Page 24 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Irving is back:

"I'm back, I'm happy to be back," Irving told reporters. "And we got some great pieces and we just move on and I let my actions and my game speak for itself like I planned on doing. Just needed a pause."

Irving said that he "had a lot of family and personal stuff going on. So, just want to leave it at that."

Maybe Kyrie is the new Dennis Rodman: a great talent on the court, but a bit of a headcase who needs to scratch his (strange) itches from time to time. I'm reminded of the part of The Last Dance where Phil let Rodman have some time in Vegas away from the team, because, well, The Worm had to recharge, you know?

I hope Kyrie's issues don't reach Brian (Bison Dele) Williams' level. There are folks who appear to have been granted the greatest gifts in the world, and yet they just can't seem to find happiness in that...

Kyrie can be a weird dude, but he isn't even in the same stratosphere as Rodman. Nowhere close.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Kyrie can be a weird dude, but he isn't even in the same stratosphere as Rodman. Nowhere close.
    Sure, for now. But just wait till Kyrie shows up one day in drag...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    ...yet.

Rodman, like a fine wine, got better with age. He's probably decanted and been left our in the sun too long now. His Madonna years were peak Rodman, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by construe View Post
    Maybe Kyrie is the new Dennis Rodman: a great talent on the court, but a bit of a headcase who needs to scratch his (strange) itches from time to time. I'm reminded of the part of The Last Dance where Phil let Rodman have some time in Vegas away from the team, because, well, The Worm had to recharge, you know?

I hope Kyrie's issues don't reach Brian (Bison Dele) Williams' level. There are folks who appear to have been granted the greatest gifts in the world, and yet they just can't seem to find happiness in that...
    Shenanigans. Kyrie’s only apparent issue is something a lot of people deal with: continuing to find motivation to do a very demanding job which is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things when he sees so many other things in the world that need tending to.

Rodman had . . . other issues.

7. Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    The rest of the world can't pause their career to do whatever it is he is doing and still get paid
    Seriously? You can't take a paid week off from work?

8. Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Shenanigans. Kyrie’s only apparent issue is something a lot of people deal with: continuing to find motivation to do a very demanding job which is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things when he sees so many other things in the world that need tending to.
    You must spread it around etc. etc., but bravo great comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    You must spread it around etc. etc., but bravo great comment.
    I took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

Rodman had . . . other issues.
    This article does a nice job of summarizing the "Kyrie is a great person who deeply cares about other issues" argument, which many have advanced here. I'd encourage Kyrie's detractors to give it a read. Some corporations, entertainers, politicians, athletes adopt causes to advance a personal agenda. That is NOT Kyrie Irving. Most of this I didn't know about --- and I'm a Duke grad who follows Kyrie Irving in the NBA. Dude's got other things on his mind, important things. Is he maybe not the best professional and teammate? Perhaps but Cato makes a great point and Irving is turning into quite a humanitarian and philanthropist; we should be proud of that.

Irving donated $1.5 million to WNBA players who otherwise would not have been paid while sitting out of the league’s restart last season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He donated $323,000 toward feeding New York City families at the height of the coronavirus pandemic. He partnered with Nike to donate 17 pallets of food and 50,000 masks to the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, of which he identifies. Most recently, he bought a home for the family of George Floyd, who was killed by a Minneapolis police officer that kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes despite Floyd having died after

From Dec. 1-11, Irving made donations and charitable gestures every single day.

He donated money to Brooklyn’s Moms of Black Boys United for Social Change. He donated money as a reward to a Bronx family of four that gritted their way from a homeless shelter into permanent housing. He paid the college tuition for nine high school seniors who committed to Lincoln University, a historically black college (HBCU). He donated school supplies to 25 teenage Kenyan girls through an organization dedicated to advocating for women and girls impacted by past trauma. He donated 100 book bags with personal care items to teens and young adults at Newark’s Covenant House shelter.

In total, Irving has done more for the world than he could have done for the Nets in any of the six games he missed on personal leave. Irving has been scrutinized for his absence. His commitment to basketball has been questioned, his private life made public.

Seriously? You can't take a paid week off from work?
    That’s a silly comparison and you know it. By sitting out 7 games, he missed about 10% of the regular season (a season that encompasses 5 months this year). His “paid leave” is taken in his 2nd season with the Nets after only playing 20 games in his 1st season due to injury.

None of that means Kyrie is a bad person, but he doesn’t appear committed to the team ($33 million aside) and I doubt he’s with the Nets much longer. Someone described him as a weird duck I think; and that seems to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That’s a silly comparison and you know it. By sitting out 7 games, he missed about 10% of the regular season (a season that encompasses 5 months this year). His “paid leave” is taken in his 2nd season with the Nets after only playing 20 games in his 1st season due to injury.

None of that means Kyrie is a bad person, but he doesn’t appear committed to the team ($33 million aside) and I doubt he’s with the Nets much longer. Someone described him as a weird duck I think; and that seems to fit.
    Hey now, I said an "odd duck." Very different.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

Especially when NBA players get 4+ months off in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Especially when NBA players get 4+ months off in the offseason.
    Only... only... only when they miss the playoffs.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Wanted to give a 'lil shout-out to arguably the best-performing Dukie in the NBA right now -- Quin Snyder.

With last night's spanking of Zion's Pels, the Jazz are now #3 in the NBA in schedule-adjusted net rating (basketball-reference). For those unfamiliar with that stat, it's essentially kenpom for the NBA, i.e. Utah is the #3 kenpom-ranked team in the NBA despite having far less than the #3 roster talent.

Digging into my point a little bit more, you can see in the table below that there are currently 5 teams in the NBA with huge separation on the rest of the league in adjusted net rating -- Lakers, Bucks, Jazz, Clippers, Nets. And (*cue Sesame St music*) "one of these teams is not like the other" in terms of having MVP-caliber talent.

(Note: you can see there is a huge swath of teams in the middle that are anywhere from +2 to -2 in net rating, and with those teams, I wouldn't take their rankings too seriously [especially if they have had to deal with Covid absences or injuries]. We're still early enough in the season that a team can play one or two great games and jump from like #15 to #9 if they're a part of that muddle in the middle).

16. Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

OK, you can't take a one month sabbatical from work?

OK, you can't take a one month sabbatical from work?
    Most people can't take a one month sabbatical from work, especially without lots of advance notice and planning.

As far as Kyrie missing some games for personal reasons it is up to his employer to approve such a thing or not, and if not they could fine him, demote him, cut him, publicly reprimand him, trade him, etc.

From what I’ve heard none of those things were done by Brooklyn Nets management/ownership. So I guess they’re fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    As far as Kyrie missing some games for personal reasons it is up to his employer to approve such a thing or not, and if not they could fine him, demote him, cut him, publicly reprimand him, trade him, etc.

From what I’ve heard none of those things were done by Brooklyn Nets management/ownership. So I guess they’re fine with it.
    He's got 30 points on 60% shooting in 37 minutes. Maybe add some more in OT. Guess Nash didn't have any issues inserting him right back into the line-up.

Back on court for the Nets, I wonder how the primary ball handling duties will break down.

Kyrie has consistently averaged 5 to 6+ assists per game over his career; James Harden has increased his assist total over the years, with 3 seasons of 10+ assists per game.