Page 28 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Cam was really good. Hit that Clutch 3 in that mega comeback against Louisville and a few when needed against UCF for that other insane comeback. Played well in the ACC tourney. Good person in general. I mean a freshman starting with Zion and RJ — exactly. To me he met expectations. And as a freshman. Meanwhile the rest of the shooters struggled so he was carrying extra expectations. I think the outcome of that season leaves major what-if disappointments all around, but I don’t see how that translates to one player, especially one who was chronically injured. I just remember being on the road and ducking into a bar to watch what was the most perfect game when RJ, Zion and Cam played flawlessly running on all cylinders and dismantled a top Kentucky team on national TV. They were incredible. One of the best performances of any Duke era. And everyone thought ... no one can beat this team. That’s how I choose to remember that team.

Cam is going to continue to grow into a very good pro.
    Little did we know at the time but that was their best game of the season.

Well

Cam was really good. Hit that Clutch 3 in that mega comeback against Louisville and a few when needed against UCF for that other insane comeback. Played well in the ACC tourney. Good person in general. I mean a freshman starting with Zion and RJ — exactly. To me he met expectations. And as a freshman. Meanwhile the rest of the shooters struggled so he was carrying extra expectations. I think the outcome of that season leaves major what-if disappointments all around, but I don’t see how that translates to one player, especially one who was chronically injured. I just remember being on the road and ducking into a bar to watch what was the most perfect game when RJ, Zion and Cam played flawlessly running on all cylinders and dismantled a top Kentucky team on national TV. They were incredible. One of the best performances of any Duke era. And everyone thought ... no one can beat this team. That’s how I choose to remember that team.

It's not entirely contradictory to say Cam was both good and a disappointment. He was a top three recruit and we've come to expect more from top three recruits at Duke. Cam's shooting wasn't great and his ballhandling was very weak, which was surprising given that he supposedly had point guard skills. He also is a year older than Zion and RJ, so I was hoping for a more polished player. On the other hand, he was a very good defensive player.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It's not entirely contradictory to say Cam was both good and a disappointment. He was a top three recruit and we've come to expect more from top three recruits at Duke. Cam's shooting wasn't great and his ballhandling was very weak, which was surprising given that he supposedly had point guard skills. He also is a year older than Zion and RJ, so I was hoping for a more polished player. On the other hand, he was a very good defensive player.
    in general i agree with your take. My take extends it a little bit to say that Cam was expected to be a pretty good 3pt shooter, and on a team that desperately needed at least one good 3pt shooter, he was not. His propensity for turnovers only amplified the concerns over his lack of shooting. So, as it turned out, he didn't do well 2 of the things he was recruited to do. That doesn't mean he was a bad player nor that he didn't contribute to the team.

Cam/Zion/RJ

During arguably the greatest recruiting class in modern history, the three candidates came into Duke with the following reputation:

RJ - the best player and most gifted scorer: RJ was the "prize" of the class; a high-volume scorer who excelled in the mid-range, at the rim, and in the open floor. A potential #1 pick.

Cam - the player with the highest upside: A lot of draft gurus thought Cam would be the #1 pick as he had it all: great size, good handle, really good 3pt shooter, excellent passer, really good defender. The only knock on Cam was his motor and motivation; outside of that, he had everything else.

Zion - the most athletic player: Zion wasn't known as a complete player coming into college. He was thought to have incredible dunks and great in the open floor. No one knew he would be one of the greatest front court players in the modern game. He wasn't on anyone's radar for the top spot.

Bottom line, compared to expectations, RJ hit expectations, Cam underwhelmed, and Zion exceeded.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    During arguably the greatest recruiting class in modern history, the three candidates came into Duke with the following reputation:

RJ - the best player and most gifted scorer: RJ was the "prize" of the class; a high-volume scorer who excelled in the mid-range, at the rim, and in the open floor. A potential #1 pick.

Cam - the player with the highest upside: A lot of draft gurus thought Cam would be the #1 pick as he had it all: great size, good handle, really good 3pt shooter, excellent passer, really good defender. The only knock on Cam was his motor and motivation; outside of that, he had everything else.

