Page 33 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Marshall Plumlee is a United States Army Ranger.
    I admire that accomplishment more than being an NBA roster member.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Absolutely agree!

Only Army Ranger to win an NCAA basketball championship?

Tonight, Zion became second fastest to 1,000 points behind only Shaq. Took him just 44 games. And, of course, he was on minutes restrictions for 20+ games last season. Wow.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Duke south just won 3 in a row. They are finally coming together. Zion and BI have been doing the heavy lifting but Lonzo and Bledsoe's outside shooting is often determinative of the outcome. They've also managed to cut down on the turnovers, unlike some collegiate programs I will not mention. SVG wisely benched Hayes and Hernangomez has been a great jolt of energy off the bench for the second unit. Redick's shooting well from 3 again. All is good.

On a similar note, the Pelicans announcers were extremely complimentary of Tyus and borderline incredulous that Minnesota let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Duke south just won 3 in a row. They are finally coming together. Zion and BI have been doing the heavy lifting but Lonzo and Bledsoe's outside shooting is often determinative of the outcome. They've also managed to cut down on the turnovers, unlike some collegiate programs I will not mention. SVG wisely benched Hayes and Hernangomez has been a great jolt of energy off the bench for the second unit. Redick's shooting well from 3 again. All is good.

On a similar note, the Pelicans announcers were extremely complimentary of Tyus and borderline incredulous that Minnesota let him walk.
    Nice win for the Pels over the Grizzlies. It's not going to take major shape until both franchises are ready to be contenders, but obviously Zion and Morant are going to be rivals having been picked #1 and #2 overall in the 2019 draft.

Hello, Derrick Rose -- Goodbye, Austin Rivers

The Knicks and Thibs pick up former MVP Derrick Rose, making Austin Rivers available to be dealt
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Knicks and Thibs pick up former MVP Derrick Rose, making Austin Rivers available to be dealt
    This move makes no sense to me. I like how Austin has played with the second unit and don’t see Rose as an upgrade. We’ll see what happens, I don’t think Austin leaving is a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Happens - he has had a good year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Happens - he has had a good year so far.
    Agree. I've previously posted on his progress this year. We need him for us to win.

Will be interesting to see what the addition of Rose does to the rotation at PG. Hoping it doesn't grab too many minutes from Quickley.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Will be interesting to see what the addition of Rose does to the rotation at PG. Hoping it doesn't grab too many minutes from Quickley.
    The Knicks would be wise to give Rose serious minutes. NY wants to make the playoffs this season and he is still quite good. Here is what he would average if he was playing 36 minutes per game this season: 22.4ppg, 6.6apg, 1.9spg, 3.1rpg. He is shooting a respectable 33% from 3 (3-point shooting has always been a problem for him) and is a vet who plays fairly decent defense. I cannot imagine why a team would play Elfrid Payton over him.

-Jason "Thibs should probably play Rose 30+ minutes per game and give the other minutes at PG to Quickley. See if someone will give you a 2nd rounder for Payton, though I doubt you get many takers" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

a rather un-glorious day in the NBA, as only 1 game had Duke alum in it. In a loss to the Raptors, Tyus Jones had a rather forgettable game, scoring only 4 pts on 1-6 FGs + 2-2 FTs, with 2 assists and 2 turnovers. Grayson Allen had a much better day, scoring 12 pts on 3-6 3FGs and 3-3 FTs. On the season Grayson's scoring over 1 pt per used offensive possession. His overall FG% is almost identical to his 3FG% (~38%), and his 90% FTs keeps his efficiency at an acceptable level. He started off quite poorly this year and has been on an upswing for a bit now.
    Quinn Cook got a DNP-CD, Tre Jones, Vernon Carey and Big 'Ques are in the G-League and Wendell Carter didn't play, was not DNP-CD, and is listed as "active" so i don't know what's up with him.

What IS up with Wendell? Hasn’t played in forever

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    What IS up with Wendell? Hasn’t played in forever
    He has a quad injury, pretty severe. I think he is out until the end of this month, at least. His NBA career has been marred by injuries every season (he has never played in more than 44 games) and it is really impacting his value to his team. Chicago has a tough decision to make with Wendell in the off-season as his rookie contract will be up after next season. They may try to sign him to an extension fairly soon in the hope of getting him cheap. If he gets healthy, that could be a good deal for the team. But, if the injuries continue, they could be paying money to a guy who isn't playing. They could just let him play it out and see whether he is finally healthy, but if he plays well next year, he will likely be considerably more expensive as a restricted free agent.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He has a quad injury, pretty severe. I think he is out until the end of this month, at least. His NBA career has been marred by injuries every season (he has never played in more than 44 games) and it is really impacting his value to his team. Chicago has a tough decision to make with Wendell in the off-season as his rookie contract will be up after next season. They may try to sign him to an extension fairly soon in the hope of getting him cheap. If he gets healthy, that could be a good deal for the team. But, if the injuries continue, they could be paying money to a guy who isn't playing. They could just let him play it out and see whether he is finally healthy, but if he plays well next year, he will likely be considerably more expensive as a restricted free agent.
    The Athletic covered it here: https://theathletic.com/2350534/2021...jr-injury-nba/

Subscription required but c'mon if you're reading this random message board page you would like The Athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    The Athletic covered it here: https://theathletic.com/2350534/2021...jr-injury-nba/

Subscription required but c'mon if you're reading this random message board page you would like The Athletic.
    Funny you say that. I tried a subscription for a but, but found more value here!

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Funny you say that. I tried a subscription for a b[i]t, but found more value here!
    Yeah, if it weren't for their frequent $1/month deals, I probably wouldn't recommend subscribing to The Athletic just because, at least for me, there's already so much free and great sports content out there on the internet (usually not on message boards, though) that, due to lack of time, I can't consume. Why pay for more sports content that I won't get around to consuming, that also might not be as interesting or illuminating as the free stuff? Not to mention, all the free and great content in other areas of interests besides sports that I don't have enough time to consume.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Nice win for the Pels over the Grizzlies. It's not going to take major shape until both franchises are ready to be contenders, but obviously Zion and Morant are going to be rivals having been picked #1 and #2 overall in the 2019 draft.
    Both are S.C. boys and have known each other for years.

Both are S.C. boys and have known each other for years.
    Yep, they're going to be friendly rivals, not hated rivals, one would hope.