brandon. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, would have been nice to see that 2019 team take it all, and Zion was such a thrill to watch.

But that team was not dominant by season's end -- they played 3 games in the NCAA that could have gone either way:

Duke 77 -- UCF 76 (as Johnny's son went wild)
    Duke 75 -- VaTech 73
    Michigan State 68 -- Duke 67

FWIW, the 1986 and 1999 losses stung more, and there are others which were painful.
    Yes, 86 is the worst and 99 the most unexpected loss. Zion’s team didn’t have all the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yes, 86 is the worst and 99 the most unexpected loss. Zion’s team didn’t have all the pieces.
    In my humble opinion, nothing is even close to 1986. We were clearly the best team in the country; we played well enough to win; we lost on an airball by Louisville; and we had no idea at the time whether or not we would ever get back to a Final Four let alone win a National Championship. It still hurts to think about that game.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    In my humble opinion, nothing is even close to 1986. We were clearly the best team in the country; we played well enough to win; we lost on an airball by Louisville; and we had no idea at the time whether or not we would ever get back to a Final Four let alone win a National Championship. It still hurts to think about that game.
    Yep. I was in Dallas for that game, and got a well deserved hangover the next morning. Brain cells do not regenerate, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Right... but one more fully intact shoe would have helped immensely, IMHO (where the H disappeared in McNichols Arena after our loss to UNLV in 1990).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Most painful loss ever and I agree it is not even close. I was a freshman watching the game alongside 2000 of the closest friends on a big screen on the quad on West campus. After the game, me and 5 of my friends wandered over to Cameron where there was a piece of gum stuck on the ground. We declared that piece of gum to be Louisville and proceeded to spit on it. I will neither confirm nor deny if urine and vomit also made their way onto that cursed stick of gum.

I still have nightmares about that game...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

We had Jay Bilas.

Yeah. It was tge first time back to the title game since '78 and the 5th final four for Duke.

Concur.

If you ask me what one game/match/event ever in any sport I want back, I don't even have to think about it, and it's this one.

With my teams this includes lost super bowls, lost WS game six/sevens, slam finals, one-stroke golf majors, and finishing second for some academic jobs myself.

No matter. It's 1986. I feel like I should say one of the four women's finals my teams have lost (Duke 1999/2006, Mississippi State 2017/2018) but I suppose picking one of those would be second.

The women's loss to maryland is just an awful memory

I want to replay the 1966 FF with a healthy Bob Verga.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Most of the folks who hang around here weren't even born then.

I want somebody to figure out a way to go back in time and pirate one of Rosa Ponselle's six performances of L'amore dei tre re in 1929. Probably one of those in Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I want somebody to figure out a way to go back in time and pirate one of Rosa Ponselle's six performances of L'amore dei tre re in 1929. Probably one of those in Philadelphia.
    Could you please translate that into English? Thank you. 😉

P.S. I apologize for my Philistine nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Could you please translate that into English? Thank you. 😉

P.S. I apologize for my Philistine nature.
    The Love of Three Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, would have been nice to see that 2019 team take it all, and Zion was such a thrill to watch.

But that team was not dominant by season's end -- they played 3 games in the NCAA that could have gone either way:

Duke 77 -- UCF 76 (as Johnny's son went wild)
    Duke 75 -- VaTech 73
    Michigan State 68 -- Duke 67

FWIW, the 1986 and 1999 losses stung more, and there are others which were painful.
    I’d like to submit 2002 as a candidate to be mentioned in the same breath as 86 and 99.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    I’d like to submit 2002 as a candidate to be mentioned in the same breath as 86 and 99.
    1994: ten-point lead with seven minutes to go.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If we're ranking disappointing losses-a strange way to while away the hours-than 1998 and 2004 have to be on my short list.

If we're ranking disappointing losses-a strange way to while away the hours-than 1998 and 2004 have to be on my short list.
    Yep. ‘98 was devastating not only because of the blown lead and the opponent, but because that was the de facto title game. The winner there was guaranteed to be the National Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Most painful loss ever and I agree it is not even close. I was a freshman watching the game alongside 2000 of the closest friends on a big screen on the quad on West campus. After the game, me and 5 of my friends wandered over to Cameron where there was a piece of gum stuck on the ground. We declared that piece of gum to be Louisville and proceeded to spit on it. I will neither confirm nor deny if urine and vomit also made their way onto that cursed stick of gum.

I still have nightmares about that game...
    Sounds like the shrooms were good that evening!