Zion - the most athletic player: Zion wasn't known as a complete player coming into college. He was thought to have incredible dunks and great in the open floor. No one knew he would be one of the greatest front court players in the modern game. He wasn't on anyone's radar for the top spot.

Bottom line, compared to expectations, RJ hit expectations, Cam underwhelmed, and Zion exceeded.
    Maybe my memory is not perfect, but Zion was on my list for the most unusually great basketball player in the history of the game. It was evident after the exhibition games in Canada that no one had ever combined muscular mass and strength, athleticism (jumping), and refinement in basketball skills. Kid had just turned 18. That's not to say a team with Zion would be unbeatable, but he was unique as a strong, skilled basketball player.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Maybe my memory is not perfect, but Zion was on my list for the most unusually great basketball player in the history of the game. It was evident after the exhibition games in Canada that no one had ever combined muscular mass and strength, athleticism (jumping), and refinement in basketball skills. Kid had just turned 18. That's not to say a team with Zion would be unbeatable, but he was unique as a strong, skilled basketball player.
    That's why I said coming into Duke as per my post. It became evident pretty early on that Zion was going to be special.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    That's why I said coming into Duke as per my post. It became evident pretty early on that Zion was going to be special.
    For me, it was right around here:

https://youtu.be/aq6ovulrIb4?t=71

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post

Oh. My. God.

Watching Zion again in college is just.

Just.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Oh. My. God.

Watching Zion again in college is just.

Just.

- Chillin
    https://youtu.be/-dzXCT7Sy-s

Also came to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Maybe true, BUT Cam stepped up and HIT THE BIG SHOTS. Without him Duke flat out loses to FSU (drilled the game winner at the buzzer); Duke loses to Louisville (again -- hits the big shot); Duke goes out unceremoniously in the 2nd Round (which would have been the biggest news in sports) against Taco and UCF. Cam, as a chronically injured freshman, had some inconsistencies during the regular season. But the last half of the season didn't have Zion (after the UNC game). What was more underwhelming for me was the upper classmen who were in awful shooting slumps from outside and the field in general. This enabled teams to pack the lanes. Agreed, Cam was also a good defensive player. So, I had high expectations for Cam, but I'm not surprised by his growing success in the NBA and I personally am not disappointed by one freshman player, but totally get where you're coming from. I attribute great contributions from him to 3 or 4 epic wins. Was looking forward to him and the entire team getting the big one. I have absolutely no doubt if they got past MSU they would have dominated the Final Four. Side note: Auburn in my mind won. UVA were gifted the championship.

Oh, yes! However, social media and Youtube fans were stoked about him the one or two years before Duke.

And then he went national with this preseason free throw line dunk.

However RJ was lauded as the big impact player (#1) coming into the season and Zion as the showtime Dunker. Meaning Zion was a little underrated. People undervalued his ball handling, speed, passing, defense/blocking, and ability to explode Jordan sneaks.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    There's a lot of speculation online. For example, this article suggests KI is willing to sit out the rest of the season because he's so unhappy with the Nets. Why? (Shoulder Shrug).

Odd situation. I continue to hope KI is okay; this is unusual behavior.
    Or, maybe he'll come back soon and shoot lights out. Another reason I discount a lot of speculation online, particularly related to sports, particularly related to Kyrie.

and ability to explode Jordan sneaks.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Down 23 with 9 minutes remaining.

https://youtu.be/OydPe7ZtdRY
    And Goldwire was on the floor for all 9 minutes with some key plays.

How could a team of such great players not have made it to the Final Four ????

Was the big disappointment in 2018-19 the players or the way those players played?

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post

Was the big disappointment in 2018-19 the players or the way those players played?
    Ironically, it was a recruiting problem. Didn't have enough shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post

It was the freakin' shoe disintegration in front of Obama, LeBron and (God forbid) Floyd Mayweather, Jr.! Zion sat for weeks, and the team festered while he was out.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post

*Le Sigh*

Not sure why we are discussing the player Zion WAS when we could be discussing the player he IS.

I don’t want to jinx it, but the Bucks stop here. (ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Ironically, it was a recruiting problem. Didn't have enough shooters.
    If only Gary Trent had stayed.